Should I Get Windows ME?

Just an example guys.

My friend bought DELL laptop. and it came with ME. when he booted first. after filling user name and ETC it crashed.

and lots of explorer crashes. he tried to insatll 98 sec but bios didnt let him install it. so he came to me. i installed it from his cd and again same problem.

as a last resort i install it from MSDN version i had. and guess what.

It never crashed on its own. i mean no such error as before.

Just one example.

I would just take it...its free, got nothing to lose. Aside from havng BSOD once in a while, Windows ME was not that bad for me. System Restore and Windows File Protection made up for most of it shortfalls. Also it had a cleaner looking UI than 98 (Y). In addition, they did not officially get rid of dos in ME, they just rid of Real Mode leaving behind bits and pieces of dos. Moreover, yes I did have ME, A OEM copy from MDG to be excat...*Sadly though Windows XP came out 2 weeks later :angry: *

U know I knew a few friends who had a lot of issues with it, I however didn't.

I wud say get it but I think u might be better off with Windows 98 2nd Ed.

And no it doesn't have product activation, thank god! ;)

Ok no more bashing WinME. Now, i need you to say "yes" or "no" to if i should put WinME on my computer. Got it?

Win RG go try this out, win ME was pretty similar to this for me. Stick with 98se.

For anyone who hasn't seen this, you should. It's extremely funny and Windows ME sucks.

For christ sakes just try it yourself. ;) Sorry just the ME bashing is worse than the 'Windows 2003 cant be used as a workstation u 1337 hak0r' stuff. You know the saying "A bad workman always blames his tools" so how can he be sure that everyone here saying it sucks isnt just incompitent :rofl: (joke btw).

He needs to try it and see. Simple. If it dont work out there is always ebay.

For anyone who hasn't seen this, you should. It's extremely funny and Windows ME sucks.

LOL! I'm going to put it on my computer!

• 2 weeks later...

no it doesn't have any product activation,but it has system restore and it has file protection

but don't use it. use win98se instead. WIN ME is a MISTAKE

for nearly a year i forgot ME existed.

i would take the cd and sell it on ebay, with the money i would get windows 2000.

i actually hate ME so much, that i wouldnt want ANYONE to run it.

a freind of mine fixes computers, he charges 20 dollars extra if they make him work with ME in any way.

in our computer lab we had about 40 computers, they all had ME on them. i saw at least one BSOD daily. we downgraded to windows 98 and the frequency of BSOD's dropped to one every four or five days.

Edited by steelydoubt

Windows ME :cry:

I am ashamed to say that I paid for my copy of Windows ME.

The day it was released I happened to be in Walmart and could not resist, what a mistake I made!

(Not the only mistake purchase I have made in Walmart isles.)

Stay far away from it, when installed on my brand new machine (4 years ago) it would crash randomly when I was not even using my PC.

I installed Windows 2000 soon after and have been running on that very PC ever since without a single issue.