Keep me in your thoughts.

Have you not installed Linux before?

Most people worry about the installation, when it usually goes very well.

But have a backup. ;) Just in case. :shifty:

Good luck, I hope your HDD doesn't get messed up ;)

I'm backingup everything that is remotely useful and I want to keep right now. :D

Have you not installed Linux before?

Most people worry about the installation, when it usually goes very well.

But have a backup. ;) Just in case. :shifty:

It's my first time "flying alone". I hope that Mandrake 10 is the better choice.

,Jun 1 2004, 20:25] It's my first time "flying alone". I hope that Mandrake 10 is the better choice.

Even if I disagreed, it would be awful inconsiderate of me to start listing "better" distros. :p

Best wishes!

Even if I disagreed, it would be awful inconsiderate of me to start listing "better" distros. :p

Best wishes!

See you on the other side. :|

:o

Mandrake is easier than Windows to install. You should be fine.

Easier to install the main OS yes but to install it, drivers and such to fully operational state no.

You can't say it's easier to compile anything than to double click it, even if you are a gentoo emerge freak.

Easier to install the main OS yes but to install it, drivers and such to fully operational state no.

You can't say it's easier to compile anything than to double click it, even if you are a gentoo emerge freak.

That is argueable...

WIth XP, my USB Wifi didn't work, and I needed to install a USB WiFi that Linux used right out of the box.

I would have needed to add back in Office (if it weren't my 9-year old's PC).

A modern Linux distro is amazingly complete. (Y)

,Jun 1 2004, 20:32] Ok. :p Fedora Core 2 or Mandrake 10?

I cut my teeth on RedHat 5.1 (bought the box at a store), so I am biased towards Fedora

Both are good distros.

Mandrake is easier than Windows to install.  You should be fine.

sorry, but no. longhorn can be isntalled in about 4 clicks and a cd-key,(ive never installed xp but i imagine its similair)

can i install mandrake on a virtual machine to try it out? what about fc2? im interested in this but ive had bad experiences.

sorry, but no. longhorn can be isntalled in about 4 clicks and a cd-key,

can i install mandrake on a virtual machine to try it out? what about fc2? im interested in this but ive had bad experiences.

:D As much as I appreciate your views. This is all about Linux for me. ;)

sorry, but no. longhorn can be isntalled in about 4 clicks and a  cd-key,(ive never installed xp but i imagine its similair)

Well, a basic LH install is 4 clicks of the mouse, and 25 random keyboard strokes. Adding in Office, photo editor, etc. is MUCH more.

Anyhow, either of these two distros you mentioned should work fine in Virtual PC or VMWare.

markjensen most people will have to install at least nVIDIA or ATi drivers for Linux if they have not PURCHASED a commercial linux distro, it only gets worse if they want to enable TV out on their cards... Some drivers are included with Linux yes, but if you compare devices you need to install drivers on both Linux and Windows you won't have to read manual how to install the drivers on Windows even if you have never done it before. Linux on the other hand usually requires you to read something more and type.

markjensen most people will have to install at least nVIDIA or ATi drivers for Linux if they have not PURCHASED a commercial linux distro, it only gets worse if they want to enable TV out on their cards... Some drivers are included with Linux yes, but if you compare devices you need to install drivers on both Linux and Windows you won't have to read manual how to install the drivers on Windows even if you have never done it before. Linux on the other hand usually requires you to read something more and type.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There are certain pieces of equipment that may not be used to their max by default (nVidia is a good example) by most distros (there *are* distros that include these drivers - usually pay-for distros).

However, Windows has thier issues to contend with. My mother-in-law's new Dell came with 12 CD-ROMS (I think one was a DVD, technically). Thank god her PC is pre-loaded, reinstalling those will be a nightmare! (sure you can image it and be good-to-go, but same for Linux).

But to say that it is easier to get Windows to a fully operational state is not wholly accurate, either.

Here's a good article about how easy it is to get mandrake up and running...

http://www.davefancella.com/index.php?mode...x%20-%20Install

That looks like almost an EXACT copy of Joe Barr's article comparing RedHat to WIndows a few years ago. :ninja:

Even the tone is the same (except Joe used his significant other, Susan to do the installing). :shifty:

Well, a basic LH install is 4 clicks of the mouse, and 25 random keyboard strokes. Adding in Office, photo editor, etc. is MUCH more.

Anyhow, either of these two distros you mentioned should work fine in Virtual PC or VMWare.

You havent touched Longhorn 4074 have you?

btw since when does windows come with nvidia drivers?

CaKeY,

You cannot think that installing nVidia in Linux is easier than in Windows. :blink:

If you buy an nVidia card, it comes with a CD-ROM for Windows. It may come with Linux drivers, I don't know - I downloaded mine. ;)

In Linux, I copy/download/transfer the file into my home directory. No problem there.

Then I run it from the command line. Fairly simple, but not as easy as WIndows.

Then I kill X (simple CTRL+ALT+BackSpace). Beats rebooting, but not necessary in Windows.

Then I edit /etc/XF86Config. Simple for you and me, but a lot more complex than the Windows install.

Done.

Conclusion: Even as an Open Source supporter, it is obvious that this task is not as easy in Linux as WIndows.