Can't install SW: Knights of the Old Republic

I'm having a problem installing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It gets to 58% after it asks me for disk 2, then it stops on installing /steammusic\03a.wav and gives me this error:

Component transfer error

Component: Cabs US

File Group: SWCABS.US

File: H:\data3.cab

Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Then it gives me an error that setup.exe has crashed when I insert disk 1 like it asks.

Sounds like you got a bad disc - it's happened to me plenty of times, 'cause I used to work in a used video game store. I'd take the whole thing back to your retailer and exchange it - they're very forgiving with damaged discs, as long as you kept your receipt ;)

Is the disk scratched?

The "cyclic redundancy check" certainly sounds like an error the CD drive gives when it can't read data (that's what happened when one of my CD's was corrupted, at least). I would suggest returning the game for an exchange, as the disc is probably bad.

this is a commom problem with people with copys, buy the game!

I did buy the game. Quick to judge, or just trolling? :whistle:

Thanks to your fast responses I was able to go down to Frys tonight and got an exchange right away. It's installed now and I'm off to play it. I hope it is the kind of game everyone says it is. Thanks Neowin.

Dont worry it is a great game and its enjoyable even if your not into star wars. Hk-47 best character!!!!!(love his comments).

Dont worry it is a great game and its enjoyable even if your not into star wars. Hk-47 best character!!!!!(love his comments).

Thanks, I have never been a fan of Star Wars, I asked in another thread and everyone said it was a great game. I finished my first Star Wars game a few weeks ago, Jedi Academy. I bought it when it came out but never got into it, now I'm addicted. I just finished watching the whole Star Wars series today and can't wait to play KotOR.

good, that your problem is solved, but i didn't lied, but that problem is very common for people with warez, but if you got retail copy, then thats good.

and the game is very enjoyable, i hate star wars, out of all the star wars movies, i seen a total of 20-30 minutes, it just doesn't intrest me, reason i started playing the game was, i was done with NWN, and KOTOR was made by the same company so i just played because i wanted a good RPG, and it was well worth it. and about HK-47 be careful, his stupid comments can get you in some un-nessesary battles

this is a commom problem with people with copys, buy the game!

even people who did buy their games have problems like this, so let's not jump to conclusions, eh? :)

anyway, i say return it to your store and they'll be happy to replace it, given that you didn't scratch it yourself. or you could ring up the manufacturers and send it to them.

ps. have you tried using a cd-scanning program to see the condition of the disc?

Jason, I said thanks to the people that helped me, I went to the store right away and got it replaced. I bought it today so it was no problem. Started to play it, but I'll leave that to another thread. :)

even people who did buy their games have problems like this, so let's not jump to conclusions, eh? :)

i know

but bout 80% of those problems are warez

Now I'm having another problem. I can't load my saved game. I updated the game before I even started and when I click on my game it stays there loaded at 1/3rd of the bar. I can only join the auto save. I joined the auto save and deleted my saved game file and tried again, same issue. What is wrong now? :( I was able to load the saved game once, now I can't...

i know

but bout 80% of those problems are warez

you know that some brands of cd drives just cant read some forms of protection even if you buy the game.

Also, for some reason after I can't leave the apartment. When I try to leave his face doesn't appear on the party menu (It did before) and his text says "I'm so very broken" and when I press add the game freezes.

you know that some brands of cd drives just cant read some forms of protection even if you buy the game.

that doesn't affect installation

looks like the prob is in your computer

No, It was the disk. I installed the game and update fine after I returned the disks and got an exchange, but now saved games don't work. :(

I can't play any more. Can't load my saved game files. It happened before and I had to reinstall. I am two hours into the game (Never played before or this kind of style ad taking my time.) If I keep having to do this I'll never finish. Saved game won't load past 1/3rd of the bar and autosave must be messed up too, I save from the autosave and it does the same thing. :( My backup save doesn't work either, and the first thing I did when I bought the game was update.
From BioWare forums:
I bought the game yesterday and patched it right away. I installed it and everything went well until I saved the game, left, came back then left again after a period of 25 minutes, then the game would no longer allow me to load saved games, it would load 1/3rd of the way then just stop and freeze. I loaded the auto save and when I got to the apartment on the world you crash on and I tried to leave it would ask me to select a party member, when I selected where his face should have been (It worked before so I knew) it said "I'm broken, so broken" and it showed no face. I pressed 'ok' and it crashed the game. I tried deleting the saved games and trying again and it still kept doing this

I wasn't far into the game, so I reinstalled it and played through again. Everything was working fine until just a few minutes ago, I tried to load my saved game and it will load the bar 1/3rd of the way and won't let me load either my main saved game or my backup saved game, it will only allow me to load the auto which is almost an hour behind. I've tried restarting the computer and it doesn't help.

I don't know what is going on, I can't keep playing over and over and never be able to go anywhere.

I would load my details, but when I try to include them in my message it says: Could Not Submit: Message contains word with too many characters without a space. Please check your message

Yes, before I even started the game I upgraded. I was able to fix it by messing with the graphic settings, it just happened again and now the graphic settings don't do anything. I don't know if messing with the settings fixed it or it was some other kind of weird fluke.

Edit: I just tried something else and it worked, I'll have to try it again when it happens again to see if it is what fixed it. I pressed 'New Game' then canceled and it loaded the save game fine.