Please explain

I don't like to start an argument but I simply have to know exactly why this thread was locked:

https://www.neowin.net/bboard/showthread.ph...15&pagenumber=1

I fully accept that warez etc. is not allowed on these forums, and wouldn't want it any other way because it could be shut down and that would be bad. But this thread is just a bunch of people having a laugh. If it had been locked right away fine (nobody should be asking for serials in the first place) but it had developed into something else and as far as I can see nothing illegal took place.

Most likely due to its title: Windows XP 2600 Serial ??

this is displayed on the front page everytime someone *bumps* it, for first time users of Neowin this is asking for trouble.. because they think that requesting warez is ok (of which I have seen from some under 10 posts users) So even though I personally almost closed the thread, Ross did his moderating job by actually doing it.

I know it may sound sh*tty but there are other boards where this type of stuff can be requested.

A good example on the extent of the problem we have on warez is, when we re-opened the IRC channel, someone put a warez ftp trigger on it.. well he was kicked when I came in the room.

If it was done to keep the title of the thread off the front page, that is easily done by simply modifying the subject, which a moderator can do. That way, even if they do visit the thread, they will see that that sort of thing isn't allowed anyway because all the regulars shout it out as soon as someone mentions serials etc. So in effect, it can be used to educate people of the rules. :)

Originally posted by PabUK  

If it was done to keep the title of the thread off the front page, that is easily done by simply modifying the subject, which a moderator can do. That way, even if they do visit the thread, they will see that that sort of thing isn't allowed anyway because all the regulars shout it out as soon as someone mentions serials etc. So in effect, it can be used to educate people of the rules. :)

good idea, why not rename the thread:

WROM: JBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWT

TO: Forgot To Read The Rules..?

or something to that effect.

I just want to add that I am not having a go at Ross in any way and that I respect his decision to lock the thread as he is doing his job. I just wanted to put my own views on it forward, even if they are not welcome! :)

not only that, sometime they also monitor the "certain" word that was said, say I set it to monitor "!hi", once someone said "!hi" it'll offer a FSERV (File Server?) to that person.