New website design

Question

hey need help on what to develop next on my most recent website...http://www.ez-fx.net/clouds/

there it is.

now, you'll see on the left of each page there's an image which is at the moment just tiling itself vertically. first and foremost i need a new idea as to what to do with this because i dont want it to tile any more.

thanks!

any criticism, advice or praise is welcome :)

...thankyou! :cool:

22 answers to this question

Text can be hard to read on a crappy monitor. (especially with the vertical strip of colour)

Content is the most important part of the page. You may want to do something about that. Otherwise, pretty good. Nicely done fr3ak

gone for BLACK :s darkest as opposed to darker. looks more clear on my monitor.

thanks for quick response mswarts, any ideas on the pictures tiling (or rather, not tiling) on the left? :D ...please

I would go loose the TD style and defer to the body with something like:

body {

font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;

font-size: 11px;

color: #333;

letter-spacing: 0.1em;

line-height: 17px;

background-color: #FFF;

margin: 0px;

padding: 0px;

}

There is allot more you could be doing with CSS that you've overlooked or decided not to impliment.

realy nice site design but i would apply a border round the botom section i dun it below for ya 2 see what ya think just my 2 cents though otherwise very nice :D

post-31-1083687965.jpg

well im fully aware that css (<div> <span>) can practially replace tables these days, but i much much prefer working in tables.

also, i do normally use a lot more ccs is was simply geting the site into a visually pleasing state.

thanks for css ideas anyway. i think ill increase line spacing.

No border :/ And yes, the black is better. Content is the most important element-- you'll want it to be readable to everybody. Good decision and good site!

And yea, CSS is better than tables. I'm stealing a friends analogy here: Using table for these things is like wrapping a hotdog up in a condom.

Edit: When I say "No border", I'm not forlorn. I'm glad :D A border would be dumb... Sorry for any confusion!

Edited by mswarts

realy nice site design but i would apply a border round the botom section i dun it below for ya 2 see what ya think just my 2 cents though otherwise very nice :D

nice idea, i just kidna like the way it was open though :s maybe ill implement it next time or at least have a go

cheers. keep on postin' :happy:

nice site

think the border is a good idea

i dont like the very light blue pic though bit 2 blue

maybe put something in the box nect to the dark blue pic ?

PART 1. i dont like the very light blue pic though bit 2 blue

PART 2. maybe put something in the box nect to the dark blue pic ?

PART 1.

this pic? http://www.ez-fx.net/clouds/gif/clouds.gif

hmm...i realy like that image. the whole site is built around it. it starts the whole lighter and lighter blues theme in the nav...

PART 2.

which dark blue pic? is it on all pages? or just the home? i prefer the way the site looks on on the services page to be honest, that picture is way better than the other bluey ones.

or is that completely not what you meant?

linkage to site

very nice, different style with the vertical shaped menu buttons :) , but does look cool

for some strange reason i feel that it isn't finished yet, its missing something, add something to the sides so it doesn't just go to white, makes it feel out of place and maybe add some kind of simple logo..

i think it looks really nice... i really wouldn't touch it, i differ from the person above, i feel that it feels complete. some issues i have - expandability, no where to extend the menu if you ever want to put another page in, the tiling image just annoys me, find something that tiles properly or use a longer image, and last but not least, there's no DOCTYPE so it won't validate. All somehwat minor things that could hinder its veiwing by some people but not very many.

sesh

The inconsistency of pictures is bothering me. The Home column pic is not as tall as the others :/ The Services column pic looks like 2 (It's good, but not here) And your main clouds pic could be a little more clever.

The page looks very nice! Good job.

i think it looks really nice... i really wouldn't touch it, i differ from the person above, i feel that it feels complete. some issues i have - expandability, no where to extend the menu if you ever want to put another page in, the tiling image just annoys me, find something that tiles properly or use a longer image, and last but not least, there's no DOCTYPE so it won't validate. All somehwat minor things that could hinder its veiwing by some people but not very many.

sesh

Agreed. Except his menu is easily expandable. Thinner columns or wider page (although that may not be the best thing to do). If he gets many new menu items, I'm sure he could arrange a submenu.

thankyou for all your comments...

firstly, i have made changes to the nav to make adding new pages easier: i reduced the column on the far left width from 80px to 40px, it doesnt sound much but i reckon ill fit in another nav button now.

secondly, a logo!!! wow, there's something i overlooked. ill get right on it. :$

yes, i need to sort out images. ive made an effort since last upload at least; all images are now from xp default wallpapers folder, although some are ok im certainly not happy with the way home is looking :( any ideas for a kind of "set" of images i could use? like all different computer parts, all different trees, all different seomthingelses....any help appriciated there. and yes, i still need a new idea for tilingness, i kinda came up with a solution: i put in a lil' gap, identical to the others above and below the content, its definitly an improvement but not good enough yet i dont think :no:

hmm...im kinda afraid to put in a docutype and even test for HTML validation because theres so many thing i know are wrong, such as: do i really need an alt attribute in the gif/1x1/trans.gif's? do i reallllly? becsause thats one thing itll complain about. a lot.

and finally, there is a sub-nav planned for portfolio certainly and possibly contact. but yes, its in the works.

thanks again for all your input!! :D

I think you need a logo too. I think it would look good in top right or if you put it to left of "ezfx"and then centred the whole lot. :)

sounds like a plan worzle :D maybe i should.

anyways, more content in now. whaddya think of how its layed out? the site descriptions are all fake and totally fabricated but the "services" are real, as is the info on front page.

also, added a admin section (don't know why im telling you!!!) if you can find 'uber-secure-secret-hidden' link ;)

comments and critisicms please! :)