Why I'd use a Mac over a Windows PC any day

im ny opinion the only thign i like aobut mac is teh crisp displays

i dont wnat to go off topic here, but the apple pro displays are not the best of the best. there are better ones out there that have higher contrast ratios. i cant emember by which company they are made off the top of my head. however, i heard there will be an update to the displays soon so well have to see.

actually xp

-new updates have been installed. to see what they contain, click this balloon.

i never knew about osx's firewall. is it on by default?

there is a summary of what the patch contains, and a full detailed summary in the knowlege base.

im not sure about this, but the media center update might have been "allows you to view movies recorded in windows MCE in xp." ive downloaded that one before so maybe that is what you are reffering to and you misread it or something.

do you really want to download a patch for WMP 8 at the same time you download WMP 9, or a pre sp1 patch while downloading sp1? there is a logic to it and with all non major updates, they can be downloaded siultaneously.

this is by far the most intelligent conversation i think we've ever had :laugh:

i use windowsupdate.com because i've never really liked those balloons, i remember them from winme days and my god, they were horrible.

the osx firewall is not on by default, but it's not hard to find or turn on (system prefs > sharing > firewall > turn on), whereas with xp, you have to go into the connection's preferences and turn it on.

the media center update was just an example... there was one about a jet database? a journal thing?

and it cannot be that hard to add update checking into the updater... if you're about to download sp1 and a pre-sp1 patch, why can't the page/thingy check that? osx's software updater kind of does this by allowing users to download combined updates as opposed to each single update.

i still hear no argument fo r Apple inablity to use VB, as long as it does not have VB or a direct replacement, there is a LARGE aobunt of people who wil ever have any reason to even touch a mac. Everythign a mac can do a PC can do, and was probably in some from already on a PC to start with. I see n reason to shell out an extra 2-500 on a computer cuz it "looks better" im ny opinion the only thign i like aobut mac is teh crisp displays

if you're going to base your whole decision to buy or not buy a mac on some insanely weak programming language, that's on you, not me. and i doubt a "LARGE" amount of people are holding out on the mac because they can't use a microsoft language on it. i've yet to find a serious developer who has used visual basic for anything but the most inane of tasks. learn c++ and then decide to go vc++ or cocoa/carbon.

nuka_t: the displays are extremely old too... it's been over 500 days since their last update. this coincides with the date on which dual 1.42ghz g4's were coming out.

,Jun 13 2004, 03:50] You've never had a BSOD in Windows 3.1 / 95 / 98 / 98SE / 2000 or XP? Sorry but that's just fanciful thinking. You ought to be careful about that too, you MAY have started to believe what you've imagined. :rolleyes:

put on those coke bottles again and re-read....i said 'repeated' bluescreens :blink:

the mac is ok for my mum.. but... I'm sorry.. it does not have the power of a well configured PC... and as for the stability... AHAHAHAH.... macs suck.... lets see... photoshop...maya 5 and AIM...... average amount of crashs a day on a G5 with 2 gigs of ram... about 6

on a PC with less specs... 0 times.. a YEAR!!!!!!..

comon.... the only thing I have to say in a macs defence tho.. is that they are easy to use... but PC's are for the experianced....

the mac is ok for my mum.. but... I'm sorry.. it does not have the power of a well configured PC... and as for the stability... AHAHAHAH.... macs suck.... lets see... photoshop...maya 5 and AIM...... average amount of crashs a day on a G5 with 2 gigs of ram... about 6

on a PC with less specs... 0 times.. a YEAR!!!!!!..

comon.... the only thing I have to say in a macs defence tho.. is that they are easy to use... but PC's are for the experianced....

whatever you say, guy (Y)

6 times a day... :laugh:

*sigh* yea

well, thanks for the laugh.

this is by far the most intelligent conversation i think we've ever had :laugh:

i use windowsupdate.com because i've never really liked those balloons, i remember them from winme days and my god, they were horrible.

the osx firewall is not on by default, but it's not hard to find or turn on (system prefs > sharing > firewall > turn on), whereas with xp, you have to go into the connection's preferences and turn it on.

the media center update was just an example... there was one about a jet database? a journal thing?

and it cannot be that hard to add update checking into the updater... if you're about to download sp1 and a pre-sp1 patch, why can't the page/thingy check that? osx's software updater kind of does this by allowing users to download combined updates as opposed to each single update.

lol

i just use autopatcher now, great utility.

the firewall will be on by default on sp2. when i was using pearpc, i never saw the firewall, and id imagine that mnost users wouldnt either, but i guess if it ws my main os i might have gotten to it.

the jet thinghad something to do wit hxp, it was similair to the .net framework, not really needed but.... the tablet pc thing was the tablet viewer app. it let you read notes made in the tablet pc in windows home. i dont think ive everseen a non-xp patch in windows update. again, you must have misread the description.

there is a new version of windows update coming with sp2, i dont know much about it but iknow that it is agreat improvement.

lol

i just use autopatcher now, great utility.

the firewall will be on by default on sp2. when i was using pearpc, i never saw the firewall, and id imagine that mnost users wouldnt either, but i guess if it ws my main os i might have gotten to it.

the jet thinghad something to do wit hxp, it was similair to the .net framework, not really needed but.... the tablet pc thing was the tablet viewer app. it let you read notes made in the tablet pc in windows home. i dont think ive everseen a non-xp patch in windows update. again, you must have misread the description.

there is a new version of windows update coming with sp2, i dont know much about it but iknow that it is agreat improvement.

i haven't used winxp in awhile...

*runs to check ical*

since april 28... and i have a pretty ****ty memory, so maybe my memories are just starting to get fuzzy.

anyway, it all boils down to personally preference in the end, whether it's the hardware, operating system, or software. if you like windows update, cool enough, but for some reason (which i apparently can't remember), i always felt like software update was just better.

Holy @#*$. I come home from a night out to find THIS? :|

To everyone being positive, thank you. I appreciate it.

To the trolls and people who think Windows XP pwnz t3h earth (no names mentioned) - Why are you wasting your time? Do you get some sort of kick out of starting arguments?

If a mod wants to close this thread, feel free. It's turned into what I feared it would, even when I requested for the trolls to not bother.

(Remind me never to start a new thread in this Mac section ever again. Unless someone gives me troll food I can throw..)

Goodnight.

Woah, I just stopped by man... I said good games because the thread is about to be closed. Cool your jets.

ggz = good games? what does that have anything to do with anything?

Holy @#*$. I come home from a night out to find THIS? :|

To everyone being positive, thank you. I appreciate it.

To the trolls and people who think Windows XP pwnz t3h earth (no names mentioned) - Why are you wasting your time? Do you get some sort of kick out of starting arguments?

If a mod wants to close this thread, feel free. It's turned into what I feared it would, even when I requested for the trolls to not bother.

(Remind me never to start a new thread in this Mac section ever again. Unless someone gives me troll food I can throw..)

Goodnight.

dude what exactly did you expect posting this on Neowin you should have known better, it's the same as posting on Spymac.com "Why Windows is better then OS X". They are so one sided over there that they would eaten you alive.

dude what exactly did you expect posting this on Neowin you should have known better, it's the same as posting on Spymac.com "Why Windows is better then OS X". They are so one sided over there that they would eat you alive.

Because Neowin isnt completely one sided.