• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X 10.4 Details

JadeWolf324    0

the thing thats nice about OSX is that they have taken projects from Unix\Linux and vastly improved upon them.

take samba for instance:

as i was told they have made a control panel and user interface to setup printing and what not (the core of what samba is supposed to do)

thats a huge thing seeing as how linux has a notepad editor for it and some buggy web browser configuration thing that doesnt always work right. as far as im concerned let OSX improve upon Linux innovations, OSX will just be the commerical side of linux.

the evn show    138

You can't buy it: it's free. If you want to browse the source code you can grab it from Apple's servers or if you'd rather install a binary distribution for x86 or PPC then you can grab it from openDarwin. Feel free to use that source code in your own projects, or to improve it and give it back to the community - you know, kind of like what Apple does. Or you can bundle it up and sell it if you want.

What desktop user interface does it use?
Both gnome and kde have been ported to it and are free to use. Darwin forms the basis for OS X so it also runs Aqua, but that's only available for OS X which is partialy open and partially closed source and fully "not free as in beer".
Does it include Quicktime 6 and iTunes, or iDVD.

No it doesn't. Just because Apple makes some open source offerings doesn't mean the whole mess is open or free. Perhaps you'd prefer a fully closed source company that offers nothing back?

Darwin has not been used at all by leading Linux distributers
That might have something to do with NOT BEING LINUX. Parts of the Darwin source have found their way back into Linux in the form of support for PPC hardware and file system drivers.
Like I said, a useful piece of software

Rendezvous, Firewire (hardware standard developed by apple and given to the IEEE), their improvements to kHTML, SaMBa, CUPs, and GCC were given back to the community. OpenSource (even RMS's vision of it) isn't about getting a metric-buttload of software, it's about getting the best software. What good does Apple do anyone by re-inventing another HTML render engine? Do you think the KDE folk would pick it up? It's much better that Apple takes something that's already coming along, spends some of it's billion dollar R&D budget improving it, and then everyone can enjoy the fruits of that labour.

The only people who use Darwin is Apple!.
There's nothing stopping you from using it. Apple can't make you use their software - not even in the same (limited) sense that Microsoft does. All they can do is contribute, and the rest is up to the world.
So in other words thanks open-source community for giving us software for Mac OSX Panther.

Steve has thanked independent developers, and the community during his keynote addresses, in marketing, and gives credit where it's due on the developer and product pages.

But sc..ew you!. We will not give out any of our software to your kind!.
Except for an operating system, and networking tools, and improvements to one of the most popular render engines, and drivers, and source code, ...
Maybe our US governemnt should pass a law that all streaming video or video period should be based on open source standards, so that everyone can make improvements.

I'm glad I'm not an American, nor do I have plans to work there. this kind of law is frightening.

If I developed a way to send HDTV grade video down a 4kb/s connection I want to be able to license that development out. What reason is there for me to study signal processing if I'm going to have to spend all that money out of pocket and never have the hope of recouping my costs?

macman87    0

Back on the original post - where's the info from?

More expose - thats possible i guess. why does everyone try to guess they are gonna be more or this and more of that, when something is released? somethings just don't get improved.

I doubt apple would give us a free upgrade if theres alot of stuff in it. panther did in the last 2 quarters for apple. companies aren't there to be kind. and slowing down... does that mean that mean steve will skip showing off the next Mac OS X at WWDC? 10.2 and 10.3 was previewed at wwdc so what about 10.5?

i really get why apple has to make another isight. the products going fine. but i guess they have have to have a 2nd gen sometime...

remote desktop - is steve gonna say "another feature from windows xp and we are catching up to them"? i don't find this feature that great but the help and support built into mac os x sucks anyway...

piles. - I don't get the whole thing and whats the big deal?

dvd player - imo, apple should dump the qt player (keep the codec) and dvd player, and make a iApp. complete with organize your movies and videos from imovie, and the net. preview movie trailers and stuff like that. but then, what about qt player for windows? hmmm

all of these features don't seem like a worthy upgrade...

I want a better finder. preview pictures like in windows xp, fix the bloody networking, and of course the always rumored meta data file system thingy. i would be able to search music on my computer by just typing a album name or the comments i gave it.. i could also search pictures much faster, by just giving some a few keywords... pretty useful. i don't no what the full extent of how to use this, but its a good thing. apple could say "we did it before Microsoft which steve loves doing."

i also want better help and support. the current one is disgraceful. it looks ugly and i can barely help myself if i wanted to. more assistants (not as much as windows, but just add a few more).

and off course as always i want it to be faster.

Edited by Phillip

XP_01    0
Classic OS to OS X didn't happen overnight tho! ;)

No duh, but Windows XP will be in stores until 2006 before it gets replaced. That's just nuts for a system that has been released in 2001 without any real updates since than (except for the security updates) .

macman87    0
No duh, but Windows XP will be in stores until 2006 before it gets replaced. That's just nuts for a system that has been released in 2001 without any real updates since than (except for the security updates) .

service pack 1 seems to add abit...

as much as i hate to say this, windows xp is still a pretty decent os compared to mac os x. in some areas its better than os x.

XP_01    0
service pack 1 seems to add abit...

as much as i hate to say this, windows xp is still a pretty decent os compared to mac os x. in some areas its better than os x.

The service packs don't add new features only bugfixes.

But yeah Windows XP has some good things too, it works faster than OS X does for one thing. :cool:

But I don't know how Windows XP will hold up against other OSs in 2005-2006

Edited by XP_2003

99 to Life    0

thank you! that's exactly how I feel! EXACTLY!

