XP, Atapi error event ID 9

I've been using this computer at work for about 7 months now with no changes in hardware, and all of a sudden yesterday my computer started pausing intermittently for about 0.5 seconds every 3-5 seconds.

The Event Viewer says this:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	atapi
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	9
Date:  5/12/2004
Time:  9:19:49 AM
User:  N/A
Computer:	DESIGN1
Description:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 10 00 01 00 64 00   ......d.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0   .......?
0010: 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0018: 18 19 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00   ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00   ........

Out of all the googling and M$ searching.. all I can find is that it's a problem with a cd drive and usually happens when there is bad media in the drive... I haven't put a cd in either of the two drives in there for a few weeks and I'm getting this error...

When I reboot - the system seems fine for a while, then out of the blue it just starts doing the interval pausing, where the mouse stops - audio stops (keeps same sound for whole pause period).. its just weird. I could understand if I just installed the drive or made changes or something.. but what the heck?

Can anybody else lend some insight on this? thanks...

I think i MAY have fixed it... though I want to know if anybody knows what PIO only mode is in device manager.

Went into Device Manager

Then IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Then Changed Device 1 to "PIO Only" mode instead of "DMA if available"

after a reboot is seems to be fine for a while now...

So what did I change?

• 3 months later...

ryno267, I bumped into this thread by doing a Google search. I've been experiencing this same problem. I'm getting the same error when I insert a data DVD disc. My system will hang and I'll need to reboot.

The disc looks okay once I can finally open it once I've rebooted. So it's not the disc...as the error report insists it should be.

I am going to try your fix for myself.

Has your fix permanently fixed the problem?

It sure would be nice if someone else could help us out here. Anyone know anything about this problem?

I found this...

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Apparently, some systems cannot support the Enable UDMA 66....

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

"EnableUDMA66"=dword:00000001

That'll teach me to apply a tweak I don't know much about. It worked, or at least, seemed to work on my other system, but I guess my new system doesn't approve of it.

Thanks for your input, ryno267. I was totally lost before I bumped into your post.

I applied the changes you did....Then Changed Device 1 to "PIO Only" mode instead of "DMA if available"

I changed each of the settings in both the Primary IDE Channel and the Secondary IDE Channel. I hope I did right to change both.

Come on people, how about some input? ryno267 posted this back on May 12 and no one has responded.

Are we the only ones experiencing this problem?