Network Connections Properties crashes Explorer

Hey everyone.

What's been happening to me is this:

Whenever I go to my network connections list (with the Local Area Connection) and right click on it and click "Properties", my Explorer.exe instantly crashes.

This problem doesn't occur, though, if I disable the network device first.

However, if it is enabled and I try to view its properties, explorer.exe crashes.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

disregard - I posted in the wrong thread - sorry.

It happens :p

Ravager, you mentioned that explorer will not crash if the NIC is disabled - Could it be that the crashing is caused by the NIC driver?

Unlikely. I uninstalled the drivers for EACH of my cards (one's a wireless), and reinstalled them.

Both cards exhibit the exact same problems.

things to try - > delete or disable the connection/s if possible. uninstall drivers from add/remove. then be sure the network adapters have been removed also from device manager. shutdown, put the adapters/NICs into different PCI slots. restart. install drivers. reconfigure connection properties. might help to uninstall any software firewalls too. if you've been 'tweaking' any services, go an untweak them

I can't really switch around my NICs, since one is in the mobo.

But I tried uninstalling/rebooting again... same problem.

And there's nothing in Event Viewer. :(

Nothing in Event viewer at all? That's weird.. Explorer crashing should be logged. Are you sure that you didn't miss it? Try clearing what's already been logged in Event Viewer and see what gets recorded after Explorer crashes.

The odd thing is that I don't really know when this began.

I just remember trying to access my properties a few days ago and Explorer just crashed...

You are not alone in this strange error... I too am experiencing the same situation, if my network adapter is enabled and I go to view the properties of it, Explorer crashes, if I disable the adapter and view the properties it works fine... I mean I can live with this strange occurance by going the disabled route.. I had even gone out to 3COM and pulled the drivers for the 3C905C-TX and that didn't seem to help... I just reloaded this workstation last week and this is the first time in the history of me using Windows XP that I have experienced this....

Anyone have any other clues??

I am having the same problem with a user's laptop. Haven't tried the below step yet as they need to get back on to their machine. Currently on wireless instead of wired card.

After you disable the adapter can you try going in and removing/reinstalling the tcp/ip protocol? See if that works? Let me know.

Thanks.

Del

You can't remove TCP/IP on XP, and I really wish you could because I have a similar problem of my own. I can open the connection properties just fine, but on the General tab, I can't view the TCP/IP properties :s I've tried everything I know and everything I've seen, and given up several times. I think it goes back to that time I tried to manually remove NETBIOS from my machine :whistle: :pinch: