Neoshooter 2.5.3

Well I figured since [in my opinion] this is a great program (that's free!) I should right a review for it! :)

[EDIT] Neoshooter is a program (freeware) that takes screenshot's of your desktop, whole or sections with a neat little interface. It can capture different resolutions, and file types. [EDIT]

about.jpg

On first impressions, its damn neat. Usually, with independant programs they dont have installers (for example the previous versions of Neoshooter). The installer is a plus to the program, so you dont just lose an .EXE or just put the directory somewhere. On to the program, you see a tray icon with the "N" logo from neowin. The resource usage is a little high though :/.

res.jpg

You can also do a thumbnail just by selecting an option in the tray, just click the option and when you go to take the screenshot it makes a thumbnail too (Great for those desktops! :))

thumbn.jpg

Also, you can automatically resize your images so you can follow the rules! :)

Pro's: Great for screenshots, and great for the desktop thread!

Con's: Resource Usage is a little high

Ian's Rating: **********

Quick plug - Neoshooter is to be found here https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=161346

Comments: Sorry for the [short] review, I'm still learning how to [properly] do this. :)

Edited by IanD

LOL yeah, give a little background on the proggy, it basically takes a screenshot of your desktop and resizes it automatically to 1024 rez, and saves it to your desktop.

LOL yeah, give a little background on the proggy, it basically takes a screenshot of your desktop and resizes it automatically to 1024 rez, and saves it to your desktop.

Can you choose another resolution or is it automatic? Also, can you choose the file type? If not, what does it use? bmp, png, jpg?

Can you choose another resolution or is it automatic? Also, can you choose the file type? If not, what does it use? bmp, png, jpg?

you can shoot it at other resolutions.. yes, i think you can change the type.

BTW, i edit'ed the topic.. i included what it does, and where to get it.

you can shoot it at other resolutions.. yes, i think you can change the type.

BTW, i edit'ed the topic.. i included what it does, and where to get it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Those are definately details that should be in the review. :p

Also wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots of the interface.

I used it in the past and had it resize my desktop... the only problem was that there was no blending so it looked very jaggy and compressed badly with JPEG. Has this been changed in the recent versions?

How is a program that uses 6MB of RAM, and you open and then quit shortly considered a "resource hog"? If it used 90% of your CPU, 1GB of disk space, and took up 100MB of RAM when running, then that would be a resource hog. This is just a simple tool that gets loaded and unloaded, so who cares about RAM usage?

How is a program that uses 6MB of RAM, and you open and then quit shortly considered a "resource hog"? If it used 90% of your CPU, 1GB of disk space, and took up 100MB of RAM when running, then that would be a resource hog. This is just a simple tool that gets loaded and unloaded, so who cares about RAM usage?

When I used it, it stuck around in the system tray.

And while I have no problems affording 6MB of physical memory to such an application, I think it seems wasteful when it is just sitting there. When it is working I don't mind it using a bit more. As an alternative, there could be two applcations, where one *just* served as a tray icon. It should be easy to program a tray icon that's just a tray icon.