Moving to Linux permanantly.

I switched from Windows to OS X and never looked back. I think everyone should try a switch, maybe not to OS X but even with Linux.

I think it's funny everyone is knocking FAT32 all of the sudden, when if he's going to do dual-boot at all (which I recommend before you dive in completely), it's best to have a FAT32 drive to share between the two OS's since Linux support for NTFS is still a bit sketchy.

That said, I still have all my music on a FAT32 drive (hasn't been reformatted in a few years) and I've never had an issue with it.

I'm saying it is not smart to BACKUP important data to a 40gb FAT32 drive. Windows can't format such a drive in FAT32 format for example (32gb is the max), only if you make smaller partitions. Both Linux and Windows offer you filesystems that are far more advanced and are more secure then FAT32. If on NTFS the File Allocation Table (well it has none, but the equivalent of the FAT32 File Allocation Table) gets corrupted you can still acces your data because of smart correction mechanisms. With FAT32 this wil be a lot more difficult. Linux offers you with Ext2 or 3 filesystems that too are way better then FAT32.

As a partition to share between Windows and Linux FAT32 is fine, as long as you don't store valuable data on it.

But yes, there won't be any Linux releases of Half-Life 2, Doom 3, or Far Cry anytime soon.

UT2k4 (and 2k3) runs great on Linux and was released at the same time ( and on the same disc ) as the windows version. I personally know quite a few Linux users who BOUGHT 2k3 and 2k4 just to just to show support.

UT2k4 (and 2k3) runs great on Linux and was released at the same time ( and on the same disc ) as the windows version. I personally know quite a few Linux users who BOUGHT 2k3 and 2k4 just to just to show support.

Yes they do. But I never mentioned UT2003 or 2004, did I?

I'm saying it is not smart to BACKUP important data to a 40gb FAT32 drive. Windows can't format such a drive in FAT32 format for example (32gb is the max), only if you make smaller partitions. Both Linux and Windows offer you filesystems that are far more advanced and are more secure then FAT32. If on NTFS the File Allocation Table (well it has none, but the equivalent of the FAT32 File Allocation Table) gets corrupted you can still acces your data because of smart correction mechanisms. With FAT32 this wil be a lot more difficult. Linux offers you with Ext2 or 3 filesystems that too are way better then FAT32.

As a partition to share between Windows and Linux FAT32 is fine, as long as you don't store valuable data on it.

I got you now. But are there any other filesystems that both Windows and Linux can read besides FAT32?

I got you now. But are there any other filesystems that both Windows and Linux can read besides FAT32?

Yes. NTFS using the captive driver under linux. Ext2/3 can be read in windows using a freeware driver. A commercial product exists by paragon that lets you write to ext2/3 as well.

Apparently the NTFS write support is much, much better than it was, say, six months ago (if you have the latest package installed).

It's still recommended that you perform a chkdsk once the drive goes back into the Windows box. It's also still recommended that you have a backup.

dont blame Windows.....blame the crappy FS u were using.....FAT32 is CRAP, i never had problems with NTFS though

WINDOWS FAT32 is crap*

I remember some limit MS put into FAT32 to not let files go over 4 gigs -_-

He can dual-boot for a while, or have a secondary PC.

But yes, there won't be any Linux releases of Half-Life 2, Doom 3, or Far Cry anytime soon.

Id is releasing Doom 3 for linux. It will be on the same cd as the windows version. They did the same thing for Return to Castle Wolfenstien.

Apparently the NTFS write support is much, much better than it was, say, six months ago (if you have the latest package installed).

It's still recommended that you perform a chkdsk once the drive goes back into the Windows box. It's also still recommended that you have a backup.

Ah, that's about the last time I used Linux.

read this article and you'll see that you're doing the right thing...

Windows XP Shows the Direction Microsoft is Going.

I think I read that article before.

I am an Open Source supporter, but a lot of the things in that page make me think the writer is a tinfoil hat wearer. :whistle:

Being paranoid about the default tyme synchronization to a Microsoft NTP server is a little way overboard.

I think I read that article before.

I am an Open Source supporter, but a lot of the things in that page make me think the writer is a tinfoil hat wearer. :whistle:

Being paranoid about the default tyme synchronization to a Microsoft NTP server is a little way overboard.

But Microsoft could hide anything in those time syncronization packets!

/me gets out my tinfoil hat.

He can dual-boot for a while, or have a secondary PC.

"Activision and id Software have issued a press release announcing that DOOM III will be released this summer. A Linux client has also been in development alongside the requisite Win32 version."

Quote Slashdot Games.

Also, quake IV will be based on doom III's engine, so that will probably be ported to Linux as well.

In addition, FarCry does work in Winex if you desperatly crave it, but as it isn't being run in native, Windows will surpass it in performance. Linux isn't something you rely on for commercial gaming, but if you understand it and learn to appreciate the "unix" way of doing things, it's an excellent system for both productivity and the desktop. Operating systems is a personal thing, just like music, and while someone likes Windows, others are more fond of OS X, some like Linux and others again like BSD, Solaris and so on. Why people can't just accept that, and then proceeds to wage a personal war over the internet against the opposition is one thing I can't grasp.

Anyone who likes computers should experiment with other OSes and new Software, if you don't like what you're testing out then you uninstall it, and keep what you have learned. In most cases, any form of professional computing can be improved by using different software for different tasks. Nothing really beats a OpenBSD router, now, does it? :p

In addition, FarCry does work in Winex if you desperatly crave it, but as it isn't being run in native, Windows will surpass it in performance.

I sit here corrected and owned by Commander Keen. Thanks for pointing it out; glad to know companies are developing ports.

As for Far Cry via Winex, man, that's gotta suck badly...

I haven't tried, but yeah, DirectX is buggy at best. Native games run very well though, opengl isn't as flashy as DirectX, but performance is great. Die hard gamers have never been a linux-group, but it's nice to have some options for entertainment in Linux when you feel like it.

The reason I left the format as FAT-32 was because I have my backup installed into my PC, and a framekit which I use several different HD's in for different OS's. I wanted a way to share data between them, and one of those HD's has Win98SE on it (which can't read NTFS). Plus I've always used Linux to some degree or another, and I knew about the problems with NTFS and Linux. It just seemed the proper thing to do at the time, formatting to FAT-32.

Of course I will still USE Windows from time to time, for my games and stuff. It just won't be my main OS.

Of course I will still USE Windows from time to time, for my games and stuff. It just won't be my main OS.

Then I guess Permanently means something different to you.

Then I guess Permanently means something different to you.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Here he bashes us, but his post title isn't even correct. *snipped*

Edited by configure

My story is somewhat similar to how I came to use linux as my full time OS. I first tried redhat 6.2 and thought that while it was nice that windows was better for my needs and for 2 years after that I used windows and occasionally linux. I would also boot into what was the Windows Whistler and play with that. Then I started to read about things such as DRM and was getting sick of all the virus's and then after going home for a week to find that my antivirus software crashed and my system was full of virus's from my college network. My pc crashed and when i rebooted I found that a lot of my files had been erased on my drive. That was the day I got sick of windows and decided to move to linux. I decided that I would wait for RedHat 9 to be released and during that time I backed up my system, read a bit about linux to get farmiliar again. RH9 was released and I have used linux since then. I am currently running Fedora Core 2 and loving every second of it. I subscribe to winex and play some windows games and when there is a linux port of a game I want I go and buy it to show my support. The most recent game I got was UT2k4 which runs great under linux and I plan on getting Doom 3 as well.

At my job I work on windows computers all day long and deal with all sorts of problems and I find it nice that when i come home I can just use my linux box and not have to worry about anything.

I wish I could fully switch to linux, but I can't, at least not in the summer. I have no way of getting online at my home because I only have dialup and my modem is unsupported in kernel 2.6, a Pctel AC'97 winmodem... on that note anyone know a good USB modem that is fully supported in linux?