Fedora Core 2 By A Beginner

This is my review of the lastest version of Fedora Core 2 (Linux). I am pretty much a complete beginner when it comes to this, so i thought a beginners view would be a good place to start for a review for beginners ;). I think linux needs to be more user friendly to open up its potential market share (i know some die hards think this is 'selling out') and i think i beginners opinion is a good way to start. I'll just finish this introduction with the fact i am extremely competent with windows and spend most of my time on neowin helping out in hardware so please no n00b flames, your kind are welcome on other boards.

The Review - Sorry, its long!

After installing various Mandrake distributions since 9.0 released (last year) as a dual boot with my Windows XP partition I decided to broaden my horizons. Don?t let this fool you, I?m a lazy geek and so, when Linux used to annoy me I?d go back to windows. This means that I?ll on average use Linux for about half an hour a week when I?m bored.

I?ve stuck with Mandrake as the setup is so beginner friendly, I had Linux booting in one attempt at an install on my first ever dabble with Linux and I thought this particularly amazing. During one of my bored weekends I tried RedHat 9.0 (the last RedHat before it became the Fedora Core project) and didn?t find it as easy to get on with as Mandrake, it had less bundled apps and a less beginner friendly install (no auto disk partitioning). As I can barely install any Linux apps without using the Mandrake installer which installs things automatically (the complexity of installing applications is Linux?s main downfall in my opinion, if it was easier I think it?d be my OS of choice by now) I didn?t feel comfortable with the Spartan setup of RedHat. So, I moved back to Mandrake 10.0 when it was released a month or so back. I had major problems with the sound drivers conflicting with my sound card and xmms (the mp3 player) would lock up as well each time I opened it (even after fresh installs of Mandrake and xmms upgrades) so I decided when I read Fedora Core 2 was out to give it a go.

I downloaded the DVD off bittorrent, it took a days downloading and was burned just before I went to bed. The next morning, I booted up the DVD. It was noticeably better looking installation than RH9, in fact the entire OS is the most visually pleasing distro I have seen.

The Installation was painless, used the auto partition function to remove my Mandrake Partitions and replace them with Fresh fedora Core ones. All the usual options where available and I found it easier and quicker than a windows installation. It was even more dummy proof than the Windows XP installation with a lot of ?idiot? text on the left with directions on exactly what everything does described in detail which really shames Windows (isn?t it supposed to be the OS for dummies?).

http://www.blaise.us'>http://www.blaise.us/storage'>http://www.blaise.us'>http://www.blaise.us/storageThe Dual-Boot screen you are presented with each time you boot your pc, note - much better looking than windows OS loaderthan windows OS loader

So, it reboots and I get the usual GRUB (dual-boot controller) screen asking me whether I want to boot Windows or Fedora. I select Fedora and am very pleasantly surprised by the boot screen. Although it takes longer than XP to boot on my machine (AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz, 512mb etc...) it looks simply superb, in fact, it looks so very professional I want to put it on a laptop and sit in an airport watching it load all day so people can walk past and go ?wow?. Well, maybe not that far but it is delightfully good. When the logon screen arrives again its nicely done, it could use the user selecting feature (like the XP logon screen) than Mandrake has but it?ll do. The clean lines and unclutteredness is welcome but could maybe use a little more detail.

http://www.blaise.us'>http://www.blaise.usThe Bootscreen, uses 16/32bit colour as opposed to XP's 16 colours (back to windows 3.1?), from what you can make out doesnt it look lovely?e out doesnt it look lovely?

http://www.blaise.uThe clean looking logon screen as described.g logon screen as described.

Well, so far, we?ve booted to the desktop with little or no knowledge of Linux. Isn?t this great? ?Hmm? maybe? Where?s my windows hard disk? Where?s mplayer?

Okay, these setbacks may be minor to a Linux jockey, yes there is an easily available NTFS (Windows XP hard disk) reader for Linux and mplayer is easily downloaded and installed. However, to a newbie like me, installing it will be a nightmare, I still can?t even install Firefox (it has mozilla which is okay, but I?d prefer Firefox), however I did manage mplayer.

http:/So we have desktop (woot), looks nice, maybe a little cluttered taskbar but it'll do. Gnome is the default GUI.r but it'll do. Gnome is the default GUI.

So, what do we get out of the box without any leg work to install? Well, at boot (so long as you checked the options) we get loads of time wasting games (like solitaire, Tetris etc but with five times more), a decent web browser and LAN set up for surfing straight away, all the drivers installed, open office and pretty much every program you could need for day to day stuff. Its complex things like encoding programs that an everyday user will not need Fedora lacks. As mentioned, they are available but for beginners installing them this is a ropey issue. Linux is not a double click solution, you usually have to go back to the command prompt to install programs and referring to a guide (in beginners case) from the internet.

