how to format disk b4 clean install of XP?

my problem:

i had win2k and did an upgrade to winXP. now i wanna do a CLEAN install and delete EVERYTHING on my c: (d: is full of the things i wanna save) both are NTFS...

i run setup again and everything is fine until i come to the part where i wanna delete my c: partion. and i CAN'T!

i got a error message:

"can delete partion, because of setup files are on it" or something like that...

how do i find a way of deleting c: THEN do a clean install? i've looked for boot disks but havn't found any... my cd is bootable and i looked in BIOS and it said that my CDROM was the 1st bootdisk (can't find the word, sry)

sry for my bad english... from sweden ya know... ;)

/max

First make a boot disk using windows 2000, or windows 98...basically anything that will boot your computer and allow you to use the cd-rom drive

Format your c drive manually...

Then install xp

you dont need to delete a partition to do a clean install

xp has the option in the first stages of installing it to

format using FAT32 (quick)

format using NTFS (quick)

format using FAT32

format using NTFS

leave file system in tact

or something similar

if you choose one of the formatting options everything will be wiped out and it'll clean install

altho i've heard using the quick options only erase and install

where as format w/o quick would probably be what you wanted to do.

yep. just put your cd-rom drive in first place in your motherboard configuration. Then put the windows xp cd in your cd-rom drive and reboot. When you are in the setup do a format using NTFS.

DO NOT TAKE THE QUICK FORMAT.after it will install xp.

the thing is:

it says that my CDROM will boot but it doesn't

and will the thing with win2k bootdisks really work?

and the stage where it says:

"xp has the option in the first stages of installing it to

format using FAT32 (quick)

format using NTFS (quick)

format using FAT32

format using NTFS

leave file system in tact "

can't really find that...

how do i:

1. format my c:

2. boot the cd

3. install

/max

why all are you giving this poor guy bad info the only person that gave good info was 2xSilverKnight but the rest of you are wrong. He wont be able to boot to DOS since his both his drives are in NTFS so when he boots the win98 boot disk will create a RAMdrive (2MB) and that will be his C: drive now.

To do a clean install i suggest you get NTFSDOS and try deleting the stuff from DOS. That's gonna take along while if you dont' have SMARTDRV.EXE so make sure to get it and load it when you get to DOS (if you can). If all this sounds really confusing then the easiest way is to make another CD and make it bootable. Just ask around how to make a cd bootable or email me and i'll tell you.

There's another way but it's gonna take really long and it includes moving stuff from your D to the C format it in FAT32 then move them back. Trust.. it's best if you had another seperate but email me for the long and hard way to do this.

yep if you do the partition with partition magic go in it and right click on your c: partition and choose format. partition magic will go in dos to format. after install xp by botting from cd.

thxs for all help.. but i still don't get it all...

1. where do i find NTFSDOS

2. my cd is bootable, my cdrom is bootable, but it still don't work! any tips what might be wrong?

3. aint that familiar with DOS commandos... so what commandos should i use?

/max

hum. i tried to install once again, but got the same answer:

"setup is unable to preform the requested operation on the selected partion. this partion contains temporary setup files that are requested to complete the installation"

now:

1. can i changed the location of these "temporary setup files" to another place (maybe d: or something)

2. i'm going crazy soon...

3. my partions look like this;

c: (1242342342342 MB) partion

(8 Mb) non partion

d: (2131231231 MB) partion

what shall i do? :D

/max

2. my cd is bootable, my cdrom is bootable, but it still don't work! any tips what might be wrong?
Did you set your BIOS to check for bootable CD-ROM the first thing?

I did this very thing for a friend at the weekend.

First create a Boot floppy, (Win9x), that loads your CDROM drivers and Smartdrive, and also contains FDSIK and Sys commands.

You need to boot from the floppy and then run FDISK. Delete the first Non-DOS partition, then recreate it, making sure you make it active (very important). Reboot with floppy then you can Format C:.

After the format you may want to sys C: to make it bootable but this is probABLY not be necessary, and then you can reinstall XP by running .

Be careful with FDISK and only delete the First Non-DOS partiton.

If you need a Boot disk try here http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

Originally posted by configure  

Did you set your BIOS to check for bootable CD-ROM the first thing?

yes. the only thing i've seen in the BIOS is

1st boot disk: cdrom

2nd boot disk: floopy

3rd boot disk: disk

but i can't find what it says that i should boot or not. only in which order... :(

i will try the thing with the win9x floopy... ;)

i'm not good with DOS commands doh... :(

/max