Promise UATA100 on ASUS A7V Driver

Anyone know if there are WinXP drivers for the Promise UATA100 chip on ASUS A7V boards? Windows installs a default Promise UATA driver, but a quick little HDTach test shows 30% CPU usage, 65.5 burst rate, and 16ms access time, which means it's obviously not in DMA mode.

Also, are the Via 4in1 Drivers needed in XP and if so which ones? When I installed the 4in1s and the 3.12Beta IDE Busmasters, I got the primary/secondary IDE Controllers, and 2 entries as SCSI controllers under the SCSI section (which were the 3.12 drivers). Having these made booting up take ages as WinXP was looking on all these channels for drives.

Also, in Win2k and XP HDTach seems to use "Advanced Size Check" whether the box is ticked or not. As this slows down the access time and CPU usage(?) is there any way to proberly disable it if I only want to do the normal check?

Oh yeah, and one more thing...When doing a fresh install of WinXP (Devilsown/Corp) with a clean primary partition and a Fat32 Extended partition, Setup only gave me the option of formatting the primary as NTFS (quick or normal). Shouldn't there have been a FAT32 option?

Damn, I gotta learn to make my posts shorter.

Yes but why did it only let me format it for NTFS and not FAT32? Also, since your setup is working fine, could you tell me what you did? Are you using Via 4in1? Bus Master? Which driver are you using for your Promise card?

Thanks

I don't think I was completely clear...My drives work fine plugged into either ports using any of the drivers, it's just that performance is poor. Have you tried running HDTach to see what kind of speed you are getting?

GambitADSL, ASUS motherboards should support the UATA100 fine. But if you install the OS from clean, when you see that it ask if you want to install additional SCSI adapters and such, press F6 (I think that's the key... don't remember too well) and use the driver that comes with the hard drive that you bought. I suggest you use the Win2K driver. It should work... ASUS and the 4in1 driver does not seem to work well at all, on my system any ways... WindowsXP should have detected almost all of the devices fine. You don't need to install any other driver... even that driver for the UATA/100. But if you do want to try it out, try it out when you boot the system from clean...

Actually, To install the Win2000 Driver for the ATA 100 Would give WinXP an Older Driver then the One provided by the XP setup... As for the Speed of your ATA100 transfer, Perhaps (Not that it is the case) you should check the quality of your Cable. Sometimes it can slowdown the performance of the Promise instead of increasing it!:)

As for the 4in1 Driver, YOu only need to install those if you have a problem installing Win2000 or WinXP perhaps too... since they are basically built on the same Core . If you can install without hangs or BlueScreens then perhaps the 4in1 is then useless. :cool: Then again, I might be wrong. :) :p