TFT Screen Queries

Hi all,

I have always wanted a decient TFT flat screen. Now, there are a couple of questions, and please remember I live in the UK, so...ah...no dollar sign please ;)

1.) Is the quality of the Thin Film Transistor (TFT) monitor poor compared to the quality of a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitor..?

- I mean, there's a difference between my laptop and my pc as my pc's monitor is far superior in graphic capabilities and it's far more crisp and smooth in colour.

2.) What is the cheapest TFT (size doesn't matter: 14" / 15" / 17") and where would I purchase it..?

- The cheapest I've found is a 15" @ ?280

I know these are wierd questions, but I really want one:))

Thanks in advance:ninja::

It looks nice but be sure to look for some user reviews before considering it any further. Just do a search for the name of the product and 'review' in Google.

And my pound and dollar sign are in the same place (it is a standard British keyboard layout after all) - except my 4 has a ?uro sign as well.

I'll do some reviews on it now, I was also wondering if there are any that come with a Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable..?

Yeah with the keyboard I also have the euro symbol on the number 4 - I never noticed it before...probably because I've never used it.

Then again how do I use it..? (it doesn't work :()

Originally posted by PabUK  

It looks nice but be sure to look for some user reviews before considering it any further. Just do a search for the name of the product and 'review' in Google.

And my pound and dollar sign are in the same place (it is a standard British keyboard layout after all) - except my 4 has a ?uro sign as well. b>

ah sorted ?:

UK Keyboard Layout CTRL+(left)ALT+E Produces Euro Symbol Along with Accented Letter E

???????????????????????????????????????????????:ninja:????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

me happy now :ninja:

Neo why don't you have a pound sign on your keyboard? Where is it from?

Whenever I stay in Portugal with my parents, it takes me a few days to adjust to the layout of the Portuguese keyboard, very annoying. For instance, to get the @ symbol you have to do a Ctrl + Alt like with the ?uro symbol. Horrible!

Try this:

USA: CTRL+(left)ALT+5

UK: CTRL+(left)ALT+4

I just noticed that CTRL+(left)ALT+E is wrong, it's supposed to be the number 4 or 5 instead of the "E".

hope this helps :ninja:

My cousin has a 19" TFT screen, that is the nicest one I have ever seen (in terms of size).

Cost: A$3500 - approx ?1100

BTW, you can get all those wierd'n'funky symbols like this:

Alt+0164 - ?

Alt+168 - ?/b>

and some useful ones...

Alt+156 - ?

...some of them don't work in this forum

First, apologies for dragging this post further off course, but:

1. The third symbol on keys (split-pipe top left, and euro on 4) are accessed by either Ctrl+Alt+key or AltGr+key. AltGr is equivalent to Ctrl+Alt. Not many people know that!

2. Those codes need to be done with the left Alt key and the numeric keypad (with numlock on). I use them a lot!

Now, on topic. I also would like a TFT monitor very much but have a couple of concerns, one of which is the price, which is low enough to tempt me but not really low enough for me to be able to properly afford one :( The other is dead pixels - try to get to see your monitor before buying, and check that the manufacturer has a no-quibble returns policy. There's nothing worse than getting your lovely new TFT monitor home and finding a dead black spot in the middle.

As far as brands go, reviews I've seen tend to recommend Mitac at the cheap end. And sizes - I wouldn't buy a 14" as it may not do 1024?768, and frankly you don't want to buy a new monitor that can't. 15" or above is great. Remember that a 15" TFT = 16" CRT, and 17" TFT = 19" CRT.

Hope this helps:))

Originally posted by Timble  

First, apologies for dragging this post further off course, but:

1. The third symbol on keys (split-pipe top left, and euro on 4) are accessed by either Ctrl+Alt+key or AltGr+key. AltGr is equivalent to Ctrl+Alt. Not many people know that!

2. Those codes need to be done with the left Alt key and the numeric keypad (with numlock on). I use them a lot!

Now, on topic. I also would like a TFT monitor very much but have a couple of concerns, one of which is the price, which is low enough to tempt me but not really low enough for me to be able to properly afford one :( The other is dead pixels - try to get to see your monitor before buying, and check that the manufacturer has a no-quibble returns policy. There's nothing worse than getting your lovely new TFT monitor home and finding a dead black spot in the middle.

As far as brands go, reviews I've seen tend to recommend Mitac at the cheap end. And sizes - I wouldn't buy a 14" as it may not do 1024?768, and frankly you don't want to buy a new monitor that can't. 15" or above is great. Remember that a 15" TFT = 16" CRT, and 17" TFT = 19" CRT.

Hope this helps:)) >

1.) I didn't know that - thanks:ninja::

2.) I use to use this method of creating shapes when I was doing Pascal Programming in a DOS format

3.) 15" TFT = 16" CRT, and 17" TFT = 19" CRT (I wasn't aware of this)

So if I get a 17" TFT it's actually the same as a 19" CRT. Cool:ninja:: Ii'll have to look at those sizes aswell, as I have to admit I wasn't fond of the idea of a max resolution of 1024x768 - I would like a resolution of 1280x1024:ninja::

Thanks for the help