Ctrl-Alt-Del at Logon

anybody know how to enable this soo when i log in to windows .. i have to press ctrl-alt-del to enter my password... i got it to work for RC2... but i forgot how i did it lol.. thanx yall :D

Ctrl Panel ... Users and Passwords ... Advanced ... Secure Boot Settings ... TICK requires users to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete before logging on :cool:

unfortunately BeLGaRaTh, this doesnt help those of us who use xp. (which i assume is what KR0NiC was asking about)

Ive been trying to figure out how to do this as well, and i've come up with nothing yet...

Well thats weird.... that was the first thing I tried, and while it did require the ctrl-alt-del on login, it didnt work right when locking the computer.

Instead of showing the 'This computer has been locked' message, it showed the boxes for the username and password. In addition, the screen saver wouldnt activate this way. There was a similar bug with win2k I believe.

Anyways... I tried it again, and now it requires the ctrl-alt-del before you unlock the computer, the way it should be.

Can anyone give a really good explanation of why this is used?

The best info I can find says it prevents rogue processes collecting login credentials, but personally I dont see how its stopping this, unless the ctrl-alt-del specifically ends all processes..?

Anyone have a good understanding of this?

(Trying to workout if anyone really needs to use it in a home environment)

Jon

where at in the group policy??

all i see is 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete Settings' -> remove task manager, removie lock computer, remove change password and remove logoff.

and also "Logon Settings" -> run these programs at user logon, do not process the run once list, and do not process the legacy run test. ??? :s

The proper way to get the Ctrl+Alt+Delete for logon is by going to run and type in 'control userpasswords2' without the '' and then goto the Advanced tab of the window that appears and check 'Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete'

I reply to my own question:

The reason you would use this is as follows:

(Long story short, crappy trojans)

Imagine a kid at college (ok ok so its me really, 7yrs ago) , messing around with word macros. He makes a screen that looks quite like the login l/p screen, that logs the l/p to a .txt .

He moves all windows into a corner, so there is only 1 pixel showing, and lets the accounts roll in.

If a user presses ctrl-alt-delete on this screen, it'd probably end the process / flash a warning / go to the 'windows security' screen.

So i guess I could have updated the program to show a ctrl-alt-delete type prompt too.

Hm. but the 3 keys wuoldnt close that window nicely, they'd bring up the security manager afaik.

That'll be it then. Lame kiddy stylie trojan protection.

(Oh and to stop ppl sitting on KB's and making loads of messed up login attempts :p )

Correct me if i'm wrong, but that seems to be the opinion of this win2k deployment team! ;)

Jon

Originally posted by Jon  

The best info I can find says it prevents rogue processes collecting login credentials, but personally I dont see how its stopping this, unless the ctrl-alt-del specifically ends all processes..?

Jon

That's right - it stops script kiddies collecting user name and passwords as, if it was a fake, it would come up with the Windows Security window and display the kiddie's username for everyone to laugh at. It's not really needed in a home enviroment unless you have idiot brothers or something.

EDIT: Opps, you've already answered, oh well.

Heh, I could read that as u calling me a ex-script kiddy ;)

Script kiddies dont write their own programs tho, they run em!

I did forget that the security screen will show whos actually logged in.

I agree though, no use in a home environment.

Jon

Start:

Control Panel:

User Accounts:

-Pick a task...

Changes the way users log on or off:

Uncheck:

Use the Welcome Screen.

Use Fast User Switching.

This should allow you log onto the computer by ctrl-alt-del.

I don't know why you want to do this. It must make you feel special every time you type in your name and password or something. (like a tech/hack wannabe. owwh i gotta log in." I am in!".)

Originally posted by Jon  

Jon

well it was used for/against outside intruders. I believe they could not pres ctr+alt+del on their own (the intruder) computer so they wouldn't be able to log-in externally onto your computer.

well nowadays with vnc,netopt,etc my feeling is that this is no longer helpfull because these programs have special functons wich simulate "ctr+alt+del" and so rendering this security useless.