Wireless Security without WPA?

I'm trying to work out how to setup a wireless home network but the card i want doesn't support WPA. :/ WepCrack says it takes 15 hours worth of data and 50 hours processing time to crack wep so that won't be much of defence against any local l33t h4x0rs. :( So what are the suggestions on how to stop my internet usage goign through the roof? I am looking at a linux box with ip masq to go between the wires and nonwires :p

I might just have to save for some nice wpa cards but thats $120 compaired to $60 per a computer * 4 computers and however much for a better pcimcia card for the laptop.

Granted its possible to change MAC addresses, but if you use WEP and an allowed MAC address list on your wireless router you should be ok.

Make sure your LAN is secure too. If someone gets into your wireless LAN, and the router denies them internet access because they aren't on the MAC list, they might decided to see what your shares are.

"keep me off the internet, will you *hrump*"

Running a software firewall like Sygate Personal might be a good idea if you are seriously concerned about hackers...at least use good passwords on any shares.

Myself, the only reason I turned WEP on is because I didn't want a casual user to drive by and try to access my numerous shares...My internet access I don't mind, cause I've surveyed the neighborhood and the only other wireless user is wide open...I don't think there are more than a handful of people who have the know-how to even wardrive around here...