Annoying error on right click

Hi, was wondering if any of you had encountered this problem before in XP. When right clicking on a shortcut, or folder etc for the first time after a reboot, I get a little error dialog box which says:

"failed to load resource dll"

I've done quite a few Google searches and have found similar problems but no-one has a solution :no:

Any ideas out there?

Edited by Adster01

Well, of course that is going to fix the problem, but it is hardly a solution.

I have done a repair installation, but the problem still exists.

tried system restore?

reinstall the mouse drivers?

could be a registry problem somewhere :unsure:

*looked on google*

you recently installed any norton stuff?

Nah, the only norton stuff I have is NAV2004, but its been on there for ages...

I'm thinking it is also some sort of registry problem. Would love to find out where the registry keys are for the stuff that comes up in the menu when you right click on something.

I have a feeling that it is WS_FTP that is causing the problem as there are a couple of dll's that remain in Program Files that I cannot delete.

Will try to get rid of them on the next reboot.

i used to have that same problem, but i never got this far into the registry, i had to format eventually.. but thanks for this post.

I have similar program, but it is mainly due to nVidia driver being silly. I think their newest GeForce driver is bloated.

It could be an nvidia issue, as they have added stuff to the right click desktop menu.

Well you will all be happy to know I fixed it.

Turns out WS_FTP adds something to the right click context menu. I had uninstalled this program, but it left a folder full of DLL's in Program Files (which I couldn't delete).

Restarted to safe mode, command prompt. Deleted the DLL's and no longer have the problem!

:D