Why would anyone want to use a Mac based server?

I?ve got a question for you. Why would anyone want to wear red shirt? Its not better

So what is the poin:whistle:tle:

and, who says you can't do anything on a mac that you can on linux or windows? whether to use a mac based server or not is just personal preference, like why some people like mac over pc.

and im sure you don't own a mac. im not saying that mac is better than windows or linux.

of course microsoft doesn't say it's cool to use xserve. same thing applies to apple. does apple tell you to use Windows Server 2003?

Active Directory, eh? well, maybe apple doesn't have that but does windows have expos??

Longhorn will trump any GUI in the Mac OS. We will see the same thing we saw with Windows 95. Mac OS doesnt have anything like all the stuff in Longhorn. < Thats my opinion. Dont take it as fact.

Active Directory, eh? well, maybe apple doesn't have that but does windows have expos??

actually they do, i think it's called winexpose... but from what i've heard from people who've used it, it sucks, even on speedy machines.

and as ivand said, i think WebDAV is the equivalent of active directory, although i do not care to figure out what ad is.

actually they do, i think it's called winexpose... but from what i've heard from people who've used it, it sucks, even on speedy machines.

and as ivand said, i think WebDAV is the equivalent of active directory, although i do not care to figure out what ad is.

but actually microsoft didn't make them. it's a 3rd party software and that's different from what we're discussing here.

AD (made by MS) <--> Expos? (built in Mac OS X/(server))

Also, where does Microsoft say its cool to use XServe?

I don't think he meant they literally said it's 'cool', I think he was referring to this part of the article he linked:

The Apple Xserve RAID has qualified under the Microsoft Designed for Windows Logo Program

Longhorn will trump any GUI in the Mac OS. We will see the same thing we saw with Windows 95. Mac OS doesnt have anything like all the stuff in Longhorn. < Thats my opinion. Dont take it as fact.

Ok youre stating your opinoins in a thread that you made yourself and wanted answers...they gave you reasons why and youre just fighting back.

well Mac OS X doesn't have what Longhorn has. Yeah, that's right. But do you know what Mac OS X will be like by the time your dear Microsoft releases Longhorn which will be... 2 years from now? :rolleyes: Oh and another thing is... Just why on earth would you need a pretty interface for A SERVER???

i think what you mean to say is: "Longhorn will trump and GUI in the CURRENT Mac OS." by the time longhorn is even released (in what, 2006? 2007? i've heard it may even be till 2009) i'm sure apple will have plenty of gui goodies that will destroy your precious longhorn.

Why would anyone want to use a mac based server? I guess maybe just to say you were using one... kinda like how i load up NT4 Server on my server box every now and then. Maybe you have a mac sittin around and that's the best idea you could come up with. Those are about the only things I can think of... but the bottom line is that there's no good reason to run out and get a mac to be a server.

you know when you pull it out of the box, and turn it on, it will all just work.

All though I hate to say this thats not true. my friend got a Dual G5 2/0 and right when he got it it wouldn't boot. One processor was dead.

But I say mac servers are probably more secure, easy to use and look damn good.

you guys need girlfriends...

you should see the choices around where i live... and i'm not joking. at all.

liquid: consumer reports does an analysis of doa's and apple is consistently on top, so his problem was certainly a rare one.

i think what you mean to say is: "Longhorn will trump and GUI in the CURRENT Mac OS." by the time longhorn is even released (in what, 2006? 2007? i've heard it may even be till 2009) i'm sure apple will have plenty of gui goodies that will destroy your precious longhorn.

This is the first time in a long time Microsoft has decided to get serious about the Windows GUI.

Microsoft is pouring 6 billion into the development of Longhorn, I don?t see Microsoft loosing this time.

Way to contribute to the topic :no:

My best guess would be stability, security, ease of use, and apple has always had good tech support.

why? just because you have a girlfriend doesn't mean you have a social life. In fact, from what i've seen and experienced having a girlfriend decreases the amount of time you spend going out with your mates.

anyway, keep on topic or shutup

This is the first time in a long time Microsoft has decided to get serious about the Windows GUI.

Microsoft is pouring 6 billion into the development of Longhorn, I don?t see Microsoft loosing this time.

whatever you say, hoss.

you're not even worth arguing with.

*runs off to watch adult swim

but this is not the first time Microsoft has ignored many other important things in an OS, so I don't see Microsoft winning. Again, I'm not saying Longhorn sucks or whatever, I will for sure buy it and install it on my PC when MS releases it. but what we're talking about here is SERVER, not WORKSTATION. I personally don't believe that GUI is an important thing in a server. Just as I said, what the hell would you need a pretty interface for a server? It's a server.

This thread has started turning into a Windows v.s. Mac wa:/:/

Edited by session

*Sigh* another flamebait thread?

Why use Mac OS Server?

Look Here:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

-Ease of use compared to linux servers

-Open directory http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/open_directory.html which is compatible with Active directory.

-Supports roaming profiles for both mac and windows clients with Samba 3 and windows services

-Support Webobjects, JBoss, Oracle etc......

- Reasonable licensing 499 USD for 10 clients or 999 USD for unlimited clients.

Every installation of OS X (client and server) comes with Apache.

Hey,

Can a mod please give this guy a warning. I just wanted a calm thread.

Cheers,

area91

Well, I think you're the one who needs to calm down a little bit, area91! :/

Guys, cmon, just chill out. Also, we mods can do our jobs without being told every single thread.

Thanks for some of the info guys. I always enjoy learning something new.

I?ve got a question for you. Why would anyone want to use a Mac based server? Its not faster, and you can?t do anything on a Mac that you can on Linux, or Windows.

So what is the point?

I?ve got a question for you. Why would anyone want to Windowsws based server? Its not faster, and you can?t do anythiWindows Server ver that you can on Linux, or Mac.

So what is the point?

or

I?ve got a question for you. Why would anyone wantLinux>Linux based server? Its not faster, and you can?t do anLinux Server Server that you can on Mac, or Windows.

So what is tGet it?>Ge:crazy:b> :crazy:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Friend. Mac OS has now what Longhorn may have by 2006. And by that time Mac OS will be better. Why? Because Apple employs people who know what Aesthetics are and can actually form a standard UI that they conform to, something that Windows XP and it Luna theme does very poorly.

Could someone please make this thread die of a long, horrible death?

It really hurts my brain when I read how you ask why would anyone want to run an OS X server and then promptly switch to rebutal mode whenever someone answers...

Please.