Firewire or 100MB NIC

When I get my new laptop (sometime in April) and I want to transfer files back and forth to my PC. Which would be faster a 100MB full duplex network transfer or a firewire transfer?:)

firewire would be faster but USB 2.0 would be even better!

Full Duplex = 200Mbits/s

Firewire = 400Mbits/s

USB 2.0 = 480Mbits/s

so Firewire would be the best option out of the 2 options that you stated but USB 2.0 is a lil better!!

I say go with whatever's cheaper, unless you're transferring HUGE files and you need to transfer them FAST. If you use USB you need a special host cable, with Ethernet all you need is a cheap ethernet cable.

there are tons of USB 2.0 devices out... from IDE drives to CDRWs and everything else... and yes.. it's backwards compatible.

Everyone above this is wrong; ignore them.

Lets say you have 2 computers, both with say, 20 gb ata100 ibm hard disk drivers.

You move a file from one computer to another. You will never, never, never, never, ever see it max out at 100Mb/s. Why you ask? Good question.

Unless your computers are both using RAID configurations, you aren't going to max your connection. And don't tell me ATA133 will, because it doesn't.

Btw, Full duplex isn't "200Mb/s". Full duplex means you can send and recieve at the same time. (So you can send at 100Mbps and recieve at 100Mbps).