SP2 ACTIVATION

Uhh...this seems a little rash. Are they going to block keys issued from MSDN now...?

Even so, a source would be helpful. This doesn't really mean anything right now.

It is possible that the original poster made such assumption that Microsoft never released any keys that would have numbers other than xxxxx-640-xxxxxx

He/she could be wrong, and if that's the case, we should have a more conclusive and definite answer when final release of SP2 arrives.

Also, rest assured that the original poster definitely didn't take account into regional versions of Windows XP Professional. You get different keys in different countries, so don't panic if yours is different because we are only focusing on versions in USA right now.

It is possible that the original poster made such assumption that Microsoft never released any keys that would have numbers other than xxxxx-640-xxxxxx

He/she could be wrong, and if that's the case, we should have a more conclusive and definite answer when final release of SP2 arrives.

Also, rest assured that the original poster definitely didn't take account into regional versions of Windows XP Professional. You get different keys in different countries, so don't panic if yours is different because we are only focusing on versions in USA right now.

I'm just concerned because my key was issued from MSDN, and it is in the 641-649 range.

I have a hard time believing that MS would invalidate keys that they themselves issued under legitimate circumstances. :ermm:

Yup, i admit it, i do have a pirate copy of XP. However, it has a 640, so i guess the corp key im using will work fine.

(Got 3 pcs, and bill gates can do me in the ass before i pay 350 quid just to run windows!)

I only paid ?90 for my XP Pro, OEM of course :laugh::

Has anyone considered the strong possibility that this 'rumour' is simply untrue? Not that I know either way, it's just a strong possiblity that it's not true.

The activation problems with build 2111/2120 have nothing to do with Warez!

My system got locked out when I updated to build 2120

However, some quick googling has discovered the source of the problem: Most corporate keys, legit or otherwise, will be invalid with 2111/2120. If you try to boot a locked-out install in safe mode you get a message saying the product ID has been tampered with.

Your PID as seen in System Properties has a 3 digit group in it. If you are running a XP Pro corporate, this wil be 64x, where x can be anything. If you have any PID other than 640, do NOT install build 21xx, you will be locked out.

My key is LEGIT, it's PID 645, and it locked me out.

I repeat: This is not a Warez or anti-Warez issue. This is activation working the OPPOSITE of how it's supposed to. Back when SP1 came out, MS blacklisted known pirated keys, and these keys were the first corp keys, all generating a PID of 640. So, PID 640 keys have been blocked ever since SP1. A bug in these recent builds has actually caused all LEGIT corporate keys to be blacklisted and the blacklisted ones to be the only valid keys.

If you don't have Pro Corporate, you won't encounter this. so I'm guessing the majority of you out there won't ever see this bug. There appear to be a lot of other bugs in 2111/2120 tho, and I'm convinced this build was leaked before it had even been completed. Has anyone else noticed the boot screen doesn't even say if you have home or pro, and the copyright line doesn't give a year?

Maybe M$ is changing things to prepare for a "Second-Edition" of XP, but this just looks like a flakey build to me.

*sign* Not all VLK versions are locked out.

I am running VLK version with the key given from my university. It is working like charm.

The activation problems with build 2111/2120 have nothing to do with Warez!

My system got locked out when I updated to build 2120

However, some quick googling has discovered the source of the problem: Most corporate keys, legit or otherwise, will be invalid with 2111/2120. If you try to boot a locked-out install in safe mode you get a message saying the product ID has been tampered with.

Your PID as seen in System Properties has a 3 digit group in it. If you are running a XP Pro corporate, this wil be 64x, where x can be anything. If you have any PID other than 640, do NOT install build 21xx, you will be locked out.

My key is LEGIT, it's PID 645, and it locked me out.

I don't think that MS intends to lock out valid MSDN VLK keys. I think what you have seen is a temporary glitch associated with 2111/2120. Perhaps they are playing with locking out keys, perhaps not. IF they were playing with locking out keys then they obviously got too aggressive with these builds. SP2 is beta and is bound to change.

Let's just relax and see what happens. I'm sure we'll see a flurry of threads if they do lock out VLKs (I'm trying to avoid saying VLK keys because that is redundant).

did u slipstream it or intall it over an existing xp ... xpsp2 (rc)

i did a slipstream and exp this probs

I assume that this is the basis for this thread.

It's beta software. Weird stuff happens.

There's no need to make pronouncements based on the extrapolation of one circumstance.

Unless anyone else is willing to share a similar experience I'm willing to write this off as:

PEBKAC

I think many of u dint read it properly.

i again QUOTE

This only applies to Windows XP Pro with a "Volume License Product Key (VLK)".

XP Home is not affected. At all.

If you got XP Pro with your computer (OEM) or purchased it (Retail), you're "legit" and therefore OK.

If you have a pirated copy of XP you will find after applying SP2 you will not be able to log on.

so maybe 641-649 may not be banned for ppl using RETAIL..... its only for those using "CORP" tat PID's are blocked .....

I think many of u dint read it properly.

i again QUOTE

This only applies to Windows XP Pro with a "Volume License Product Key (VLK)".

XP Home is not affected. At all.

If you got XP Pro with your computer (OEM) or purchased it (Retail), you're "legit" and therefore OK.

If you have a pirated copy of XP you will find after applying SP2 you will not be able to log on.

so maybe 641-649 may not be banned for ppl using RETAIL..... its only for those using "CORP" tat PID's are blocked .....

1st point: OEM editions won't have 640-649 in their serial number. Their serial number will contain "OEM" instead of 640-649. Therefore those users won't be confused by your post.

2nd point: Not many people would bother to pirate XP Home so I don't think that's much of an issue.

all i can say is if you are using an illegal copy and get locked out when installing SP2 then tuff luck, buy a lergit copy cheapsaktes.

Bah... No point in me worrying... I have over 90 valid keys and have access to more.

*Hugs my network*

I have paid for all the above copies with work funds and allowed to take a 3 copies home if I wish that are not installed.

Yea i got into my THICK HEADED skull tat some of them might be getting blocked bt this only MEANS tat more is 2 come in rc2 rc3 and gold :)

yea i know some of the keyg3ns work like the one tat was posted on the frontpage for 2k3 which does it for XP also