Why I'd use a Mac over a Windows PC any day

Here's my "opinion"... If you don't like it, then don't comment, and please don't start a flame war, that's not what this thread was intended for. I wrote this article this morning because I needed to kill time..

----------------------

Why I?d use a Macintosh over a Windows-based PC any dayb>

Written by iCeFuSiOn on Saturday, June 12, 2004

I?ve been a Windows user for the last 12 years of my life, and in those 12 years, I?ve used Macintosh computers at various schools, and they ran anywhere between OS 7 and OS 9, and I never could get used to the Mac, forcing me back to my Windows machine.

Now, in those 12 years, I?ve seen a hell of a lot of Windows crashes, blue screens, and errors that just don?t make a lick of sense. I?d go to use a piece of software, and it?d crash, usually taking my unsaved work with it. Even on Windows XP, I?ve had to format at least once every 3 months to keep my system nice and speedy, because otherwise, it slowed down horribly, even with the best of Windows system maintenance software.

So, I took a gamble, I went to my local Mac retailer and found out some information on the Mac. I played around with the iBook, the PowerBook, and a nice G4 tower system. I was impressed by OS X?s multitasking capabilities and stability. I do a lot of multitasking on my systems, which means they have to be able to handle me running 20+ separate programs at once. OS X could handle a whole lot better than Windows XP could. That day, I sold my computer to the Mac retailer (they are a Mac retailer and a used PC shop as well), and got myself a PowerBook on even trade. I was thrilled! I took my new PowerBook home, plugged it in, and booted it up. Everything just worked.

Now of course, me being the tech geek in the house, I decided to format the PowerBook with the Panther discs that the store had given me with the machine so I could get a nice fresh start. The process takes about as long as it does to install Windows XP on a fast PC. Again, I was impressed. I got everything up and running within an hour and a half, and I?m a new user when it comes to Macs. I downloaded the free software & utilities that I wanted and installed Microsoft Office v.X (yes, I know, Microsoft is evil. But I need Office interoperability for schoolwork). I LOVE how most, if not all applications, can be installed simply by dragging them to the Applications folder. No files being placed in 50 different directories, they?re all right there. And if you don?t want an application anymore, drag it to the trash. It?s that simple.

OS X is a breeze to work with. It?s stable, and as I mentioned before, it can multitask really, really well. I haven?t had a single crash or lockup, and the machine just keeps on going like the energizer bunny, even if I have 30-40 programs running. Only one word can describe how I feel about this: AWESOME!!

I can do more with this PowerBook than I could with my Athlon XP 2000+ PC, and it?s quite surprising considering the specification differences between the two. Oh yeah, here are the specs of my PowerBook, and bePowerBook:cs of the PC.

PowerBook:

400Mhz G3 Processor

192MB RAM

30GB Hard Drive

FireWire PWindows based PC:Panther?

Windows based PC:

1.6Ghz Athlon XP 2000+

256MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive

6 USB Slots (that I never used)

SoundBlaster Audigy sound card

NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440-SE

Windows XP Professional SP1

I know a lot of people at this point after reading the specs probably think I?m insane for selling that PC and buying the PowerBook. But the fact is, the PC was too much for me, and I got sick of it. I needed a change. My PowerBook can do more than the Athlon PC could, and that fact alone makes me happy with my purchase.

With the PowerBook, I can finally work without frustration and data loss.

Thank you, Apple, for making such wonderful computers. They are truly a joy to work with.

Edited by iCeFuSiOn

not a very good article, basically you just said you like Mac better because installing app is easier, it can multitask and it doesn't crash. i mean, it doesn't really go with the title.. ;)

when i see the title, i expect someone to point out the strengths of OSX you know.. ;)

not a very good article, basically you just said you like Mac better because installing app is easier, it can multitask and it doesn't crash. i mean, it doesn't really go with the title.. ;)

when i see the title, i expect someone to point out the strengths of OSX you know.. ;)

It was a rushed article. lol sorry. :pinch:

The article is basically a small overview as to why I prefer OS X over Windows, etc. It wasn't meant to be a full in depth article. But if you want to throw in some information on the strengths of OS X, feel free :) I'm still by far a Mac n00b so I haven't really dug into the OS deep.. yet.

It was a rushed article. lol sorry. :pinch:

The article is basically a small overview as to why I prefer OS X over Windows, etc. It wasn't meant to be a full in depth article. But if you want to throw in some information on the strengths of OS X, feel free :) I'm still by far a Mac n00b so I haven't really dug into the OS deep.. yet.

lol :D i'll let the evn show do the job. :D

to me, the strength of Mac is basically the iApps (iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iTunes) and the hardware design. :)

wouldn't panther be running really slow on that kind of machine?

OS X runs just fine on G3s (and alot faster than Windows XP running on a PII 400), but you can't do much with that kind of config, surfing the web, using office is almost all you can do...

Panther is faster than any older version of OSX, on a 400MHz G3, it's acceptable.

Most people see little speed difference between 9.2.2 and 10.3.x, which is a big difference compared to previous versions.

wouldn't panther be running really  slow on that kind of machine?

Actually it runs pretty decent, if it ran slow, I wouldn't have gotten this PowerBook.

aaron901: Speaking of the iApps, I love them. Especially iTunes, iCal, and iPhoto. With SizzlingKeys4iTunes, I have global hotkey support for iTunes so I can control the player alot more easily. With iPhoto, I plug my camera in and it just works. With my PC, sometimes the camera would pick up, sometimes it wouldn't, and it usually required a reboot to get working again (which is a pain because I usually will take some pictures, come home, transfer them over to the computer, and go out and start snapping more pictures again).

AquaDex: I know it sounds weird, but I NEEDED a laptop as I will be doing alot of travelling this summer and I will need it for school next year as I am taking alot of technology courses. I find almost no real speed difference between my PC and the PowerBook (yeah, maybe I'm screwed in the head. So what?). All I really do anymore is surf, email, word processing, powerpoint, etc. Some IRC now and then, messing around in terminal, FTP downloads & uploads, listening to music, etc etc. I don't play games on my computers anymore, I have a console for that.

Now, in those 12 years, I?ve seen a hell of a lot of Windows crashes, blue screens, and errors that just don?t make a lick of sense. I?d go to use a piece of software, and it?d crash, usually taking my unsaved work with it.
Seriously? Cmon, in my time using windows, which been over a decade also, i have probably had maybe 5 BSOD. I dont even use any other maitenance products other then the Windows Defrag, Disk Clean and System Mechanic 3.X.

You sure it wasnt hardware or dodgy driver issue? I mean if so, then why blame Windows for a poorly created driver or poorly made hardware.

Even on Windows XP, I?ve had to format at least once every 3 months to keep my system nice and speedy, because otherwise, it slowed down horribly, even with the best of Windows system maintenance software.

Sorry but sounds like user error.

You kidding again right? Sounds to me like you failed to properly maintain your system.

You post a comment on a public forum, and so expect the consequence of doing so.

Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against Macs, but your excuses for switching seem pretty lame.

As for having a Athlon 2000+, check my sig. I can play whatever i like on this rig, do any sort of work on it as well, and yes, have many multiple applications running at the same time. In fact my system handles it very well. It does everything i throw at it.

Anyway, if you are happy, then hunky dory diddly doodly.

Have a go:D night. :D

quite exaggerated i felt!! do the blue screens relaly come that often? i used win 95 and 98 when i was young then went right to xp. xp never has any blue screens or any errors. even when 95 or 98 there wasnt much blue screens anyway.. some pple want macs when they have pcs.. some want pcs when they want macs.. and some wanna stick with whatever they have.. i dunno! i dun mind anything!

-brandon

I like CRT's so have thought about getting an eMac but the extra software would be too expensive. If Office was cross platform, I might be able to make use of it, but it isn't. Also, I'm so used to my windows programs I don't think I'd be able to be that productive in OS X.

I would love to switch to a mac - I've only had my PC for two years and it's already taken me to hell and back again atleast 5 times, I hate the bloddy thing. Both Microsoft and HP are on my murder list... :ninja:

That IMO was a fantastic article iCeFuSiOn.

I know it sounds stupid, but I need a PC. I need to be able to fully customise the look and feel of it (eg. visuals, logons, boots, ect.) because I can never put up with the same look and feel for long. I also love building my own logons - it takes up about 1/3 of my time on the PC.

And then there's the bother with the programs that Mac supports - what is it, 12% of the market? I download so much stuff off the net, and 99.9% of it wouldn't run on a Mac. The day that apple annonces that all programs that work with windows will work with mac, I'll buy an eMac.

And then we come to P2P - apart from the fact iTunes isn't in australia yet, I don't wanna pay for music - thats why I use P2P! no P2P program I know of works on Mac.

On the plus side, I love the look of macs - so much better then the boring and very old windows look (yes, I have XP - but luna got boring after a week). I love the way mac's are always changing and looking better everytime.

so, maybe in a few years I'll switch to mac myself. but at the mo, i'll stay with windows.... but not completely by choice.

I would love to switch to a mac - I've only had my PC for two years and it's already taken me to hell and back again atleast 5 times, I hate the bloddy thing. Both Microsoft and HP are on my murder list... :ninja:

That IMO was a fantastic article iCeFuSiOn.

I know it sounds stupid, but I need a PC. I need to be able to fully customise the look and feel of it (eg. visuals, logons, boots, ect.) because I can never put up with the same look and feel for long. I also love building my own logons - it takes up about 1/3 of my time on the PC.

And then there's the bother with the programs that Mac supports - what is it, 12% of the market? I download so much stuff off the net, and 99.9% of it wouldn't run on a Mac. The day that apple annonces that all programs that work with windows will work with mac, I'll buy an eMac.

And then we come to P2P - apart from the fact iTunes isn't in australia yet, I don't wanna pay for music - thats why I use P2P! no P2P program I know of works on Mac.

On the plus side, I love the look of macs - so much better then the boring and very onl windows look. I love the way mac's are always changing and looking better everytime.

so, maybe in a few years I'll switch to mac myself. but at the mo, i'll stay with windows.... but not completely by choice.

For P2P, I used Poisoned. Works quite well :)

Yeah man again at the end of the day it all comes down to what stimulates you the most. Clearly you love the stability, features etc of the powerbook but most windows users wouldnt really care about them for they would sacrifice them for more games, programs etc.

Aquisition and Limewire Pro 4 are good too :D

It's always nice to have 10 Billion of these "mac-is-better-than-Windows-no-windows-is-better-than-mac-threads". So one or two more won't matter I guess. :D