How to speed up my cable.

Originally posted by sedative

use your phone.

call your cable company and order more bandwidth. :D

none of those tweaking progs will noticably enhance your speed.

You obviously do not know anything about tweaking.

Go to www.dslreports.com and download DRTCP, then read the tweaking FAQ to correctly set your max RWIN.

like i said...

none of those tweaking progs will noticably enhance your speed.

believe me, i've tried them all. what i meant by the above statement is he's not going to go from downloading at 100KB/s to 150 or 200KB/s. it won't be a significant increase.

Changing my RWIN and the setting changes required to do so took me from ~1300/250 to ~2700/285 resulting in a max download of about 340 KB/S from a previous max download of about 140 KB/S.

So yes, these settings can make a major difference.

Changing my RWIN and the setting changes required to do so took me from ~1300/250 to ~2700/285 resulting in a max download of about 340 KB/S from a previous max download of about 140 KB/S.

wow, amazing

can you tell us a secret

:evil:

Cable/xDSL speed tweaks are only really effective if you have an uncapped plan. For example if you are on a 512/128 plan, there is no way to make it go faster than 512/128. This sort of capping is controlled by the ISP.

http://www.speedguide.net is a good site for speed tweaks and broadband info.

dude your speed doubled by changing your rwin settings?? give me a break.

*arsekicker wakes up now

u must have a sucky :ermm: computer cuz i tried one cable modem enhancer and it works wonders. b4 i download at 80 kb now i download at 100 - 160 kb :D

dude your speed doubled by changing your rwin settings?? give me a break.

*arsekicker wakes up now

Just because you didn't read the FAQ on dslreports, didn't implement it properly, or it just didn't work for your (of which there are tons of reasons it may not have) doesn't mean that it didn't work for me and that it won't work for him. I'll give you a break and assume that you are just temporarily ignorant instead of being someone stupid enough to question the integrity of both myself and my previous post as there is lack of sufficient motivation for me to fabricate my upload and download speeds.

Originally posted by xper

wow, amazing

can you tell as a secret

:evil:

The basic formula is to take your average ping (since dr.ping wasn't working i just used the one on the tweak test) multiply it times 1.5 multiply that by your purchased bandwidth (i.e. 768, 1500, 3000) and divide by 8.

(1.5 x average ping x bandwidth) / 8

I found it works best if you take your final number and make sure it is a multiple of your MSS (mine is 1460, this is different from MTU), you can find your MSS by using the TWEAK TEST.

You can adjust the RWIN and the necessary settings to do so in the registry, but it's much easier with DRTCP.

More information and documentation of increases similar and much higher to mine can all be found at www.dslreports.com.

Heh. The only time you would see a significant speed increase by changing your RWIN/internet settings in general is if you:

1. Are on windows 98

2. Seriously messed with your registry in winnt 5.x

A clean install of xp home edition worked fine with my cable. Changing RWIN/etc values didn't give me a noticeable increase at all.

If you seriously want to (try) increase your cable speed, a call to your provider is your best bet.

Its a myth that you can uncapp your modem. Years ago you could but everything is ran at your head unit of your ISP. This can no longer be done.

Changing your RWIN values will give you some increase, say about 1kb/s to 10kb/s but it again depends on the network traffic that your on, the webserver your downloading. You can download something from a server and then redownload the same file and it be faster. This doesnt mean your speed has increased. Just as doing those speed test on dslreports.com never gives you and true reading. Just a base reading.

I promise you sir that you are mistaken and your wanting to feel cool or important, there is no possible way by changing you RWIN values you have increased your "DOWNLOAD" speed. I would highly suggest you do some more research on this topic and try again. I work at a ISP and have 3 PC running a 24/7 server. I have tweaked every OS out there, had ever connection availble at my home and have been on the dslreports for awhile. IT DOES NOT WORK. Those programs are generic and the lazy way to change values BTW......learn more about computers and change them yourself, But please reframe from posting bull****!

-cjhenry

IF you read my post correctly you should be aware that I am not uncapping my modem and I agree that cannot be done. RWIN has nothing to do with uncapping a modem. It sets the maximum receive window. DRTCP just changes the registry settings for you it doesn't have a set of preconfigured values, so yes dumbass if you read my post you'll realize that I did research the values that I plugged in for RWIN, MTU, TIMESTAMPING, SELECTIVE/MULTIPLE ACKS etc. I realize that my download speed is affected by network traffic, but it is also affected by RWIN and these other settings. If you already have 80% or so of your possible (capped bandwidth) then you aren't going to see much of an increase. But getting 1400 out of 3000 is nowhere near 80%. The fact that you work for a cable company, probably installing cable modems, doesn't make you a f****** genius. If you have a position higher up I hope your employer wises up.

Learn how to spell and use grammar as your post reflects a poor grasp of these concepts. You also might want to try not using vague terms such as base reading and true reading as I could infer a variety of different meanings from each of those terms.

For those of you who still agree with this incompetent moron go to dslreports and check out the forums, posts, faqs, and articles and you'll find my increase in download speed is not some anomaly. It also is not due to a corrupted registry as every time I have reinstalled my OS (XP) before setting the values in DRTCP I get results similar to those that I had before applying the tweaks.

:rambo:

Originally posted by cjhenry

Its a myth that you can uncapp your modem. Years ago you could but everything is ran at your head unit of your ISP. This can no longer be done.

Changing your RWIN values will give you some increase, say about 1kb/s to 10kb/s but it again depends on the network traffic that your on, the webserver your downloading. You can download something from a server and then redownload the same file and it be faster. This doesnt mean your speed has increased. Just as doing those speed test on dslreports.com never gives you and true reading. Just a base reading.

I promise you sir that you are mistaken and your wanting to feel cool or important, there is no possible way by changing you RWIN values you have increased your "DOWNLOAD" speed. I would highly suggest you do some more research on this topic and try again. I work at a ISP and have 3 PC running a 24/7 server. I have tweaked every OS out there, had ever connection availble at my home and have been on the dslreports for awhile. IT DOES NOT WORK. Those programs are generic and the lazy way to change values BTW......learn more about computers and change them yourself, But please reframe from posting bull****!

-cjhenry

ok then... Mr. Know it all :right:. explain why can i only download 40 mb in 10 minutes now in 7 - 8 minutes and i tried it on links i never tried b4???? explain that?!? :right: