[Help] Linksys Wireless Networks

I'm helping a friend of mine fix up his computer situation. First, let me tell you that I am not the one you set up his current computer situation at all. I am just trying to help what is already there. So, I'll try to explain it as clearly as I can:

He has 2 computers. Both are rather old (one is P3 processor and the other is a P2) but he's not much of a computer person at all so it's fine for him. He has cable internet. The Comcast people came in and installed that all for him. The cable comes into the house right next to the crappy P2 computer so that plugs into it with a normal network cable. Then, the comcast people set up a Linksys wirless 802.11b network. it has the one wireless router over by the P2 and plugged into the cable and then the P3 (which is some good 30 feet away or so) has the wireless access thingy plugged into it's USB port. as it was before i touched anything, the internet worked and both computers were on fine.

then, i started messing with the P3. long story short, i reformatted and installed Windows 2000 Professional. I then installed the drivers for the Linksys USB thing. I also installed the fancy little monitoring programs and such. I didn't really know what the settings were to begin with, so I kinda started randomly changing stuff (not totally randomly. i do have some experience with wireless networks as i have had one at my own house). the farthest point i got to was that the P3 could contact the wireless router through the wireless network. and on the little wireless router, the internet light is on so it is online. however, the P3 is not online. i can even log into the router and change settings in there but i'm still not actually online with the internet in the P3. i had to leave his house tonight leaving his computer with a naked fresh install of windows 2000 and no internet. i want to think about this and hopefully get some ideas from you guys to see what i can try next time i'm there.

thanks for all your help. if you have any questions, i'll be happy to answer them for you

First off check to make sure that is they set WEP that you know the key or restet it to something new.

Next check you ip settings. Make sure that the wireless p3 is getting the correct settings from the DHCP on the router. If so, can the p2 get out? What is the sig strength on the P3?

First off check to make sure that is they set WEP that you know the key or restet it to something new.

Next check you ip settings. Make sure that the wireless p3 is getting the correct settings from the DHCP on the router. If so, can the p2 get out? What is the sig strength on the P3?

the signal strength on the P3 is plenty high...btw, i heard from them today that now the P2 is not on the internet anymore...but i think it's because i messed with settings on the router with deals with both the wireless and the wired from the P3. i'm going over there tomorrow and hopefully i can fix everything.