Mac OS X 10.4 Details

If Apple supports the open source community so much, than put out a Linux and Free BSD version of Quicktime 6 and iTunes. The open source community has put out allot of software for the Mac community. The Mac community and Apple haven't put out a useful piece of software for the open source community yet!!.

pfff c'mon, Apple isn't a charity organisation grow up

It says in the article it will be free :)

Thats what I get for not reading the bits I was interested in :laugh:

If this is going to be free I'm going to be very happy as no one can beat free stuff!

haha looking at longhorn Microsoft has more problems than Apple, when developing a new system  :p

Classic OS to OS X didn't happen overnight tho! ;) Copland anybody? :laugh:

Oh well, we're there now! :)

Nice to see some info on tiger, but to be honest, especially with Apple, its more a case of believe it when I see it... - Well unless they happen to mis place jpg's on the Apple Store... :whistle: :p

Maybe I do not fully understand it, but piles seem rather silly and not worth the hype they were given. As I understand it, it is just a way to stack icons so you can fit even more **** on your desktop or folders? I mean wouldn't just making another folder suffice rather than introducing another metaphor? Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Maybe I do not fully understand it, but piles seem rather silly and not worth the hype they were given.  As I understand it, it is just a way to stack icons so you can fit even more **** on your desktop or folders?  I mean wouldn't just making another folder suffice rather than introducing another metaphor?  Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Well.. Piles on a desktop make more sense than folders.. In terms of the whole desktop metaphor that is.

ask the konqueror uses what they think about that.

Konqueror was out way before Safari. Great Apple uses Konqueror to develop Safari. Thanks to the open-source community, I might add. Why not use a "proprietary" base like IE, if they love to be proprietary, with their software. So where is Apple's software contribution to open-source?.. Not just verbal contributions!. They sure contributed software wise to the Windows community!!. You cannot argue with me on this one at all!. You all know what I mean. Apple had developed a free version of Quicktime and iTunes for both Mac OSX and Windows XP users. They can do the same for Linux users.

Another point to ponder. How will I be able to watch, Steve Job's WWDC webcast with my Konqueror, browser. I use Suse Linux 9.1. Do I have to reboot into Windows XP to watch it. I thought you said Apple contributes to Konqueror.

Another point to ponder. How will I be able to watch, Steve Job's WWDC webcast with my Konqueror, browser. I use Suse Linux 9.1. Do I have to reboot into Windows XP to watch it. I thought you said Apple contributes to Konqueror.

they do, but you have to remember, steve job's wwdc webcast is in quicktime format which the last time i used linux, well... it wast supported on linux...

They gave an entire OS (darwin), spent thousands of man hours on kHTML (webkit), gave the first and only real working version of Zero-Conf (Rendezvous), added improvements to OpenLDAP, tweaked on SMB sharing. They also provided significant resources to MkLinux "back in the day".

I suppose you could ignore all that, but they also put in time on Streaming Server, Kerbos, CUPs, and worked with IBM to improve GCC.

Open source isn't "if you make stuff with our code, you have to make something new and give it to us". It's "If you distribute our code, you have to make your improvements available to everyone" which apple does very well

Great Darwin!. Where can I buy that?. What desktop user interface does it use?. Does it include Quicktime 6 and iTunes, or iDVD. Darwin has not been used at all by leading Linux distributers (RedHat, Suse, Mandrake, SUN). Like I said, a useful piece of software. The only people who use Darwin is Apple!. All these contributions you stated, does not help the Linux user watch a Quicktime video trailer, or buy music from the Apple store at all!!. Linux users gave Apple users OpenOffice for Mac, Gimp for Mac, Safari, thanks to Konqueror, and allot more applications. Go to www.sourceforge.net. Specifically http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_l...hp?form_cat=309. So in other words thanks open-source community for giving us software for Mac OSX Panther. But sc..ew you!. We will not give out any of our software to your kind!. Their is no money in it!!. That is what it basically boils down to. Maybe our US governemnt should pass a law that all streaming video or video period should be based on open source standards, so that everyone can make improvements.

they do, but you have to remember, steve job's wwdc webcast is in quicktime format which the last time i used linux, well... it wast supported on linux...

Because Apple refuses to contribute it's codec to the open-source community. But hey will help in other ways!.

jedimasterk, You're wrong about Apple's contribution to the open-source community. the evn show made a great point when he listed all of Apple's contributions. Complaining about something stupid like this would be like me calling you a bad person because you don't contribute to the Asian Mothers Against Petty Larsony Fund. Apple doesn't have to make software for Linux. They haven't created any specific applications for the open-source community. However, they have made significant advancements to open-source projects.

Because Apple refuses to contribute it's codec to the open-source community. But hey will help in other ways!.

The latest QT is just mpeg4 and can be played with things like VLC and mplayer. I dont think they support streaming files however.

holy cow new iSight? we've just purchased 3 iSights recently, will be getting another 2 soon, guess i should wait til aug.. but that's like 3 months away... :unsure:

jedimasterk, You're wrong about Apple's contribution to the open-source community. the evn show made a great point when he listed all of Apple's contributions. Complaining about something stupid like this would be like me calling you a bad person because you don't contribute to the Asian Mothers Against Petty Larsony Fund. Apple doesn't have to make software for Linux. They haven't created any specific applications for the open-source community. However, they have made significant advancements to open-source projects.

