[Need Help] DSL has slowed to a crawl. Problems...

Question

Destian

Read the title/subtitle. That's pretty much it. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Hmmm.. I'm going to come off sounding insane, but it literally just stopped as I was typing. It had been like that for 4-5 hours though. Anyone have any idea why it would be doing that. Should it happen again I'd like to know what I'm dealing with. I'm on a LAN. Activity light continued to blink quickly without stopping even when all computers were shut down. Any help will be appreciated.

12 answers to this question

Hardice

Have you tried shutting the modem off and restarting it

Frank

You running any file sharing programs? Wireless internet connection?

I would definatly go to http://housecall.antivirus.com and run a full scan.

Also download Spybot S&D and Adaware, update, and do a full scan.

Destian
You running any file sharing programs?  Wireless internet connection?

I would definatly go to http://housecall.antivirus.com and run a full scan.

Also download Spybot S&D and Adaware, update, and do a full scan.

I'm running a full scan with NAV now... adaware came up with nothing unusual. The thing is, as I noted, this was going on even when all computers were shut down, so wouldn't it have to be something in the router or modem... or perhaps something coming from outside?

Hardice, yes I did try that. Came back up and continued blinking like crazy.

Edit: Also, my activity log on the router seems to have been blocking more connection attempts than usual. Not all from the same address though.

Frank

after your done with NAV, I would also try the link for the online scanner. I have seen some viruses the it picks up that nav doesn't.

Si
my activity log on the router seems to have been blocking more connection attempts than usual. Not all from the same address though.

Could be DDOS :crazy:

akme
after your done with NAV, I would also try the link for the online scanner. I have seen some viruses the it picks up that nav doesn't.

That be true

[david]

spyware? keep ad-aware updated, also check msconfig and see what's starting up with your computer

sjiggag23

unplug both the modem and router together for a long time. preferably more than 4 min. that used to happen to me after using emule

Destian
unplug both the modem and router together for a long time. preferably more than 4 min. that used to happen to me after using emule

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks to everyone else as well, but seeing as my computer can be turned off at the time, I don't see how it could be spyware or a virus.

GG-

You said it happened for about 4-5 hours. It's probably temp problem @ your isp - it happens from time to time, there's no need to go insane or starting to format your computers. Patience.

Almighty1

Instead of all the viruses and stuff like that, does the activity light stay on constantly, also try going into your modems diagnostics to see if there are any line errors, etc.

Steffan

have you capture any packets to see what's coming in and out of your network? I'm doing that right now and I noticed that I have been doing a lot of upnp and netbios broadcasts. you can use ethereal to capture the packets. you also need to install winpcap to use the program.