Houllier to leave Liverpool

Liverpool will announce the departure of manager Gerard Houllier on Monday, BBC Sport has learned.

Houllier's Anfield reign is scheduled to end with official confirmation from the club at 1200 BST.

He arrived at Anfield in the summer of 1998 and took sole charge from Roy Evans later that season.

Liverpool will start the search for his successor immediately, with Charlton's Alan Curbishley and Valencia coach Rafael Benitez the early favourites.

However, the agent of Valencia chief Benitez told BBC Sport on Sunday that Liverpool had not made contact with his client.

Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish had been linked with a return to the club, but BBC Sport understands this is unlikely.

Houllier has paid the price for Liverpool failing to mount a serious title challenge last season, even though he guided the club into the Champions League.

It brings to an end a tenure that enjoyed its major successes, with the FA Cup, Uefa Cup and Worthington Cup won in 2001.

Houllier also won the Worthington Cup in 2003 with a 2-0 win against Manchester United, but he has been the subject of fierce criticism this season.

Liverpool have yet to formally start the search for his successor, with the Anfield hierarchy determined to avoid getting into a long-running saga of the kind which has engulfed Chelsea.

YES!! He is going!! Whats everyone reaction to this great news!

I don't really give a damn about Liverpool, but I do think it is good he leaves. Liverpool hardly won anything in the last couple of years, it's time for a change.

YES!! He is going!! Whats everyone reaction to this great news!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh i've been waiting for this for years!!!

Best thing to happen to liverpool in years; selling heskey and sacking houlier. :yes:

Yeah, very glad he's going. He did well at first, but he became too stubborn and inflexible after his heart trouble and he can't movitate anyone. I actually think Heskey could have been a 20 goal a season striker with a good motivator behind him ... not that I'm sorry to see him go either.

For replacements - well, Martin O'Niell doesn't seem interested. Alan Curbishly has done wonders with Charlton but he's unproven at this level. It looked like Morinho is going to Chelsea, although that's not as certain as it appeared to be a week or two ago, it could be Deschamps for them. I'd be happy with whichever of those doesn't go to Chelsea, but the one I really want is the Valencia coach, Benitez.

I expect he'll stay in some role. He did well with France as some sort of technical director or youth program director or something like that. I'd be happy with that.

I see Real Madrid have a midday press-conference today too. Looks like Queiroz is getting the blame for their end of season collapse, no surprise as the chairman has an election to win. God I hate PLC football teams.

EDIT: There is no actual proof that the press conference isn't to annouce the signing of Cisse or something like that.

Edited by Quboid

It looks confirmed now. Sky News have said it's official and it's on the official LFC site. I can't be too happy, but I'm nothing like as saddened as I was when Roy Eans left - Roy was a crap manager but such a huge fan, it broke his heart to resign.

Why are 2 Yorkshire people caring about Liverpool FC? Support a Yorkshire club - Bradford City could do with your help at the moment http://www.bcst.co.uk

Lol! I'm @ Uni here in Sheffield

Liverpool :yes: the greatest team in the world