Nintendo DS VS Sony PSP

Wich one is the best?!?!?!  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Wich one is the best?!?!?!

• Nintendo DS
    • Sony PSP

I'm of the opinion that unless Nintendo (and it SHOULD be them) come up with an innovative use for the touch screen, it's pointless. There's no need to hide anything, the competition can't copy, just show us what made them want to implement dual and touch screens.

Secondly, the PSP isn't huge at all, download this video to see the size comparison to a GBA SP, if anything it's the DS that's biggest. About the dual processors thing in DS, who cares? It's still inferior spec wise to the PSP so don't bother posting specs as a positive cause the PSP will rip it apart.

Nintendo have got 2 main things going for them, brand recognition and all their classics, and price. A ~$100-150 price + Pokemon (with some form of innvative use of the DS, Wireless, touch screen, dual screen etc) = Success. Imagine all the kids playing pokemon wirelessly around schools, across the internet in one massive roaming RPG world, insane. Sony have brand recognition, the cool factor and marketing ability. This is going to be in insanely competitive generation for handhelds and we're gonna be the ones to benifit.

No-one can quote battery life because it's been a mish mash of reports. The guy who done the presentation is being misquoted all the time. He said "it could be comparable to a portable DVD player (2 hours), a multimedia device (8 hours) or a walkman (10 hours)". He gave no solid quotes. But I'll say this now, get less than 10 hours gaming time and the thing is pointless, they might as well throw it in the bin and sack everyone.

I agree, and if it does happen to be 2.5 hours, its just another clever Sony scheme to make you buy a 10 hour battery. Sony loves to do that to you.

Should have had a vote for both :p But since the psp is something I have been waiting on sony to make for a long time and I own a pda already Im gonna go for it..keep in mind I'm gonna get a DS regardless just like im trading in my Cobalt SP for the NES aniversary one next month.

Damned acessories. They get us gamers everytime. Here i come with $300 in my pocket for my new system (Playstation 1, 2, Xbox, you name it)

So how bout a couple games...you do want another controller, don't ya? Memory card? Component video cables? Make my bank account weep in pain...dirty ******s. What ever happened to the Console, 2 controllers, light gun, 2 games and my very own Robot! Ah those were the days.

Damned acessories. They get us gamers everytime. Here i come with $300 in my pocket for my new system (Playstation 1, 2, Xbox, you name it)

So how bout a couple games...you do want another controller, don't ya? Memory card? Component video cables? Make my bank account weep in pain...dirty ******s. What ever happened to the Console, 2 controllers, light gun, 2 games and my very own Robot! Ah those were the days.

Amen to that! I still have my R.O.B :D

Both :ninja: I'm a portable gaming freak so I'd love to have both of these because I still wanna play my gba and gb games but also GT and MGS on the go. I think the PSP might have a good run for portability, and may give Nintendo something to worry about. But, I think PSP is gonna be for the adult gamers and the DS is for the kiddies. I could be wrong, but we'll see...

:D Cheers

Was there any confirmation on this from nintendo? I was under the impression the GBA port is able to handle the older games as well. Of course I just made that assumption. I wouldn't see why not though, as i thought the GBA was built off the original GB architecture

I've voted for the Sony PSP. The sleek black design, the wide screen and functionality which the PSP has is definitely ahead of the DS. The PSP will cost more, but I have no qualms with parting a good ?200 for something I'll get allot of pleasure from and will last a good 4 years or so. It'll make a nice upgrade from my GBA:)).

I've had Game boys since the original, and I've enjoyed them. But the DS "Dual Screen" idea looks silly to me, how are you going to use it mid game? I?d find it more of annoyance having to look away from the game to see the other menus or whatever will be displayed on it. Nintendo should have stuck with a wide screen. And the overall shape of the handheld looks painful to use, the GBA in my view was the only handheld from Nintendo which was nice to use for long periods of time and they should have stuck with that shape.

The overall quality of the PSP also looks much better from the images I've seen. And looks are important to me, so the PSP here wins again for me.

The DS although ugly looking does have an advantage because the screens won't be scratched, but I?d rather have a good looking PSP and buy a cover for it (which I'm sure they'll do) and use that.

My Vaio Laptop and NW-MS70D all use the memory stick medium, the PSP will also use memory sticks so this is a real bonus for me as I'll be able to easily transfer data between the devises (videos/music/game saves). The DS does not have this.

That's why I'll buy a PSP and not a DS.

Gamboy DS - under 15 age group with little disposable income. (And poor adults, like Spy:pr? :p)

PSP - later teens and adults who have money to spent on a quality product.

Edited by Knight'

Gamboy DS - under 15 age group with little disposable income.

i disagree with this simplistic breakdown. I happen to fall into the adult category but with mortgage, insurance, car, water, hydro, etc etc bills, I don't want to spend alot of money on a portable gaming system. Not that I don't have the money to do it, just with all my other bills, other things are more important.

so its not so simple to break it down into 2 groups like you did.

i disagree with this simplistic breakdown. I happen to fall into the adult category but with mortgage, insurance, car, water, hydro, etc etc bills, I don't want to spend alot of money on a portable gaming system. Not that I don't have the money to do it, just with all my other bills, other things are more important.

so its not so simple to break it down into 2 groups like you did.

That's why I said we'll see :shifty:

:ninja: Cheers

I vote DS.

Why?

1) Battery Life

2) Battery Life

3) Battery Life

4) Battery Life

5) Price

The only things that matter to me in a handheld. And according to the results of past Game Boy competitors they are what matter to many others too.

Gamboy DS - under 15 age group with little disposable income.

I take it you're implying that Nintendo products are cheaper because they're of a lower quality? I think even gamers who aren't nintendo fanboys realise that every bit of hardware they produce is pretty robust and of a high quality.

I take it you're implying that Nintendo products are cheaper because they're of a lower quality? I think even gamers who aren't nintendo fanboys realise that every bit of hardware they produce is pretty robust and of a high quality.

Correct. I remember all of the gaming sites doing GBA durability 'tests' at it's launch. It was hilarious watching them run over them with cars, throw them off buildings, and place them in tubs of water, only to have the things still work once they got batteries back in - or allowed them to dry out.

I accept that you may feel that the Nintendo consol is of the same or similar quality of the PSP despite the alleged price disparity and you may indeed feel your games to be of an adult nature. But I hold my view firmly that the PSP does look better, and has functionality which is more useful to me.

I'm not going to spend any more time debating over such an inconsequential matter as a gaming consol. At the end of the day it's your choice where you choose to spend your money as is the same for me.

Lets put the specs of the 2 machines in perspective.

Judging by the graphics of the DS, they look about as good as an N64 with an expansion pack (hardly, but for arguments sake)

Well the PSP has graphics BETTER than the Playstation 2, as announced by the producers and by judging the screenshots.

PSP is a more powerful machine, but ninty's notorious hand held reputation just might give them an edge, and I have to admit the DS is pretty Innovative, with its touch screen, dual screen blah blah blah

wow the psp is pretty sexy (Y).

however the ds has nintendo. nintendo. miamoto. nintendo. nintendo. metroid. nintendo. nintendo. mario. miamoto. nintendo. nintendo. nintendo. zelda. nintendo.

haha. i have gc, ps2, and xb currently, and ive found more i like for gc than ps2. now if ms made a portable game system, id go for that. but thats not gonna happen any time soon :shifty:.