Thinking of Getting a G5 Server 64-bit

Once I take care of ym ears, I'm gonna up the ram to 4 GBs and then wait for a 6800 or something from nvidia or maybe ATi, since the 128 MB 9800 Pro is getting rather old.

4 gigs of ram!!! oh teh sweetness!

i'd put 8, but there's no 1 GB chips yet...I don't think

Isn't it the same 400MHz RAM in there? There are 1Gb chips avaliable, check Crucial or somebody... (My bad if it takes a different Memory spec!)

Isn't it the same 400MHz RAM in there? There are 1Gb chips avaliable, check Crucial or somebody... (My bad if it takes a different Memory spec!)

my PC was DDR, the Dual G5 is SDR (Single Data Rate?). I'm guessing the memory is cheaper, so if they have the 1 GB versions, I'll buy 8 of them and that'll be the end of it.

my PC was DDR, the Dual G5 is SDR (Single Data Rate?). I'm guessing the memory is cheaper, so if they have the 1 GB versions, I'll buy 8 of them and that'll be the end of it.

From what i've read, its DDR mate. :)

400MHz Error Correction Memory

The Xserve G5 memory controller supports fast 400MHz, 128-bit DDR SDRAM, and enables main memory to address two banks of SDRAM at a time, reading and writing on both the rising and falling edge of each clock cycle. This effectively doubles the bandwidth, enabling the Power Mac G5 to reach a maximum memory throughput of up to 6.4GB per second. In addition, direct memory access (DMA) works with the point-to-point system controller to give each subsystem ? such as PCI cards and I/O ? its own 6.4GBps interface to main memory, without siphoning power from your processorXserve G5 comes standard with 512MB or 1GB of DDR SDRAM, scalable to 8GB. That?s enough to process huge data sets and rich media files within system RAM, without the delay of having to access the disk drive. Xserve G5 uses Error Correction Code (ECC) logic to protect the system from corrupt data and transmission errors. Each DIMM has an extra memory module that stores checksum data for every transaction. The system controller uses this ECC data to identify single-bit errors and corrects them on the fly, preventing unplanned system shutdowns. In the rare event of multiple-bit errors, the system controller detects the error and triggers a system notification to prevent bad data from corrupting further operations. You can set the Server Monitor software to alert you if error rates exceed a particular threshold.

http://www.apple.com/xserve/architecture.html

ok...but my DDR memory from my PC was a no go in the mac. Is the mac using different DDR memory? I don't get it! The SDRAM was written as SDR on the memory for the mac, so I thought it was "single data rate" but I guess not. :)

ok...but my DDR memory from my PC was a no go in the mac. Is the mac using different DDR memory? I don't get it! The SDRAM was written as SDR on the memory for the mac, so I thought it was "single data rate" but I guess not. :)

Mac's seem a little more fussy than PC's on Memory, well that has been my experience anyhow.

I've got my Memory from Crucial pretty much all the time, without a problem. The specs they quote are:

Upgrade for the Apple Power Mac G5 (Dual 2.0GHz DDR)

Crucial Part Number: CT357475

1GB

DDR PC3200 ? CL=3 ? Unbuffered ? Non-parity ? DDR400 ? 2.6V ? 128Meg x 64

$389.99

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.As...9&WSPN=CT357475

is crucial good? I've only used Kingston till now.

I've had no problems, infact i've not ever heard anyone say they have... I think they are as highly regarded as Kingston, either would be fine I'm sure! ;)

Won't you be pleased if new G5's are launched at the end of the month, and you could have got one for the same money as you spent, if you'd waited those extra few weeks? :ninja:

well my version of iBook could only 'support' 640MB but other have up'd it to 1.128GB using a 1GB SODIMM, so possibly... i would try it tho IMO

:ninja: According to Apple, the U3 memory controller/PCI bridge is capable of using up to 2GB DDR 400 modules, totaling 16GB. :ninja:

post-60-1086613300.gif