XP_01    0
thank you! that's exactly how I feel! EXACTLY!

SEE! Even real Windows users feel that way :p

just kidding :laugh:

Steve    2

My point was, Mac OS was in a worst state, IMO, than XP is now, whilst looking for a modern day OS... It took many years, but I am sure no OS X users regret, much like I assume Longhorn users will say the same, when they're time comes. When you consider XP -- > Longhorn, and the work between Copland, Rhapsody etc, through to a workable version of OS X - JagWire!?... The time-scales aren't too different afterall...

Rek    0

Now i'll have to download 10.4 :angry: :shifty: <-- Warez Monkey!11

Steve    2
Now i'll have to download 10.4 :angry: :shifty: <-- Warez Monkey!11

Why? Didn't someone report as supposedly being a free upgrade? :huh:

Rek    0
Why? Didn't someone report as supposedly being a free upgrade? :huh:

yeah but also people said if its apple you may have to pay for it.

Steve    2

'if its apple'

Didn't know any other vendor gave away free OS Upgrades?

Can't really complain, can you? If you don't want it, don't get it... :huh:

Dashel    542

You guys would do well to not be so quick to bash jedimasterk for telling it how it is. Apple's only interest in open source "is what it can extract, both in technology and publicity."..."Because Apple is using technology licensed without restrictions, rather than under the GPL commonly found in Linux software, the company can use Mach code, exploit what the open source community has done, make proprietary modifications, and give back nothing of substance," Leibovitch wrote. "And that appears to be exactly what Apple has done."

The open source community has primarily wanted only two things from Apple, Quicktime and TrueType font support. When Apple needed help in the beginning was happy to promise but now would rather 'contribute' things that few in the community really care about. A lot of show and little substance. I freely admit that the open source community shouldn't be too surprised by all of this however, as from the beginning they chose to use BSD for this very reason.

I'm not saying its right or wrong but many people I know that support the GPL feel a little upset by Apple's hype regarding open source.

SFNE Freak    0

Don't worry, if you give the torrent like a day for it to get popular, you'll be able to download the entire thing in about 2 hours I'd say.

danbalsh    0
The open source community has primarily wanted only two things from Apple, Quicktime and TrueType font support.

You'll never see a GPL'ed version of Quicktime in it's current state, Apple makes too much money off QT to give the source code away.

What you *might* someday see is a cut-down version of Qucktime GPL'ed, obviously without all the MPEG4 stuff (as you require a license, which Apple pays for you)

- On a side note, Apple has made considerable additions to KHTML, and also Samba ... these are things that you don't *see* but are used everyday my millions of people.

At the end of the day Apple is a businesss and can't afford to give away it's key technologies for free.

SPeedY_B    0

Seems interesting, few things have me either puzzled/surprised/not surprised though...

ADDED EXPOSE FUNCTIONS (NEW)

Woo yay.

SLOWING DOWN RELEASES (NEW)

Heard this elsewhere too, sounds like a good idea :)

iSIGHT 2 & iCHAT (NEW)

New iChat can only be a good thing, not so sure on the new iSight though, and what's driverless supposed to mean? I never had to install anything to get my iSight working and that works with anything that can use a web-cam (ie: anything I'd need to use it for)

REMOTE DESKTOP SHARING

Doesn't Apple remote desktop already do this? or am I way off ... I've never used it so wouldn't know :)

PILES - ICON ARRANGEMENT

No comment.

DVD PLAYER 5.0

It seems completely ilogical to put these features into DVD player, unless they rename it to "media player" .. or rather something similar to avoid issued with Microsoft, however it seems logical when put into perspective of pushing quicktime into the background as simply a codec... but im not sure they'd do that.

either way, I'd like more codecs on OSX 'out the box' not that I don't like using VLC, it would just make things simpler :)

Southern Patriot    962

What would be logical, in the case of DVD Player, would be for it to support VCD and SVCD (most, if not all, other software DVD players do, why doesn't Apple's?).

Schmoove    1
What you *might* someday see is a cut-down version of Qucktime GPL'ed, obviously without all the MPEG4 stuff (as you require a license, which Apple pays for you)

Not to spoil your fun buddy, but it is YOU who pays for that.... Apple doesn't give you that for free.

It is just part of the price you pay when you buy Mac OSX.

TheReaperMan    393

and i figured it was all us xp users that bitch to much about our os, hehe

mm will this run on pearpc :D

werejag    0

lol happened with 10.1,10.2,10.3 now 10.4 apple doesnt do free to well. they will make you pay out your noses.

danbalsh    0
Not to spoil your fun buddy, but it is YOU who pays for that.... Apple doesn't give you that for free.

It is just part of the price you pay when you buy Mac OSX.

Hmmm, so what about Quicktime for Windows? the standard edition of that is free? :blink:

Gary_Player    0

It doesnt really sound like it would be worth paying $150 for...so hopefully it will be free :D

Schmoove    1
Hmmm, so what about Quicktime for Windows? the standard edition of that is free? :blink:

Yes the windows version is free, well the one with the annoying nagscreen is. Though you can bet your ass that Apple is getting the cost of that license somewhere. It is like iTunes for Windows, they give it away for free to make money out of it, same goes for Quicktime. Though I don't think they make much money out of the Quicktime users on Windows. The money has to come from somewhere so the Mac OSX users will be charged for that (partly, since I think they also get some revenue from advertisement).

...nothing is really for free in this world.

Southern Patriot    962
lol happened with 10.1,10.2,10.3 now 10.4 apple doesnt do free to well. they will make you pay out your noses.

10.1 was a free upgrade if you already had 10.0.