In summary, there is every reason to try Linux, you can run it easily alongside windows (its not complicated to set up, Linux does it all automatically) and all it will do to your system is use about 5GB of your hard disk (minimum for beginners). Linux is still far from beginner friendly once you?re in and working but its getting better (if not more Windows like after each new release). There has never been a better time or OS to start broadening your horizons. However do heed this warning, once installed; getting Linux to work can consume entire evenings while you consume much coffee.

That?s pretty much my guide from the eyes of a novice, corrections will be welcomed, you can email me at gregcase1@yahoo.co.uk with any questions, further pics or etc. Apologie;)for the pics, its hard to screen print a bootscreen ;).

\EDIT - I recieved this today courtesy of Rick Fennimore (r_fennimore2001 (at) yahoo (dot) ca)

Just a few things you might want to know about installing things easily with Fedora Core.

First, go here: http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

Fedora comes with YUM (an update manager), but Debian's APT is better (in my opinion). So, download this package for Fedora Core 2:

http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/...r.11.2.i386.rpm

Put it in your /home/your user name folder

go to a terminal window, and type: su

hit enter and then give the 'root' password. hit enter again.

Go to the folder where you stored that file you just downloaded by typing the following:

cd /home/your user name

hit enter

Type: rpm -ivh (just type in apt and hit the TAB key, and it will fill in the rest of the file name). Hit enter. It should install the APT package. As APT is a command line utility, you'll want the graphical front end to make things easy, so download the program "Synaptic" here:

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/synaptic/sy...c2.dag.i386.rpm

Same thing again. Download the package to your home folder. Go to a terminal window, make sure you're logged in as 'root' by using the su command, and type: rpm -ivh (then just type the first few letters of the package, i.e. syn, and the tab key, which will fill in the rest of the file name for you). Hit enter and it will install the Synaptic program.

Now you can use the graphical program Synaptic to load, unload, and update packages and even upgrade the complete OS!

By default, APT uses Fedora repositories. Due to licensing and US software patent issues, Fedora does not come with Mplayer or Xmms-MP3 (for example). If you want to be able to download and use programs like this, you must make a few changes. You can find them here:

http://rpm.livna.org/

Edited by Tyler Durden

Excellent review. I've been always of thinking about trying out Fedora, but I realize the bulk of programs I use will always stay in WindowsXP.

Can you explain what each icon along the lower left along the bar are, and do? Thx.

no problem, the hat is the menu (like the start menu but better organised - instead of having separate company groups it has groups like offic programs, system tools, games, etc...).

the world with a mouse is mozilla web browser

the envelope is email

the next three are open office apps, word, chart and excel variants

the final one (most right) is printers.

linux is quite intutative, i'd highly recommend you try it. you must first however resize you partitions so you have space for linux (i have 8GB myself but 5 should do). i used to use partition magic, its a simple job, then just download the cd/dvd image, burn and install.

Install Apt and Synaptic if you want to be able to install applications with ease. The only problem I have is getting DVD playback to work. Both Totem and MPlayer screw up all the time... gotta dig some deeper into that.

yum is really good at installing stuff and upgrading as well, I suggest using that with a modded host file for faster download speeds ... can't remember where I put the file so .... just google for a yum host file you'll find it

im not sure about how many discs, i know theres four, you usually need 3 on other linux versions. ask in the unix, linux forum on neowin, they'll answer your question ;)

Pretty good review of the install from a noob point of view.

Linux is really evolving (and improving) fast! Maybe this review will take some of the intimidation out

of the install, and more people will see for themselves if they like it or not. (Y)

[EDIT: You might want new screenies of your first few images! :laugh: There is a way to get

an image dumped to a file during boot, but I forget how...]

Just a heads up...

Fedora Core 2/Windows XP Dual Boot: There's an ongoing lengthy bitchfest on Slashdot about Fedora supposedly destroying the MBR. I have performed two Dual-Boot installs on varying hardware without a hitch. Destroy all partitions, create the Windows partitions. Install Windows XP. Create the Linux Partitions (/boot (101MB), Swap (Double your Ram), / (Whatever is left). You can make additional partitions for linux if you want. /home is basically the same thing as Documents and Settings (in essense).

SELinux Extensions: Don't bother just yet. Even the developers warn not to turn them on just yet. There's a good tutorial on how to get it up and running but you'll find weird bugs like Gnome-settings-daemon failing, having to Su Root from Root, etc. Its not worth it yet, let them fix it.

Firewire Support: Its turned off. The new 2.6 kernel has horrible support for Firewire and instead of frying everyone's motherboard to cinders, Fedora developers have disabled them. Sorry, its not their fault the kernel isn't up to snuff yet.

SSH (Secure Shell): Secure Shell into your Linux box if you have an additional machine for random maintainence. With the user logged off the actual physical box, you save resources. No need to login and start Gnome/KDE if all you're doing is a pure text operation. Plus, its fun to go into console. Trust me, it will grow on you. GUI - Girly User Interface :laugh:

Secondly, SSH over Telnet. Its a hell of a lot more secure. Also, search online on how to set SSH to Protocol 2 only and how to disable Root access. Just like Window's Administrator account, you don't want to be logged into Root all the time, nor do you want it wide open to... "h4x0rz"

Firewall? Sure. Its nice and you can still punchholes in it for the daily server activity (if you really want a Linux experience!) by just clicking check boxes.

I'm currently still working to bring MyFedora.com online as a collaborative source of various tips and tricks and news. Currently, I'm using a mixture of Fedoranews.org, Fedorazine.com, and the developer mailing-list from Fedora to keep track.

Right now, some software will have issues. This is because the libraries (librpm for example) are updated. Now don't go off half-cocked like some of the posters on /. and scream. This is just as if someone offered you Windows 2000 when you're currently running DOS 6.22. Its not going to be a perfect migration. :pinch: You just might have to wait for vendors/developers to update their programs.

Windows Applications: Now, the good news and bad news. Most Windows apps currently have Linux alternatives, and a quick google search will prove it. But, like some, I'm still tied to key applications. Photoshop 7 for one. I know there is gimp but I love Photoshop. A *non-free* solution is CrossOver Office from CodeWeavers. I've used this at my place of employment with Office XP and Photoshop 7 without any problems. The only application I had issues with was MS Access, but even CodeWeavers says Access and Outlook have problems. But don't worry about Outlook, Evolution (the default mail client) wipes the floor with Outlook. RSS feeds right in the front page! w00t!

Instant Messengers: GAIM. Gaim is great and they've done massive improvements. Don't et the W32 client of GAIM fool you, Gaim on linux is like Candy Sprinkles on a donut....mmm... donut.... ....

Sorry.. An alternative is you have CrossOver office? ...... TRILLIAN! That's right folks! Trillain works flawlessly under CrossOver Office. You might be able to get it to run directly under WinE, but CrossOver Office does some snazzy configs on WinE to make it usefull.

Welp, I've got 5 minutes to get off this PC and go home... IF you have any questions or comments, let me know. Just EMAIL(admin(at)myfedora.com)/IM (xovidarox@hotmail.com MSN)/Reply to this post.

Good luck and VIVA LA FEDORA!

Top information, sounds like something that is worth giving a go. However ive been bitten in the past with mandrake and downloading the iso's. For some reason most were corrupt at disk 2 leaving my pc in a mangled state.

Does fedora install a bootloader or am I better off finding something better to manage that side of things?

Does fedora install a bootloader or am I better off finding something better to manage that side of things?

All versions will optionally install a bootloader.

And all of them give you your choice of where to put it.

And, if you really want, you can use your Windows C:\boot.ini file to manage your dual-boot.

I'd skip letting the NTLDR handle the bootloading. Fedora, by default, uses Grub. During the install it'll show two entries "Other" and "Fedora Linux". "Other" is where its detected your Windows XP installation. You can even rename it. Once you reboot, you'll see the pretty grub screen w/ the two options. Grub is pretty nice and I've yet to have problems with it.

I haven't used Mandrake in a long time, but Fedora, out of the box (notice a trend?) will offer a chance to verify your CD's prior to installing. You can skip the media check, but as you can see, do it at least once. Better to burn a coaster instead of installation corruption.

Another excellent review in this forum! (Y)

As soon as I can download Fedora Core 2 I will, perhaps it's time to give my computer a new lease of life with Linux.

I have Core 2 installed now for a couple of days and I must say that I really like it. It does miss some features like MP3 playback, NTFS (read) support and DVD playback.... which is kinda annoying.

Getting XMMS to play MP3 is quite easy, but getting Rhythmbox to play MP3 is a bit of a puzzle, took me quite some time to resolve all the nescessary dependencies to make Rhythmbox play my MP3 files (hint: install gstreamer-universe with APT).

DVD Playback is not really good in Linux either, some DVDs I have (The Italian Job for example) just don't play.... all players (Xine, MPlayer, Totem) choke on it. Windows is better for that.

NTFS support is quite easy to enable, just install an RPM and edit some file and you're done (though if you have an Athlon it can be a bit of a problem, but since yesterday the RPMs are updated and it should work fine now). Very handy if you dualboot with Windows, at least you can access your music and video collection that way.

All in all, Fedora is great if you get it set up correctly. The only problem I have with it is that the GUI isn't as snappy as Windows is. In Windows everything feels instantly where in Linux I often have the feeling that it is just a tad slower.

Linux, with the release of Fedora Core 2 and Mandrake 10, has come a long way as a desktop OS, but it also still has a long way to go. It is nice to see they are making some great progress!

can i have a non dvd version of this :) as i dont have a dvd writer thank you

the top listing in the table... Official Fedora Core 2 FINAL binary iso images for i386. is the cd images it's just listed as one torrent file

[EDIT: You might want new screenies of your first few images! :laugh: There is a way to get

an image dumped to a file during boot, but I forget how...]

anyone know how to do this? i read about it once in a review but i forgot?