Zone Labs Not So Bad

Question

DoubleJ

Well, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't get the email myself, but after beta testing ZAP3, Zone Labs actually sent me a single user license for the newly released version 3. I though for sure I'd have to use less dignified means to get the current version, but they suprised me. Way to go Zone Labs.

P.S.- No flames for using ZAP. Maybe it uses resources. Maybe it is less feature filled than some other firewalls. Maybe its tracking everything I'm doing and giving it to good old Billy Boy. I don't care. Its easy and no fuss. I'm no n00b, I'm just lazy:) Plus, it was free and is, quite literally, the only non freeware, legit piece of software on my computer.:evil: ;)

3 answers to this question

cub-x

Take a look at Tiny Personal Firewall, freeware and very easy.. Also ICSA certified and works at a damn low level. Plus, they have some more experience with firewalls due to the excellent WinRoute Pro router/firewall.

jjypk

Tiny Personal Firewall isn't a very secure firewall either because it has many vunrabilities such as not being able to block TCP pings.

www.kerio.com has taken over Winroute/Winroute pro and they're no longer part of TinySoftware. If you want a firewall which has 98% similar interface to TPF, then I recommend you download and use Kerio Personal Firewall.

Its free for personal/non-commercial use. Buisness users have to pay before 30 days of evaluating the firewall.

I don't know if KPF is ICSA Certified or not...

cub-x

I think you're a little under-educated about TPF.

It DOES block TCP pings.. But in official protocol terms it is call ICMP packets.

And you are able to configure TPF/KPF to block incoming or outgoing ICMP packets..

KPF is TPF... It was announced on their site a couple of months ago. It has exactly the same core as TPF and is therefore also ICSA certified.

(also; I still call it TPF because I use it for already 2 years, including sending the log to a syslogd, where I log the blocked incoming ICMP packets (ping) )