• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AGP slot graphics card problem

fizzy222    0

Hello

I?m having trouble with my graphics card. My computer came with an onboard graphics card but wasn?t very good so I decided to upgrade it to a nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 mb AGP 8X. My computer only has an AGP 4X but I read somewhere that it would still work. My motherboard is made by PCChips and is a M910LR model with an AMD K7 bios. I run Windows ME.

Anyway when I put the graphics card in I did exactly what I was told to do but after it had installed the screen would freeze and not work. So I looked in the manual and it said there could be a problem with the bios so I went to the PCChips website to look for an update which I found now the problem was that when ever I turned the computer on it froze and became unstable so I decide to remove graphics card before I flashed the bios, as I had never done it before and was paranoid about doing it wrong. When I removed the graphics card I was very careful and put it back in the original packaging. I was now able to flash the bios this took me longer than expected but I did it and the computer seemed to work better for it. So I decided it was time to reinstall the graphics card when I put it in the AGP slot and turned the computer on for the first time the graphics were a complete mess it was all shaking really badly I removed all the other electronic equipment from my desk to make sure they weren?t interfering but this didn?t stop it. I removed the graphics card and everything went back to normal, this lead me to believe it was the cards fault so I got a replacement however when I put the new card in the same thing happened.

Now I believe I may have completely messed up the AGP slot, thinking about it I came to the conclusion that when I removed the first graphics card I must have got some static on it from somewhere so when I put it back in it must have caused some damage to the slot. I?m worried now it going to be totally unusable.

If you haven?t realised by now I don?t have a clue about computers so I am probably talking rubbish, I?ve done a google search to try and find if people have had similar experiences but I can?t find anything so can anyone here help is there anything I can do everything else on the motherboard works fine it?s just the AGP slot that?s trouble, so I don?t really want to have to replace it just for that. Any ideas?

HeartsOfWar    28

An AGP 8x should work in an AGP 4x slot without problems. So I doubt it's this...

Some motherboards will have an option inside the Bios concerning onboard video. You must toggle this option to disable if you want to add a new graphics card.

Look for this option. If you find it, play with it and see what results you get and post back. If not, post back letting us know that you don't have it

fizzy222    0

Hi thanks for the reply I had a look at the bios and the only opitions relating to graphic preformance are for either using an onboard AGP or PCI graphics card. So I have it set to onboard AGP as I don't have anything in my PCI slot.

I can't seem to disable the built in onboard graphics card myself apparently the computer should do it itself when a card is placed in the AGP or PCI slots.

Preemo    0

PCChips motherboards were nothing but trouble I've heard. But that's irrelevant. I think all this is in your BIOS. And if that doesn't work out than its the motherboard not being able to handle that beast of a video card.

:)

Otherwise, try another video card just in case.

HeartsOfWar    28

Yes, most motherboards will auto disable the onboard video if it detects a card, but I wasn't sure if your mobo was designed like that.

Now that we think it is, can you describe when the screens get jumbled? Is it when the BIOS is still in control, or is it when Windows has taken control and is loading?

Also, what was the onboard video card and what is the one you're trying to install? Are they from different maufacturers or are they the same?

dougkinzinger    0
PCChips motherboards were nothing but trouble I've heard. But that's irrelevant. I think all this is in your BIOS. And if that doesn't work out than its the motherboard not being able to handle that beast of a video card.

:)

Otherwise, try another video card just in case.

I was getting ready to post that even before I read your post.

Aye, your motherboard is probably faulty in some fashion. Honestly, I'd expect even more problems as they begin to show themselves in the next few months.

HeartsOfWar    28

Hmmm... I did some searching for a M910LR Motherboard by PCChips and found nothing as far as a products page; however, I did find a support table that lists it as being a P4 478 motherboard.

This is not good as it conflicts with what you said above about having a AMD k7....

Are you sure this is the proper mobo? and that is the Proc. that you have?

fizzy222    0

Hi

The bios loads up fine it's only when Windows has finished loading and the desk top shows up it all goes wrong

Oh I've just noticed the motherboard is a M810LR sorry about the "M910LR" was a typo in the original post. Sorry for the confusion

The original graphics card was built in it says something about SIS I'm guessing that was the make

The AGP and PCI slots were empty before I put the new card in.

I've tried two graphics cards so far by different mantures can't remember the name of the first one but the second one was by XFX both with the Geforce FX 5200 chipset and the same thing happened with both

The PCChips website is so unhelpful I found it very user unfriendly.

My computers a walking disaster what with the PCChips motherboard and Windows ME I've heard so many bad things about both of them. :)

HeartsOfWar    28

The fact that your computer boots-up just fine and experiences difficulties only during windows is probably indicating a driver issue.

Did you uninstall the Previous video drivers before installing the Nvidia Drivers?

Did you install the Nvidia drivers?

--------------------------------------------

1. Download the LATEST drivers from Nvidia here. Then, Uninstall all previous video drivers, including anything you have for the new card. Install the new card and Finally, reboot windows and let it use a generic video driver and see how it looks.

If everything looks good, install the latest Nvidia drivers and hopefully everything should be OK.

If everything is still garbled and jumbled, just post back and we'll cover the next steps later.

fizzy222    0

I did try doing what you said but there's no change as soon as the graphic cards in the slot and windows has loaded up the display is a complete jumbled mess I would try getting a screen shot but it is too unstable to work properly

Don't know if this is relevent but the first time I installed the graphics card the screen just froze after windows had loaded up the display looked fine

it's only since I removed the graphics card and put it back it the disply has become jumbled

If there's anything else you can think of I really do appreciate your help thanks

just wish I had more of an idea about computers myself