osx doesn't have cdkey?

Well, Windows runs only on x86 hardware, so your explanation doesn't hold up. And the majority of vendors sell computers with Windows preinstalled anyway. Remember also that you can install Linux on a Mac, there are a lot of distros for PPC.

And there is a good reason for someone to pirate OS X: to obtain a new version of the OS without paying it.

Just like in the Windows Warez World ;)

What I meant to say is whenever you buy a Mac the OS is already there, so there's no point of getting another copy of the OS unless it's a newer OS than the one you already have. Oh well, there goes a reason to pirate OSX :p

I think the main reason OSX doesn't have cdkey because it will only run on Macs, and whenever you buy a Mac from Apple it comes with the OS anyway. Mac isn't like PC where you can just build one yourself or buy an system from vender with no OS installed. Only Apple sells Mac and OS is already preinstalled. So there isn't likely a reason for someone to pirate OSX?

Apple releases a new OS (or has anyway) every year or two at most. The OS tends to get faster and more feature complete with every release.

That's reason enough for many mac users to pirate the OS.

Having no CD Key is really nice. If I was going to steal it I'd steal it with or without CD Key or Activation or any retarded anti-piracy technologies they decided to use.

my favourite case is we have this cad software at school. now you have to have a cdkey for each computer, which is fine because it probably retails for about $20. only problem is that evrytime it boots it uses some magical broadcast packet to deactivate any other computer using that cdkey. so when one person actidently gets the broadcast packet of their own cdkey... BAM!! this chain reaction starts, sending all the computers back to demo mode where you can't save :D

load of fun when you're working to a deadline!

however, some pricacy protection does work. the only piece of software i havent been able to crack was maya unlimited. it retails for 7 grand.

Mmm maya unlimited is cracked I believe... because I've personally tested it :whistle:

... another piece of software that has extremely strong anti-piracy is a 3D-CAD program called Cobalt. it required the permanent installation of a specific PCI card in order to run. it retails for roughly the same as maya too ...

That is the way most good music making software is (ie. Protools, you need a card or there rack to use it).

Retail for $20 and has that kind of anti-piracy mechnism? Wow impressive piece of software...

I think what he means is it is worthless software. Probably expensive but worthless to use.

Edited by Jstphish

,May 29 2004, 21:32] For a change people that pirate and therefore steal software should try buying just one title, it's actually quite satisfying and moral.

My dad gets a really good deal out of Microsoft. Because he's a partner, he only has to pay $300 to get an Action Pack full of about $5,000+ worth of their software. Then of course we buy Adobe Creative Suite, Macromedia MX Studio 2004, etc. I try to buy everything I own.

Mmm maya unlimited is cracked I believe... because I've personally tested it :whistle:

i was running ME at the time so that probably played a huge role in not being able to get it right.

"to crack maya click OK"

-clicks OK

"you have performed an illegal operation, windows will now reformat."

-noooo.

photoshop is outrageously expensive if used for personal uses and not for your job.

thats probably why adobe has "adobe photoshop elements" its way more affordable. and i do think one of the most pirated programs in the world is photoshop, it seems everyone has it even if they only use it once in a blue moon.

thats probably why adobe has "adobe photoshop elements" its way more affordable. and i do think one of the most pirated programs in the world is photoshop, it seems everyone has it even if they only use it once in a blue moon.

I have Photoshop Elements 2.0. I laugh at the person who pirates that, lol

i was running ME at the time so that probably played a huge role in not being able to get it right.

"to crack maya click OK"

-clicks OK

"you have performed an illegal operation, windows will now reformat."

-noooo.

lol i guess windows really caught you in the act this time. :rofl:

...when did this thread became "look how good I am at cracking software"?!?  :huh:

since someone jumped in and showed off how he could of cracked software as long as he desired to ;)

since someone jumped in and showed off how he could of cracked software as long as he desired to;);)

was that me? i was just pointing out that there were prgs like cobalt that are nearl imossible to crack. someone said that it is futile to attempt to stop crackers, i wanted to prove em wrong.

was that me? i was just pointing out that there were prgs like cobalt that are nearl imossible to crack. someone said that it is futile to attempt to stop crackers, i wanted to prove em wrong.

i was just bugging :laugh: unless you admit it was ya ;)

lol i guess windows really caught you in the act this time. :rofl:

lol i didnt even mean illegal operation as illegal, just the ussual ME error message. maybe microsoft included built in anti-piracy measures into ME?

apple makes it easy but when u think about is there point in putting all this activation and stuff into software? if someone will do it, they will. they will go to any extent to get it. and anyways, mac os x isn't all that expensive so theres not much point to put alotta protection.

129 isnt much is the scheme of software costs in this day and age.

i think that high costs for software is very hard to swallow for me...esp 5k+ kind of costs.

^true, maya is way more expensive than OSX and office vx is like 400 dollars i believe. but windows is still cheaper and its its only competition so OSX is relatively expensive, though not much. maintenance however (the yearly upgrade) is quite costly.

BTW: w00t im at 74percent completed 10.3 in pear pc. im only using the first CD to install. what is on the second and third ones? i only have them partially downloaded but if there is anything worthwhile on them i will install them on.

^true, maya is way more expensive than OSX and office vx is like 400 dollars i believe. but windows is still cheaper and its its only competition so OSX is relatively expensive, though not much. maintenance however (the yearly upgrade) is quite costly.

Windows XP Pro $265

Microsoft Windows XP Home $176

Mac OS X 10.3 $109.

Nobody forces you to buy Mac OS X upgrades every year, an estimated 30% of Macintosh users are still on OS 9.2.2.

BTW: w00t im at 74percent completed 10.3 in pear pc. im only using the first CD to install. what is on the second and third ones? i only have them partially downloaded but if there is anything worthwhile on them i will install them on.

How about you not ask for help pirating software around these parts.