• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Worth buying Apple G4

dreamsINdigital    0

Look again... it's not US dollars, it's Australian currency!

*EDIT* Oh nevermind, I see you're in Australia. :) How much is that exactly in $US? Good luck getting it, I think the price will raise a lot... there's a lot of last minute bidders.

Redestium    1

I think so, you could probably get Panther running on that.

gawdflesh    0

Yeah, get it. That looks like a great starter Mac with some life/upgradability left in it. Go for it. Hell, if I had the cash to throw away right now, I'd bid on it too...

nuka_t    0

ya. great deal. but you have to outbid em first, hehehe...

/jk

Pilsbury    0

I'm sure that auction will end up at more than US $200 somehow...

aaron901    1

i'm sure it'll be at least AUD$500 mate.

idk_    329

I converted it to US$ based on AU$300. I've wanted a mac and this'd be a good start. :)

Looks like I'll be bidding on this then. ;)

cheers

Pilsbury    0

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Reboot-PC-Logist...displayZ2QQtZkm

The same seller has a number of machines on eBay, with most of them over AUD $500 with a day to go... ( a G4/500 is up to $660)

Note that he has G4/466 machines for sale as well... These seem to be getting the same money, but are the later Gigabit ethernet machines with the 133MHz bus, as opposed to the 100MHz of the G4/500 you are looking at. The 466 is probably quicker in real life, and is more upgradeable... (Ok, they have less memory, a 10GB smaller HDD and a CDRW as opposed to a DVD, all of which are no big deal)

Be aware also that these machines have no OS, and don't have a mouse or a keyboard. All of which you will have to buy...

macman87    0
i'm sure it'll be at least AUD$500 mate.

ditto.

Knight'    0

This looks like the Yikes! model, if I'm right, then this will only have PCI graphics. What's more is that they are very hard to upgrade and aren't anywhere near as good as the "real" sawtooths, they also don't have any Level 3 cache.

Edited by Knight'

Pilsbury    0
This looks like the Yikes! model, if I'm right, then this will only have PCI graphics. What's more is that they are very hard to upgrade and aren't anywhere near as good as the "real" sawtooths, they also don't have any Level 3 cache.

Unless it was an upgraded Yikes (unlikely given it's source), it's a Sawtooth

EDIT: Actually, it's a Digital Audio in the picture... the audio ports are at the top. However, they have a 133MHz bus IRC... So, the picture is not "an identical asset" as stated...

EDIT 2: Going by the description (eg, that it takes an Airport card) it's a Sawtooth or a Gigabit Ethernet. The 466's listed in the other auctions are Digital Audios...

Edited by Pilsbury

Knight'    0
Unless it was an upgraded Yikes (unlikely given it's source), it's a Sawtooth

EDIT: Actually, it's a Digital Audio in the picture... the audio ports are at the top. However, they have a 133MHz bus IRC... So, the picture is not "an identical asset" as stated...

EDIT 2: Going by the description (eg, that it takes an Airport card) it's a Sawtooth or a Gigabit Ethernet. The 466's listed in the other auctions are Digital Audios...

It's not a Gigabit as it has a 100mb/s NIC not a 1000mb/s NIC. It's not a Yikes! either as after further reading the model on sale does have AGP, I wish he'd make it clearer. If it is a sawtooth, get it they are a good buy for a first mac.

Edited by Knight'

Pilsbury    0
It's not a Gigabit as it has a 100mb/s NIC not a 1000mb/s NIC. It's not a Yikes! either as after further reading the model on sale does have AGP, I wish he'd make it clearer. If it is a sawtooth, get it they are a good buy for a first mac.

Yes, I said it was a Sawtooth...

The Digital Audio G4/466's which the guy is selling for the same price is a much better buy.

Gary_Player    0

That might be a little steep for what you're getting...you should be able to find a better one for a comperable priced...shop around, you'll find a good one...

point and case: a freind of mine jsut found an old ibook g3 (they're going for $700-800 US) for $400!!! He was so happy he almost shat himself! ...And then bought a powerbook and sold the ibook for a nice $300 profit :D

idk_    329

Hmm... anyway, I've decided to wait until the WWDC conf and see what new things come from apple before I buy anything.

Thanks anyway.

Pilsbury    0

If you were only going to spend $600 AUD, WWDC is going to have very little to offer you other than something in the 20GB iPod price area...

The cheapest new Mac is the eMac at $1300 AUD

(No offence)