How Neowinians Surf the Net?

Which browser is your favourite?  

325 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

mswarts

I have used ALL of these. I like open-source, fully-functional browsers. Opera is nice too, but -- not open :(

But my #1 is Firefox! :yes:

I recommend posting why, but it's up to you.

Edit: Feel free to vote anyway, but if you haven't tried all of these, you should!

Edited by mswarts

tickbabies

I use IE. hasnt let me down yet.

rstroud

I've been using Firefox for over a year...I like tabbed browsing, it's fast, no popups (not one!) and no spyware is loaded on my machine. I'm sticking with it...

mswarts

Quick question-- do IE lovers *not* like tabbed browsing?

Colin-uk

Im using Crazybrowser, which is just a front end to IE so i suppose im using IE...just with tabbed browsing and a popup blocker and most of the other stuff firefox/bird has...

uniacidz

mswarts, you must know how to use the search feature and you must know these threads always end up as flame threads so why on earth start up another one of these threads? There is one roughly every week. Did you miss it this week?

:wacko:

tickbabies

well i just installed firefox. its pretty quick. ill try this out for a lil bit and see how it goes. as for the {do IE lovers *not* like tabbed browsing?} ive always used internet explorer and havent tried anything else until now. the tabbed browsing is a nice feature.

mswarts

Colin-uk,

1. Are you a web designer?

2. Do you know of the W3C?

3. Do you like open-source applications?

mswarts
mswarts, you must know how to use the search feature and you must know these threads always end up as flame threads so why on earth start up another one of these threads? There is one roughly every week. Did you miss it this week?

:wacko:

I like browser debates! I think a lot of people do. Besides, in a recent post, it was mention Fx users seem a majority, while IE is probably more used. I thought I'd put Neowinians to the test. Furthermore-- no flame yet. All comments should be constructive: why they LIKE a browser. Not why the HATE one. Firefox users tend to be Mozilla advocates, I admit. But people should learn to be understanding (and may feel free to openly disagree). Finally, as for the "searches" you think I don't do, the view of certain browsers changes over time. Old polls do not even show Firefox or kmeleon :no:

I want everyone to have a voice and feel welcome to use it.

And also, if nothing else, this is a success:

well i just installed firefox. its pretty quick. ill try this out for a lil bit and see how it goes. as for the {do IE lovers *not* like tabbed browsing?} ive always used internet explorer and havent tried anything else until now. the tabbed browsing is a nice feature.
justin89h

I use Internet Explorer, i dont really like it that much, its just that most webpages on the net are meant for it.

Rob

With me, I had always used IE since version 1 and... as a credit to Microsoft's monopoly tactics I guess, it didn't really occur to me to look elsewhere. And I consider myself an advanced PC user! Recently I installed Firefox to see what all the fuss was about and frankly I didn't see a reason to stay, there was nothing there that screamed "DITCH IE!" to me. I'm sure many of the features are very useful to many people, but to me PERSONALLY, Firefox didn't have enough that was different about IE to keep me there.

mswarts

kerodeon, most pages on the net aren't for IE. IE displays them well when they are not standard-compliant. However, Firefox (and most other browsers) support Quirks mode, which effectively solves the problem.

However, Windows Update, and a *few* other sites are IE ONLY! But that just makes me angry-- I don't use a browser I like less simply because I am bossed around.

Just my opinion. For many IE is more convenient and I won't fight them on that.

clonk
I like browser debates!? I think a lot of people do.

Well perhaps a lot of people USED to, until like another poster said 3 have been created every week since who knows how long. I mean, really, why does everyone need to say the same things over and over? I'll highlight the topics that would be covered to save everyone the time.

IE exploits

tabbed browsing

popup blocking

'bloat'

open source

'M$'

W3C standards

extensions

compatibility

plugins

google bar

monopoly

flaming

pipelining

MyIE2

Firefox

I think that should cover it.

Edited by clonk
kaffra

i like both Ie and Firefox, but mostly use ie, less hassle in compatibility with certain webpages

petroid

I use MyIE2. It's a great frontend for IE.

-=SD=-

I refuse to post my browser of choice! :whistle:

mswarts
Well perhaps a lot of people USED to, until like another poster said 3 have been created every week since who knows how long.  I mean, really, why does everyone need to say the same things over and over?  I'll highlight the topics that would be covered to save everyone the time.

IE exploits

Firefox

I think that should cover it.

If this becomes an aggressive browser war, I urge a moderator to close it. I think we are all pretty civilized. Also, his thread provides a central access point for key browser arguments and I hope to discuss more than just IE and Fx. I think most people don't know what Opera or k-meleon are, and the Neowin community is all about learning. If nobody is learning anything in this thread, I urge a moderator to close it. And finally, other posts are outdated frequently. I am constantly changin how I feel about certain browsers. Compare it to the election if you want. The campaigning may be excessive, but I still learning from them and determining how I feel. (BTW, I'll punch anybody that posts a politics-related post in this thread ;) )

P.S. you should be happy to know that a more vague browser debate means less threads about browsers. IMO.

Steffan
I refuse to post my browser of choice! :whistle:

I wonder which one you use.... ;)

I'm about 70 for firefox and 30 IE. I still have to IE for some stuff, like wu, win beta, and check my work email online. firefox is good, but IE is still better in some areas.

mswarts

No exclusive Mac users yet ;) They ALL vote Safari, lol

tlogank

sorry, but really there is no advantage to Firefox over Opera IMO, other than it is open...but let's be honest, less than 1% of the people who post about it can probably even take advantage of that. In all honesty, any Opera user that has used both browsers would have to be lying if they said that Opera wasn't more customizeable and easier to do it. Also, it can do everything that Firefox can do-and most of it without any plug-ins. Not flaming Firefox, it is still better than IE by far, and most any other browser I have used, I just think there is no advantage to it over Opera.

Edited by tlogank
mswarts

tlogank,

Everyone here can take advantage of opensource in at least two ways:

1. It is free without ads

2. If there was any code that had sly intent, it would be exposed, whereas Opera cannot make the same guarantee.

Don't get me wrong, I like Opera. It is STRICTLY standard-compliant with good CSS-Support. My congrats to the creators. But the future of software is open :)

session

firefox on pc

safari on mac

mswarts

I with you on that one session :D

BTW, I know Safari is partly open. Is it entirely? I'm not too sure :/

tlogank
tlogank,

Everyone here can take advantage of opensource in at least two ways:

1. It is free without ads

2. If there was any code that had sly intent, it would be exposed, whereas Opera cannot make the same guarantee.

Don't get me wrong, I like Opera. It is STRICTLY standard-compliant with good CSS-Support. My congrats to the creators. But the future of software is open :)

and your right, but I said being open is the only advantage Firefox has. Other than that, i find Opera having much more options to offer, along with using less system resources for me. Firefox is a great browser, and getting better, but Opera just seems a little quicker as of right now.

Rudy
Quick question-- do IE lovers *not* like tabbed browsing?
I dont care much about it..... I like using the taskbar better
1. Are you a web designer?

2. Do you know of the W3C?

3. Do you like open-source applications?

1. used to be

2. Yea, i dont really like them

3. not really, im a software developer and i dont believe in Open source

mswarts

Rudy, I'm confused about 2 and 3. You do *not* like the W3C? Firefox (and many other open-source projects) is made by paid software developers like yourself. Why do you not "believe in Open source"?

Just curious :) Not attacking you like a savage doberman!