Should I Get Windows ME?

Ok, my friend offered to give me his FULL copy of Windows ME. Now, I have heard issues with it but should i still get it? I wouldn't mind to put it on my 266mhz computer. Should I get it and put it on, he's giving it for free to me.

One other thing, does it have Product Activation or anything?

No, Windows Me doesn't have the product activation thing that XP has.

Should you get it? Well, it's free. That's probably the best thing about it. I would stay away from it, but that's just my opinion. It crashes a lot, and is very unreliable. That's been my experience with it, your experience may differ.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dont use it, i made that mistake once.

98 is far better than ME

so keep Win98 SE that i have?

its very unstable / buggy.

its windwos 98 basicaly with a laod of fluff thrown in, windows 98 balances ok, but the fluff throws ME off the edge and ends up in an abundance of BSOD`s and random reboots and programs freezing up.

Me must be destroyed, its a danger to everyones computers ... mumble mumble

on our family computer we had ME,it is GOD AWFULL,never use but still take the cd if its free,i put 2000 pro on the family computer and it works perfectly.

you should get it, i have it and it is amazing. everything works fine, loads quickly and doesnt screw up in any way. it doesnt have Product Activation. everything runs perfectly, i'd say its alot better than 98 or 2000. GET IT!

Edited by Phegro

Windows Me was the second greatest failure that Microsoft has unleached upon us so far, the first being Microsoft Bob. (Remember Bob folks?). In other words, don't get it if you have too, but then again, seeing that its free., it WOULD make a very nice, holographic, coaster. ^^

I would go with 98SE, it's the best 9x kernel based OS they have put out. After installing it if you visit WinUpdate and download all the updates, that computer will actually be very functional/fast.

No you shuldn't install Windows ME on ANY compyter it's crap.

Install Windows 2000 or Windows XP Insted.

Windows 2000 don't have Activation only Windows XP and newer have it, only VLK editions dosn't.

Ok, my friend offered to give me his FULL copy of Windows ME. Now, I have heard issues with it but should i still get it? I wouldn't mind to put it on my 266mhz computer. Should I get it and put it on, he's giving it for free to me.

win me is the worst os to get

98 is way better

Oh please. Windows ME isn't half as bad as you all make it out to be. For free, I would upgrade from Windows 98SE in a heartbeat. Why?

-System File Protection (Protects critical system files from deletion/modification)

-No longer relies on Real Mode DOS (& Windows boots faster as a result)

-System Restore

-Windows Image Acquisition (interfaces with digital cameras/scanners)

As far as reliability is concerned, both 98SE and ME are based on the same kernel.

If your willing to cry then get ME, stick with what ever you have, 98SE

Oh please. Windows ME isn't half as bad as you all make it out to be. For free, I would upgrade from Windows 98SE in a heartbeat. Why?

-System File Protection (Protects critical system files from deletion/modification)

-System Restore

As far as reliability is concerned, both 98SE and ME are based on the same kernel.

Does scan disk work?

NO

Does Defrag work?

NO

Does System Restore work?

NO

Finaly, Should you get it?

NO

Stick with 98, anyway you said you have 98SE (which is the BEST non NT version).

Don't do it, its such a pain in the rectum, The only thing that has is that boot faster, but it doesn't matter because when boot give it 5 minutes maximun to get a BSOD

-System Restore

-No longer relies on Real Mode DOS (& Windows boots faster as a result) -- Wrong it still used DOS it just hid it from the user. Windows ME is more than half bad!