• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X 10.4 Details

misecia    0

The latest news today involving Mac OS 10.4 is...

ADDED EXPOSE FUNCTIONS (NEW)

Everyone must remember that blue blob the came up if you did a hidden command in the terminal, or how about the black box that everything flies into and you can drag around scree. Remember those? Well they will be real functions in Mac OS 10.4, and selectable in the Expose control panel. It was hidden for a reason you know!

SLOWING DOWN RELEASES (NEW)

After 10.4 is released, which should be August if Apple's schedule is on time (but when is it ever!) There will be a slowdown of software releases, the next update coming in around 1.5-2 years. 10.4 should be thought of as a Public Beta for 10.5 which will be the 'perfect' OS. 10.4 will be avalialble for free, as a way of saying Thank you for paying $129 3 times. EDIT : This was confirmed today when Avie Tevanian said "We're slowing that (pace) down a little bit... because that's not a sustainable rate" today at the SIIA Enterprise Software Summit. "But you'll still see us go really fast."

iSIGHT 2 & iCHAT (NEW)

The iSight 2 is expected to be released sooner than we expect, but it will be for defiante at WWDC. This new iSight differs from the previous gen because it is developed by OrangeMicro and manufactured by Apple. This will create a driverless iSight that can be used in any app where a webcam is allowed without special drivers. The iSight is slightly different in terms of looks because the back of it is curved and features the new iChat logo. iChat 3 does not differ alot, we will have more info on that soon.

REMOTE DESKTOP SHARING

In Mac OS 10.4 you will be able to control another computer remotely (ie. similar to the Windows Remote Assistance) You will have full control of your friends desktop, simply by logging into their account, complete with the Cube effect, and you have full control over the desktop, you can move cursor, open files, delete files....Your friend will have a Window Manager, so they can see what you are doing, and can kick you off if your bad!

PILES - ICON ARRANGEMENT

Piles has been rumored so many times before for inclusion in Jaguar and Panther, but now finally it will come. It narrowly missed out being in Panther, but the last 9 months have helped create it into an even better feature. You can drag all your icons in any folder, and your desktop, and arrange them into stacks. This stacks can then be placed anywhere in your folder. When you want to un-pile, you can simple do so by RIGHT CLICKING and selecting UNPILE or via the the CONFIGURE FOLDER ACTIONS button in the finder.

DVD PLAYER 5.0

Apple is sprucing up the DVD Player to mak it like VLC Media Player. It will be able to play every Video format out there and have support for captions too. It seems odd not to implement this into QuickTime Player, but the recent Movie Trailers in iTunes suggest QuickTime may just be turning into a hidden API, not an actual app.

cmove    0

Thanks for the news man :)

MipScript    0

Argh have to buy it now !! :happy:

.KICK    3
Argh have to buy it now !! :happy:

It says in the article it will be free :)

Crowmac    0

cant wait to try this out

danbalsh    0

Free? hmmmm I doubt it! but we can all hope so!

cmove    0
It says in the article it will be free :)

i don't think it's possible with Apple :wacko:

misecia    0

maybe 10.4 is going to be nothing more than an advanced service pack or something?

firebud    0

Lets hope, cause I just ordered an iBook with Panther, and I don't want to have to shell out $100.00 for another OS. :(

wtmcgee    0

could you IMAGINE the good press they'd get it this was a free release?

however, i don't really expect it to be free, and i'll gladly buy 10.4 they day it comes out.

Knight'    0

mmm Mac OSX Tiger (Y)

sebaz    0
Lets hope, cause I just ordered an iBook with Panther, and I don't want to have to shell out $100.00 for another OS.:(:(

Im sure that apple would do something along the lines of.."if you bought X system from certain to certain date, send 15 bucks and we will send u a copy.."

SFNE Freak    0

I highly doubt this place knows anything, but it'd be cool to see a new iSight and those other features. I've been looking to get an iSight, but I'll wait if a spiffier one comes out in July.

the evn show    138

I don't give a damn about new expos? features.

I want a finder that works: one that always updates when the filesystem changes (kqueue anyone?), remembers my settings for windows or ignores them CONSISTENTLY (I don't care at this point: just pick one and do it), stays in spacial mode when I ask it to, and I want that 10.2 connect to server dialog back because the method in 10.3 is terrible by comparison.

Some of the OS9 goodies (useful apple menu, tab folders, etc) would be nice but I'm not counting on those.

Also, what ever happened to the HIG? Specifically the one that says not to make options available in context menus that aren't selectable from the main menu? This isn't Windows people! Action button be damned!

q: why would DVD-Player be more like VLC? Wouldn't it make more sense to add the appropriate decoders to QuickTime (which already plays 400+ formats) than to graft them onto DVD-Player?

Just as well this is all rumor and speculation (save for the development pace) because some of it is down right insane if it were true.

Dazzla    5

Unless they magically come up with "over a hundred new features" like before, this won't be a full price release. They just can't justify it, Panther is just so good, the jump from panther is never going to be huge.

theDose    0
q: why would DVD-Player be more like VLC? Wouldn't it make more sense to add the appropriate decoders to QuickTime (which already plays 400+ formats) than to graft them onto DVD-Player?

i couldn't agree more!

PureEdit    0
i couldn't agree more!

I think it would be sweet if DVD player played a lot more file types. I really dont like quicktime, and having it just an API like they suggest would be awesome. Why do we need QT and DVD Player when one app could do both?

theDose    0

true, they should just pick one!

sheer    0

The only bit of that which I've heard of, and was reported this week at the INQ etc, was Apple slowing down releases. A major upgrade every year is unsustainable, especially when you consider Apple don't have the resources M$ do. Another side of that are Apple's iLife products as well as their pro products like Logic etc. They have to make sure an update doesn't break one (or more) of those apps as well as keeping up development of those apps. This may be a realisation that they are spreading themselves too thinly (recent security exploits not being picked up as quick as people would like may highlight this).

X.4 as a free update would be nice tho.

XP_01    0
A major upgrade every year is unsustainable, especially when you consider Apple don't have the resources M$ do.

haha looking at longhorn Microsoft has more problems than Apple, when developing a new system :p

jedimasterk    2

If Linux distributions aren't allowed to include a working DVD player do to legal and copyright laws, than what gives Apple the right to include a DVD player with Mac OSX 10.4.

the evn show    138

Apple pays the licenses fees for you, and includes it with the cost of OS X. Same story with their MP3 encoder/decoders, and the license fees for Fonts like Helvetica.

jedimasterk    2

If Apple supports the open source community so much, than put out a Linux and Free BSD version of Quicktime 6 and iTunes. The open source community has put out allot of software for the Mac community. The Mac community and Apple haven't put out a useful piece of software for the open source community yet!!.

wtmcgee    0

ask the konqueror uses what they think about that.

the evn show    138

They gave an entire OS (darwin), spent thousands of man hours on kHTML (webkit), gave the first and only real working version of Zero-Conf (Rendezvous), added improvements to OpenLDAP, tweaked on SMB sharing. They also provided significant resources to MkLinux "back in the day".

I suppose you could ignore all that, but they also put in time on Streaming Server, Kerbos, CUPs, and worked with IBM to improve GCC.

Open source isn't "if you make stuff with our code, you have to make something new and give it to us". It's "If you distribute our code, you have to make your improvements available to everyone" which apple does very well