How to sabotage my refrigerator

So, I live in college housing and my refrigerator sucks. I put a new carton of milk in my refrigerator and it curdles four days later. It is, hands down, the worst refrigerator I have ever had to deal with. I put in a work order and a college housing maintainance guy came and "fixed" it. It still has the same problems, even after having them come four more times over the past year. Now, I am getting sick of this.

I know that this is sort of bad, but does anyone have any brilliant ideas as to how I could sabotage my refrigerator so that they will just replace the damn thing? It is an Admiral. Year unknown.

Edit: not looking to scam anyone, just hasten the slow death of this piece of junk.

Edited by jkinzer

bring it to the top floor and drop it off/out a belcony/window :D :woot:

or go rent a truck and drive into it whiloe goin very fast...wear your seatbelt :rofl: :rofl:

maybe it will overheat if you leave the door open while turning it to the coldest setting, or it could just waste alot of electricity. Also you could try loosening some of the wires or coils on the back, though make sure to 'loosen' not CUT.

Do you mean you want us give you a dirty trick with which you can cheat the frig retailer or manufacturer?

I know how a frig works and its electrical circuit. But what you wanted is illegal and eventually you'll find that is harmful.

Just tell the frig retailer or manufacturer the truth that you suffered. If they are willing to take the responsibility they might agree to replace it.

Do you mean you want us give you a dirty trick with which you can cheat the frig retailer or manufacturer?

I know how a frig works and its electrical circuit. But what you wanted is illegal and eventually you'll find that is harmful.

Just tell the frig retailer or manufacturer the truth that you suffered. If they are willing to take the responsibility they might agree to replace it.

No, not trying to cheat anyone. The refridgerator is shot (i.e. should not be used by anyone). I'd rather use a cooler full of ice than my refridgerator. In all honesty, if the school's maintenance staff wasn't trying to be cheap, they would replace it. I just was looking for some legal tips on how I can hasten it's death so that I can get a better refridgerator (a working used one would be perfect). This has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

bring it to the top floor and drop it off/out a belcony/window :D :woot:

or go rent a truck and drive into it whiloe goin very fast...wear your seatbelt :rofl: :rofl:

Hmmm, good idea. I have a feeling that the college housing maintainance people would probably notice the difference between a dead fridge and a destroyed fridge. They're dumb, but not that dumb.

Wait for someone else to leave there room and just switch them. Might get caught but it's worth a shot. I did however once by complete accident mind you while chipping the ice out of the freezer with a sharp knife poke a small hole in one of the lines that carries the coolant. You could just "de-frost" the freezer.

I suggest you loosen the wires... LOOSEN! not cut!

then go on a holiday (i.e. HIDE) :ninja: while letting some1 use your appartment... (i.e. the fridge)

when you get back person in your appartment says:

OMFG! IM SO SORRY! I BROKE YOUR FRIDGE!

get urself a minifridge that can hold drinks, that way u can keep important stuff (like milk and meat) in there and use the crappy fridge for pop and stuff that wont go bad

get urself a minifridge that can hold drinks, that way u can keep important stuff (like milk and meat) in there and use the crappy fridge for pop and stuff that wont go bad

That's a good idea. Doesn't solve my problem, but not a bad temporary solution. Thanks.

If you can get the resources, this is a good idea... Get ahold of a rheostat (anyone in electronics can help you with that), a 220V dryer cable, some wire, and a standard wall socket from a hardware store... Connect the 220V cord to the rheostat, then on the opposing side of the rheostat, connect the wall socket. plug the fridge into the wall socket, and plug the 220V into any 220V outlet (behind dryers, electric stoves, some larger a/c's)... MAKE SURE THE RHEOSTAT IS ZEROED OUT BEFORE PLUGGING ANYTHING IN!... Then, slowly turn the rheostat up, until you hear fridge kick on... that is when the rheostat has reached normal voltage. Then slowly turn the rheostat up... It should kill the motor, with the amount of voltage going to the fridge... It will smoke a little bit... No fire. The rheostat is basically a voltage regulator, and slowly stepping up the voltage will cause the motor to overload, fixing the problem... It is way cheaper to get a new fridge than get if fixed too.

