[NHL] Lightning promotion draws opposition

TAMPA, Fla. -- A Tampa Bay Lightning promotion that offers unlimited free beer to people who agree to buy season tickets is drawing the ire of safe-driving advocates.

Local police and several area chapters of Mothers Against Drunk Driving say the NHL team's offer is irresponsible.

"Why attach alcohol to a season-ticket plan? It's almost encouraging people to drink more than they should because it is free," said Sgt. Chris Velar, who runs the Police Department's drunken driving squad.

During the first Eastern Conference playoff game between the Lightning and the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday, the scoreboard advertised the offer. People who paid $100 toward next year's season tickets could get unlimited free beer during the game.

Team spokesman Bill Wickett said about 25 of the 21,000 people attending the game signed up for season tickets. People who are already intoxicated aren't served beer and free taxi rides are provided to patrons who believe they have had too much to drink, Wickett said.

Source: ESPN.com

How is it a stupid promotion? I mean, theoretically, it is a good plan to snag some drunk asses who want season tickets. And they provide free taxis.

How is it a stupid promotion? I mean, theoretically, it is a good plan to snag some drunk asses who want season tickets. And they provide free taxis.

Because this is assuming people are competent enough to get a cab in the first place.

what, they want more people to come and watch the flyers beat them? :laugh:

Hmm...is that a 2-1 series lead for the Lightning I see? :laugh: