• IE
    • Netscape
    • Mozilla
    • Firefox/bird
    • Safari
    • Opera
    • k-meleon
    • Camino
    • Other - You better post if you pick this!

Rudy, I'm confused about 2 and 3. You do *not* like the W3C? Firefox (and many other open-source projects) is made by paid software developers like yourself. Why do you not "believe in Open source"?

Just curious :) Not attacking you like a savage doberman!

i dont believe in Open source

You don't believe in open source? What is there not to believe in? It's not like santa claus or the boogieman... I guess you meant you don't agree with the principles of open source...

anyway, sorry... </nitpick>

Firefox for me mostly, and occasionally lynx or one of its derivatives when I only have console access.

I want to use Firefox, but I'm so stuck into Opera! I'm not a fan of tabbed browsing, tell me, can Firefox "open link in background" like Opera can? If so, please tell me how to enable it. :)

rumbleph1sh and HellBender, please don't kill yourselves. I'd feel terrible.

When was the last time you saw k-meleon or Camino in a browser thread though? ;) I am trying to expose people to all the browsers. This thread has one success each time someone *tries* another browser, whether they convert or not. It's like shopping around-- it makes for a smarter shopper :)

Sorry to those of you who have seen a bijillion browser threads though.

You do *not* like the W3C?
Nop, i do believe there should be a standard but i think the W3C is doing a crappy job at keeping the standard and adding to it
Firefox (and many other open-source projects) is made by paid software developers like yourself. Why do you not "believe in Open source"?

There's no profit to be made from Open Source softwares, you can't charge for something thats open source, so in the end i couldnt make a software and sell it if i give out the source. Going around the same path, a corporation cannot make profit from an Open Source software therefore they won't have as much money to put in development

There's lots of advantages and disadvantages with open source and im not going to go in depth but personally im noa big fan of it

You don't believe in open source? What is there not to believe in? It's not like santa claus or the boogieman... I guess you meant you don't agree with the principles of open source...

I dont believe its helping developers in general, i mean oubviously it does exist.... ;)

rumbleph1sh and HellBender, please don't kill yourselves. I'd feel terrible.

When was the last time you saw k-meleon or Camino in a browser thread though? ;) I am trying to expose people to all the browsers. This thread has one success each time someone *tries* another browser, whether they convert or not. It's like shopping around-- it makes for a smarter shopper :)

Sorry to those of you who have seen a bijillion browser threads though.

Well, why didn't you include MyIE2 or Avant browser, they are both fairly popular around here, but many n00bs might not know about them.

I want to use Firefox, but I'm so stuck into Opera! I'm not a fan of tabbed browsing, tell me, can Firefox "open link in background" like Opera can? If so, please tell me how to enable it. :)

Yes, you can arrange this via the Tool menu, or even better using an the Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE) at Texturizer.net

Happy days await you :)

But Opera isn't bad, so you went see a radical transformation like the users of other certain browsers. ;)

Yes, you can arrange this via the Tool menu, or even better using an the Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE) at Texturizer.net

Happy days await you :)

But Opera isn't bad, so you went see a radical transformation like the users of other certain browsers. ;)

Cool, I'll check it out.

Also, can you add custom search boxes to the toolbar, currently I have one, that's a drop down box and I can select different sites to search from, but can I add more physical text boxes?

There's no profit to be made from Open Source softwares, you can't charge for something thats open source, so in the end i couldnt make a software and sell it if i give out the source. Going around the same path, a corporation cannot make profit from an Open Source software therefore they won't have as much money to put in development

Actually, AOL (don't laugh) and various other companies funded the Mozilla group, so developers can make money. Open-source developers also often make money for support.

As for corporations, what do you think IBM does? Imagine this scenario-- a new business is being erected and they'd like to save money on their network computers. They see hmmm.. Linux = free. That company gets Linux/Unix base computers and (once again pay for support and stuff), but most importantly IBM gains mindshare which it uses to flex its business power. IBM is a monster corp and Linux makes it money.