If you can get the resources, this is a good idea... Get ahold of a rheostat (anyone in electronics can help you with that), a 220V dryer cable, some wire, and a standard wall socket from a hardware store... Connect the 220V cord to the rheostat, then on the opposing side of the rheostat, connect the wall socket. plug the fridge into the wall socket, and plug the 220V into any 220V outlet (behind dryers, electric stoves, some larger a/c's)... MAKE SURE THE RHEOSTAT IS ZEROED OUT BEFORE PLUGGING ANYTHING IN!... Then, slowly turn the rheostat up, until you hear fridge kick on... that is when the rheostat has reached normal voltage. Then slowly turn the rheostat up... It should kill the motor, with the amount of voltage going to the fridge... It will smoke a little bit... No fire. The rheostat is basically a voltage regulator, and slowly stepping up the voltage will cause the motor to overload, fixing the problem... It is way cheaper to get a new fridge than get if fixed too.

That's a cool idea :devil: :D

Crumby landlords trying to do anything to avoid paying out! When I was a landlord, if the fridge was broken, I bought a new fridge. Fair is fair!

Crumby landlords trying to do anything to avoid paying out! When I was a landlord, if the fridge was broken, I bought a new fridge. Fair is fair!

good man!

Well, my tennants were trustworthy, never tried to rip me off, never caused any problems, so why should I?

A good relationship is mutually beneficial.

lmao...a friend of mine has had a hole in his roof for 3 and a half years...they get someone over about once every 2-3 months. ALl of them do the same thing...

whoa, thats a big hole....it rain in there? (friend says yes).  Hmm...I'll be back tomorrow with the stuff...

Not once has one come back...

As for the fridge...loosened wires can easily be repaired. Either use the rheostat or just give it a nice "shock" (have extenquisher ready - you can claim the bloody thing just caught fire while you were cooking).

Otherwise your temporary solution might as well be a long term one as there really aren't many ways to "destroy" a fridge without someone catching on...

Have you tried leaving the fridge door wide open on hot days? It'll be trying to lower the temperature of the entire room, hence its thermostat will never cut it off and it'll be working at full power the whole time, shortening its life.

Start calculating the cost of any food that goes off, and ask him to re-emburese you as the fridge HE supplies is not up to the task.

Heh. I had this excat problem. A few weeks after I moved into a flat on the main street in town, the fridge, an old one, just gave up working on keeping my food cold enough. I came home one night from college to find the fridge door has been opend (I did check it to make sure it's closed before I left). I informed the owner of the flats who was also a video shop owner and he had a spare fridge downstairs for me.

If the fridge belongs to the college or whereever you are living, always inform the manager or owner of the place and they should be happy to replace just as the owner was to me. If the fridge belongs to you, then it's at your expense or choice to purchase a new one (a second-hand one is best - just make sure it works before buying.)

If the fridge belongs to the college or whereever you are living, always inform the manager or owner of the place and they should be happy to replace just as the owner was to me. If the fridge belongs to you, then it's at your expense or choice to purchase a new one (a second-hand one is best - just make sure it works before buying.)

I think I like your idea the best. Nothing sketchy about it. I will write a letter to the head of college housing, telling him the situation. That way I don't end up shocking myself or burning down the building.

Thanks for all of the funny ideas though, guys.

• 4 years later...

I work at a a certain hardware store and whenever we send people out with fridges and they lay them down for transport, we say to leave them upright for a while because of the condenser I believe it is. If you run it immediately after having it laid down it'll ruin the condenser.

After Googling "why not to lay a refrigerator down"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_it_bad_to_lay_a_refrigerator_on_it%27s_side

It is possible damage will result. Your fridge's compressor motor may be suspended inside the compressor housing on three or four springs. These springs are designed to hold the motor load in a vertical position. Transporting a fridge on it's side can stretch or break these springs which can cause a shudder stop condition (the fridge makes a shuddering banging noise every time the compressor stops and sometimes when it starts).

It's considered to be a good idea to let a fridge sit for a bit anytime it is moved. I believe "overnight" is appropriate, to settle the refrigerant and any possible products of wear to their appropriate area in this closed system.

Make sure you remove the doors from your old fridge unless you are immediately getting rid of it or it is stored somewhere kids cannot get to it.