spark plugs

i have a question about spark plugs for cars, is it true that the more tips that the plug has that it eats up more gas?

when i got my tune-up they recommended me some dual tip platinum plugs, but i said no, thinking that more tips would burn more fuel, thus wasting more gas. i went ahead and got the single tip.

if it does waste more gas, is it a noticeable amount? otherwise if it's only going to cost me an extra dollar then i think its worth it.

The stock Dual tipped plugs work the best in my Jetta, ran the P +4's in my car for awhile and had a few cold start issues... Number of tips don't have anything to do with the amount of Gas used, multipal tips will help burn that fuel a little better though...

I think there is a little to be said for over kill though when it comes to this though, you can burn a LOT of money on some of these for nothing... :)

i got a tuneup recently, replaced the PCV valve, and had an engine flush.. i also use that fuel injector cleaner once in a while.. spent over $250 on all that service thinking that i will get a lot better gas milage, but nope, i'm still getting 11 MPG and its only a 2.5L V-6 ~170HP

maybe this engine just sucks :argh:

11 mpg? damn just a question do you have a heavy foot? cause i have a 4.6L DOHC 32v V8 280 Horsepower and i get 18.8 mpg!

quick question, did they look at your O2 sensors???

11 mpg? damn just a question do you have a heavy foot? cause i have a 4.6L DOHC 32v V8 280 Horsepower and i get 18.8 mpg!

heavy foot? you mean do i floor it all the time? no i don't, if that's what you mean..

my car in more detail.. http://www.viceking.net/stratus.htm

edit.. i had my 02 sensors checked about 8 - 10 months ago, they were fine, at that time i also had the timing belt and a few wires replaced.

ever since the tuneup i noticed that it's more responsive and i get the power when i need it... between red and green lights i usually keep it under 3k RPM when it shifts.

heavy foot? you mean do i floor it all the time? no i don't, if that's what you mean..

yep thats what i mean... still thats horrible 11mpg and you have a 2.5L!!! something is wrong... if anything and you want to spend like $300, try to get a new computer or re-burn the one you have to set it to have better economy

yep thats what i mean... still thats horrible 11mpg and you have a 2.5L!!! something is wrong... if anything and you want to spend like $300, try to get a new computer or re-burn the one you have to set it to have better economy

i had the computer checked too and that came out "OK" (what the mechanic said)

there's a local garage in my area.. got a coupon for a free 50 point inspection and diagnostic.. so i'll take it over and see what they say.

changing the spark plugs was a bitch too.. whoever designed that engine is a moron, they put the intake over the 3 plugs in the back.. held by 6 bolts. 4 in the front.. and two in the sides and my hand doesn't fit in there.. only a special "dodge tool" can fit in there :rolleyes: the labor cost me $120

i got a tuneup recently, replaced the PCV valve, and had an engine flush.. i also use that fuel injector cleaner once in a while.. spent over $250 on all that service thinking that i will get a lot better gas milage, but nope, i'm still getting 11 MPG and its only a 2.5L V-6 ~170HP

maybe this engine just sucks :argh:

11 miles per gallon?! in a jetta? yeah, I'd say that engine sucks.

you also might be able to choke the injectors a little to runner the car a little leaner. dont know much about cars, but i could see that helpin

Soviet, it's a Dodge Stratus, i don't think any VolksWagon gets under 17MPG

kaptain chump, it's a Geo Prizm 5-speed manual and takes 91octane gasoline.

also i think there might be something with my umm.. gas meter thingamajic. i looked at the all cars in the house and my friends car (bmw, two intrepids, CRV, accord) and their gas meter pretty much stays the same whether the car is parked up hill or downhill, but my car..

lets say i'm half full. if i park up hill turn off the egine and turn it back up. the guage will show 3/4 full.. if i park downhill it'll show 1/4 full.. but once i start driving and drive for a bit, that's when i can tell the true level of my gas. right? wrong. not all the time.. it'll be at half.. i drive and drive and it'll go down just a little bit. so i get home park the car (leveled street) hours later i turn it back on and its lower than before.

i thought it might be because of air pressure or something in the tank.. but that's not the case becuase air doesn't escape when i open the gasket.