If they don't want to contribute any software to the open-source community, only to proprietary companies like Microsoft. Than the open-source community doesn't need any help at all from Apple. So I hope the next Mac operating system will not be based on UNIX. Maybe NT will be better suited. Their no better than SCO and Microsoft. Do you really think that it is so hard to develop free Apple software, like iTunes for linux. It would probablty be way easier than Windows. I guess companies like Suse, Mandrake, and RedHat will have to fight two fronts now. Apple and Microsoft.

If they don't want to contribute any software to the open-source community, only to proprietary companies like Microsoft. Than the open-source community doesn't need any help at all from Apple. So I hope the next Mac operating system will not be based on UNIX. Maybe NT will be better suited. Their no better than SCO and Microsoft. Do you really think that it is so hard to develop free Apple software, like iTunes for linux. It would probablty be way easier than Windows.? I guess companies like Suse, Mandrake, and RedHat will have to fight two fronts now. Apple and Microsoft.>

What is you point then? :laugh::

My own view is, they're borrowing technologies, and in turn share back the technologies, with improvements.

Its a bit like going to the library, annotating the pages for your exam, then taking it back... The next person will be pleased you did this! :laugh:: :pp

oh get over it jedimasterk. why don't you ask bill gates to contribute pdc (microsoft doesn't even webcast pdc) in quick time format :sleep:

what you point out is like asking apple to write an os based on linux. it's your choice whether you wanna use it!

What is you point then? :laugh:

My own view is, they're borrowing technologies, and in turn share back the technologies, with improvements.

Its a bit like going to the library, annotating the pages for your exam, then taking it back... The next person will be pleased you did this! :laugh: :p

My point is this Quicktime 6 (For Windows XP, Mac OSX, and now Linux)

iTunes 4 (For Windows XP, Mac OSX, and now Linux)

My point is this Quicktime 6 (For Windows XP, Mac OSX, and now Linux)

iTunes 4 (For Windows XP, Mac OSX, and now Linux)

well that might happen one day but you can't really count on that ;)

But WHY should they develop the Applications? I can see that Linux users might want the Apps, but it comes down to what they can get through developing them, certainly with iTunes. I'm afraid, Linux doesn't have the user base, like Windows does. The same theory, applied in reverse works. Why don't all these Windows games come out on Mac OS X. Or applications... The way i see it is, you choose the platform, for whatever appealed to you at the time, you knew Quicktime and iTunes wasn't on Linux, like i knew Microsoft didn't develop Access for OS X. Its life...

But WHY should they develop the Applications? I can see that Linux users might want the Apps, but it comes down to what they can get through developing them, certainly with iTunes. I'm afraid, Linux doesn't have the user base, like Windows does. The same theory, applied in reverse works. Why don't all these Windows games come out on Mac OS X. Or applications... The way i see it is, you choose the platform, for whatever appealed to you at the time, you knew Quicktime and iTunes wasn't on Linux, like i knew Microsoft didn't develop Access for OS X. Its life...

true

Konqueror was out way before Safari. Great Apple uses Konqueror to develop Safari. Thanks to the open-source community, <snip> So where is Apple's software contribution to open-source?

You're right, Konquerer was out way before Safari, and Apple saw that Konquerer was the best choice to build a browser upon, so they took what they had from the open source community, fixed it, tweaked it, changed what they needed to, and then, oh get this, the day Safari was released, they gave back their fixes, changes, and whatnot to the KHTML community to use!

Shocking! Not really, they do this constantly.

This is of course, just one of many projects that Apple contributes to on the Open Source platform. Darwin is a pretty significant thing, it's the whole backbone of OS X, and it's based off many open source projects, which Apple also contributes to, and is re-released back into the public for anyone to view, manipulate, use, etc...

Now onto QT and iTunes for Linux.

QT is there because, well, it's been there for years now, and is a popular format on both platforms, way before Linux was ever really popular. Now that it's picking up pace, I could see a plugin for it, but I wouldn't see much more than that.

iTunes for Windows was made for one reason, to sell iPods and Music Store downloads. That's all. Why else would Apple put one of it's flagship applications onto it's main rival OS? Windows is an immensely huge market because it's the dominant OS out there, so there's a huge number of users. There's around 260-300 million people in the USA that I can recall (probably old statistics I know). My numbers are nowhere correct, but guessing that a good 60 percent of those people are over 18 and have the ability to attain credit cards to buy things, that's almost 180 million people that they can sell to, and that includes Windows and Mac.

The harsh reality is that Linux isn't a big market for Apple to sell to. You won't find your everyday consumer using a Linux based machine, you'll see them using Windows or Mac, so it's easier to sell to them. Go out to a large shopping center, a public place where there are hundreds of people, amusement park, etc, and take a poll of what OS that they use, you'll find Windows and Mac to be the dominant two, and any Linux distributions on the bottom, because it's just not mainstream.

I hope you get the idea, I don't feel like spending too much more time on this.