P.S. I don't really know the inner-workings of Big Blue, so don't scold me if I'm partially inaccurate ;)

IE displays them well when they are not standard-compliant.
crap. where can you talk about standards, when de facto browser doesn't support them. nonsense. i don't like people talking about some self-invented uberstandards. thus, why did they make it different than ie? it's not normally. more than half web pages does not support these "firefox standarts". funny isn't it?

no offence.

using firefox.

better.

Well, why didn't you include MyIE2 or Avant browser, they are both fairly popular around here, but many n00bs might not know about them.

First of all, thanks a lot for calling me a n00b. That makes me feel like a real winner. Not. Let's be polite please. I am not a newbie.

Anyway, I did not include MyIE2 or Avant because they are faces of IE. I was a little inconsistent I suppose; Mozilla is a face of Netscape and Firefox of Mozilla, so I can see where you get the argument.

But also remember, I have the "Other", which those users appear to have elected, as those votes were followed by posts declaring so.

We'll call it my mistake, but mot of the "other" votes can safely bge attributed to the IE-face count.

I'll take your concern into consideration in the future. Thanks for the input. :)

First of all, thanks a lot for calling me a n00b. That makes me feel like a real winner. Not. Let's be polite please. I am not a newbie.

Anyway, I did not include MyIE2 or Avant because they are faces of IE. I was a little inconsistent I suppose; Mozilla is a face of Netscape and Firefox of Mozilla, so I can see where you get the argument.

But also remember, I have the "Other", which those users appear to have elected, as those votes were followed by posts declaring so.

We'll call it my mistake, but mot of the "other" votes can safely bge attributed to the IE-face count.

I'll take your concern into consideration in the future. Thanks for the input. :)

My saying "n00bs" was in no way calling you one (you have more posts than me), I was just saying that it would be good to list them because n00bs may have never heard of those browsers and one of your points of the poll was to get people to learn about alternatives out there. Nothing meant towards you.

crap. where can you talk about standards, when de facto browser doesn't support them. nonsense. i don't like people talking about some self-invented uberstandards. thus, why did they make it different than ie? it's not normally. more than half web pages does not support these "firefox standarts". funny isn't it?

no offence.

using firefox.

better.

I disagree with you 100%

Microsoft is and was a powerful leader and as such chose to invent its own standards for company gain. (You'll notice web-designers sacrifice heaps for its compatibility with the super-dominator-IE). The W3C has been around since the beginning of the net, where m$ has not. They prove to be more or less the Rosetta Stone (I'm stealing Zeldman's analogy) of web-design. Just because the highest browser-power does not use them does not make them "self-made". They are made by a committee of the enlightened for specific reasons based on usability, security, and more. I think we all must agree standards are important. It is up to you to decide if the W3C standards are the most logical.

Oh, and also, they aren't "these 'firefox standards'". They are the "these every other browser but IE standards. If you argue something about standards, argue whose standards are best and/or if the W3C has not been performing/evolving quickly enough.

Edited by mswarts

I had mixed feelings about Firebird when it first came out, i was very much an IE zealot, but now ive gotten to know Firefox better i cant go back to IE now.

well i use firefox for mah regular browsing , its fast , has a tabbed interface , easily customizable etc.,but yes every now & then i do have to use ie for a while to check out some site that dont support firefox , anyways all i can say when firefox goes final , microshaft will have to come up with something way better than ie to keep thier customer base .

Compare this Neowin poll to the rest of the Internet users.... Baffling to me. Isn't over 90% of the world using IE? This poll is making me go :omg:

On a side note, for those of you who don't like Firefox because its UI is slow, you have yourself to blame if you don't try k-meleon :boo:

mswarts, you must know how to use the search feature and you must know these threads always end up as flame threads so why on earth start up another one of these threads? There is one roughly every week. Did you miss it this week?

:wacko:

um..... No! The last time I saw a poll like this on Neowin, IE was beating Firebird 2:1. Trends change, it is now the opposite thus far.

mswarts: I use Firefox too buddy but please stop blabbering the same arguments over and over and let the thread take it's course.

And finally, Browser preference comes down to Personal choice, it's whatever fits whatever YOUR looking for, I encourage everyone to try the major ones out so they can make their own decision, if IE is what r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz, than that's your choice and I respect your decision if you've tried other browsers out before.

Edited by Smeg