Youngest planet ever found is 1 mil. years old

One of NASA's space telescopes has discovered what scientists believe may be the youngest planet ever spied -- a celestial body that at 1 million years old or less is a cosmic toddler.

In findings announced Thursday, the Spitzer Space Telescope also has shown that protostars, or developing stars, ''are as common as the cicadas in the trees here on the East Coast'' and that the planetary construction zones around infant stars have ice that could produce future oceans.

''Oh, my goodness, it knocked our socks off,'' University of Wisconsin astronomer Ed Churchwell said of the discoveries. AP

Link

More Links

okay. planet. so really dude - what is the big deal - I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know...

okay. planet. so really dude - what is the big deal - I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know...

it means Bush will want to head to it next to find more Oil :rofl:

it means Bush will want to head to it next to find more Oil      :rofl:

that's funny, cause all the oil bush got from Iraq really made those gas prices go down :rolleyes:

<fundamentalist> BS! The Universe is only 6000 years old! If it aint in the bible, it aint science! </fundamentalist>

Interesting. I'm sure more will be discovered as time goes on.

Well, when you look at the history of the earth, 1 million years is nothing. The knowledge that planets can form and exist as a separate entity at such a young age brings insight into the possibilities of the formation of the universe. Also, look at the many millions of galaxies we see form all the time. They are so far away that the planets are probably there, developed, and may have had time for life to form by now. The age at which a planet evolves has just been shortened.