Changing the Build number in winver.

I read a while ago somewhere that you can change the build number displayed in 'winver' from build 2600.xpclient.... to just Build 2600. I found the line in the registry and changed it, it worked great, but it seems to change back to the original soon after. Is there something else i need to do?

Cheers

You could create a .reg file to change it on startup. There is a command line switch I think that does it without asking if you wish to add the info to the registry but I don't remember it.

Why is this such a big deal anyway?

Originally posted by Robert_Hague  

I read a while ago somewhere that you can change the build number displayed in 'winver' from build 2600.xpclient.... to just Build 2600. I found the line in the registry and changed it, it worked great, but it seems to change back to the original soon after. Is there something else i need to do?

Cheers

Yep you sure can! :) you have to edit the registry, this is how it is done:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsNTCurrentVersion

Right-Click and modify

BuildLab="2600" <--- or whatever you want to put here.

Thats why I said create a .reg file and put it in the startup folder of the start menu. Find the silent switch though otherwise you will have to confirm it every time you start your computer.

Originally posted by configure  

Err/?? see the attachment.. it's weird..

Yeah that is normal for everyone. I see what you are saying though, "2002" hasn't arrived yet...

But it has always been like that in the beta builds.

Go to the run box and type "winver"

Yeah i can change it, and it works (I assume the FINAL of XP will just say 2600 you see, and i want to make it look neater while im using it.) but after a short while if you look again its changed back (what checks the reg and does that? hmmm).

I remember a while ago someone saying they had done it and showing screenshots (but i cant for the life of me remember where).

Anyway thanks for the help. :D

When i say done it, i mean that they had also found other keys to change to stop it turning back.

Anyway its not that important :) but some of us are born tweakers ;) hehe

I took some scotch tape and put it on my monitor...then you can write whaterver you want on it...unfortunately, you have to move the winver window under it...takes some practice to get it just right...but hang in their...it will all work out

Good one.. what's the big deal anyways... who cares.. as long as it works. And to that kid that said when the final come out.... hello.. you do have the final. There's no more after this. The Retail version would prolly just tidy up the look of it but it's exactly the same as the one you're using now.. since we are all "beta testers" we've already gained access to XP and all that's left now is just updates..