Moving to Linux permanantly.

Unobscured Vision

Yesterday, I had an epiphany of sorts. It came when WindowsXP decided that I didn't need the data on my backup HD anymore. It being FAT-32 larger than 37gigs (or whatever the number is -- I know it's in the 30's), it corrupted my data in a way that ONLY a corrupted file system can do. I tried everything on it, from tools, tricks, and software to even moving the files that I hoped I could save. Nothing worked, and my data was lost.

After years of using Windows, I'm finally done with it as far as it being my main OS. I'll use it occasionally (if it can retain the [expletive] data) for stuff that Linux can't do yet, but as far as all the hype and b$ that I know about Windows, I'm done. It's let me down for the last time.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'll be frequenting the Linux areas a lot more now.

Fred Derf
Yesterday, I had an epiphany of sorts.

If you choose a distro with Gnome then you can use Epiphany so solve your "epiphany of sorts".

dougkinzinger

Maybe Linux will have a spellchecker for your posts on Neowin.

(permanently)

username

you will be back

PureEdit

Sounds good, I did something similar with OS X.

markjensen

Welcome to (nearly) full-time Linux. :)

I have been 100% Linux for over a year and a half, and have not regretted it. I dual-booted for 9 months or so before then, and found that having that Windows crutch prevented me from getting my Linux legs, so to speak.

Neowin has a good Linux section, with plenty of support (plus the occasional troll that spit out useless comments in threads such as this ;) ). If you run into problems, or have questions (and I am sure you will, as everyone does as they learn this OS) just ask. You will start to learn the man pages, and find out good resources and tricks like using http://google.com/linux for linux-specific searches.

Mark

Unobscured Vision
dougkinzinger

Maybe Linux will have a spellchecker for your posts on Neowin.

(permanently)

Whatever, 'leet boy. Like you're the big authority here. :hmmm:

Edited by BetaguyGZT
Spartan_X
you will be back

As all the Apple ?Switchers? did:devil:devil:

Rudy

dont blame Windows.....blame the crappy FS u were using.....FAT32 is CRAP, i never had problems with NTFS though

CaKeY
dont blame Windows.....blame the crappy FS u were using.....FAT32 is CRAP

:rolleyes:

Redestium
:rolleyes:

It's true though.

on topic:

Hey if you can get away with using an alt OS go for it. I for one can't mainly for the applications I use and my line of work.

dougkinzinger
Whatever, 'leet boy. Like you're the big authority here.

HA!! ROFL!! :D That made me LOL, a wee man trying to insult me the best way he knows how! :laugh:

forster

Gratz on moving over to Linux permenantly, and Doug, you do know that if you keep feeding the trolls they just come back right ? :rolleyes:

I do however think that you should dual boot - are you telling me you will never want to play a PC based game again? Yes, Linux has some decent ports, yes you can run them through WINE if you want some half arsed framerate of that if you had installed it under Windows but I can see, especially the age group that generally posts, that you'll return to Windows no matter what it has done to you in the past.

Also, dont think that Linux is the saviour of your computing needs, its hard work - even when you know it inside out, you are still going to run into problems doing things that you could 'do in Windows'.

FM

I love the elitist attitude between the higher-up Neowin members :rolleyes:

Spellcheck that, smartass.

Fred Derf
Gratz on moving over to Linux permenantly, and Doug, you do know that if you keep feeding the trolls they just come back right ? :rolleyes:

If you reread this thread you'll realize that dougkinzinger didn't feed the trolls he was the troll (in this thread anyway).

FM

Yep, he definently was.

dougkinzinger
you do know that if you keep feeding the trolls they just come back right ?

Aye, that they do....but so did we in our day, too.

If you reread this thread you'll realize that dougkinzinger didn't feed the trolls he was the troll (in this thread anyway).

Uh, no, I don't think so. Trolling does not involve correcting one's spelling, as you well know, Fred.

Schmoove
Yesterday, I had an epiphany of sorts. It came when WindowsXP decided that I didn't need the data on my backup HD anymore. It being FAT-32 larger than 37gigs (or whatever the number is -- I know it's in the 30's), it corrupted my data in a way that ONLY a corrupted file system can do. I tried everything on it, from tools, tricks, and software to even moving the files that I hoped I could save. Nothing worked, and my data was lost.

After years of using Windows, I'm finally done with it as far as it being my main OS. I'll use it occasionally (if it can retain the [expletive] data) for stuff that Linux can't do yet, but as far as all the hype and b$ that I know about Windows, I'm done. It's let me down for the last time.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'll be frequenting the Linux areas a lot more now.

Choosing FAT32 for a 40 gig drive isn't the smartest thing you can do.... you have yourself to blame.

Using FAT32 in the first place isn't smart either.... especially not on a backup disk, since the error correction mechanisms in FAT32 are just terrible compared to NTFS and the linux filesystems.

Autoexec

So what are you gonna do when you want to play your games ?????

:blink:

dougkinzinger
So what are you gonna do when you want to play your games ?????

:blink:

He can dual-boot for a while, or have a secondary PC.

But yes, there won't be any Linux releases of Half-Life 2, Doom 3, or Far Cry anytime soon.

Frank84

no emulator (for playing games) for a linux based machine ?

or did i mist something ?

if not, the programmers have to do something. :woot:

threetonesun
Choosing FAT32 for a 40 gig drive isn't the smartest thing you can do.... you have yourself to blame.

Using FAT32 in the first place isn't smart either.... especially not on a backup disk, since the error correction mechanisms in FAT32 are just terrible compared to NTFS and the linux filesystems.

I think it's funny everyone is knocking FAT32 all of the sudden, when if he's going to do dual-boot at all (which I recommend before you dive in completely), it's best to have a FAT32 drive to share between the two OS's since Linux support for NTFS is still a bit sketchy.

That said, I still have all my music on a FAT32 drive (hasn't been reformatted in a few years) and I've never had an issue with it.

dougkinzinger

FAT32 still gets the job done; it's not like it's crappy or anything.

Autoexec
He can dual-boot for a while, or have a secondary PC.

But yes, there won't be any Linux releases of Half-Life 2, Doom 3, or Far Cry anytime soon.

& This is why Lunix sux 4 teh home desktop ;)

JadeWolf324

linux is great if u have the time to learn it. i spent about 2 years on it...but work and my music projects keep pulling me back to windows...but...im gonna switch to mac because then ill have the best of both worlds!