Coca-Cola C2

COCA-COLA UNVEILS U.S. LAUNCH PLANS FOR ITS NEW LOWER-CARB, LOWER-CAL COLA, COCA-COLA C2

Ads feature the music of The Rolling Stones and Queen

Millions to be introduced to the new soft drink during finals of American Idol

Los Angeles, May 24, 2004 - As the rock 'n' roll classic by The Rolling Stones goes, "You can't always get what you want." Until now.

Coca-Cola C2, with half the carbohydrates, calories and sugar of regular cola, and "all the great taste" of Coca-Cola, today was introduced to the United States at festivities in Los Angeles, featuring appearances by Paula Abdul and Ryan Seacrest. The Coca-Cola Company unveiled marketing plans for the new soft drink, that include the debut of a television commercial during the finals of American Idol on FOX this Tuesday and Wednesday. The ad uses the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

A second ad featuring "I Want to Break Free" by Queen will hit the air in July. Both ads show people enjoying spontaneous, liberating moments in life, representing the freedom to enjoy a cola with fewer carbs and calories without compromising on taste.

"We're responding again to what our consumers are telling us they want," said Don Knauss, president and chief operating officer, Coca-Cola North America. "Today's consumers are looking for choices that fit their lifestyles. They want to keep enjoying the special cola taste that Coca-Cola delivers, but with the option of a lower-carb, lower-cal soft drink. Coca-Cola C2 gives that freedom of choice."

Experiential sampling teams will hit the streets this week to offer people their first taste of Coca-Cola C2, with first stops in Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta, Chicago and Miami. Employees of the Coca-Cola system across the U.S. also will be given a case of Coca-Cola C2 to share with family and friends. In total, more than 12 million samples of the soft drink are expected to be handed out during the launch.

The new brand will begin showing up on store shelves across the U.S. in early June. Coca-Cola C2 was first unveiled to consumers in Japan on May 18, and will be available there on June 7.

An integrated marketing campaign will support the U.S. roll-out, including television, radio, outdoor, cinema and Internet advertising. Advertising will carry the tagline "Half the carbs. Half the cals. All the great taste."

The packaging graphics feature the familiar Coca-Cola trademark in black on a "Coca-Cola red" background, to provide a distinctive visual difference between Coca-Cola C2 and the flagship brand, Coca-Cola classic. Some packages will carry a special silver foil label, to enhance the design and distinction. Original point-of-sale merchandising featuring additional graphics also has been developed for in-store activation.

Coca-Cola C2 will be available immediately in 20-ounce PET bottles and 12-ounce cans, including special 8 and 18-can multi-packs. Coca-Cola C2 also will be offered at fountain soon after the launch of the bottle/can packaging.

In the past two years, The Coca-Cola Company has introduced four new products in the cola category - Vanilla Coke (2002), Diet Vanilla Coke (2002), Diet Coke with Lemon (2001), and, most recently, Diet Coke with Lime (2004).

Coca-Cola is the best-known and best-selling soft drink in the world. Diet Coke - known in some countries as Coca-Cola Light - is number one in the diet category, and the third best-selling soft drink overall worldwide.

The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company. Along with Coca-Cola, the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees and sports drinks. Through the world's largest distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding one billion servings each day.

For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, visit www.coca-cola.com

Press Media

Coca-Cola C2 8-Can Pack (4064x2704)

Coca-Cola C2 18-Can Pack (4064x2704)

Coca-Cola C2 12oz Can Dry (2656x3992)

Coca-Cola C2 12oz Can Wet (2656x3992)

Coca-Cola C2 20oz Bottle Dry (1522x3892)

Coca-Cola C2 20oz Bottle Wet (1324x3844)

Testing Grounds

c2_review_002.jpg

Nutrition Facts (20oz)

Calories: 45

Servings: 2.5

Serving Size: 8 fluid oz (240 ml)

c2_review_chart.gif

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Packaging

The standard 20-ounce (1.25 pints) bottle comes with the familiar design of the Coca-Cola Classic label and carries a silver trim along with the C2 logo nestled beneath "Coca-Cola". This is most likely to give the impression to consumers that Coca-Cola is not pushing forth a trend driven product to compete with the latest health figures, and rather show their seriousness with establishing this product as a permanent beverage in their lineup. This makes it much more approachable to the mass market.

Refrigerated

Using benzoate to extend the longevity of the flavor, Coca-Cola C2 has no difficulty retaining its taste as opposed to much speculation before the product hit store shelves. Even after backwashing the beverage, I found it still had a pleasant taste. The substitute ingredients do not carry the unauthentic after-taste of Diet Coca-Cola, but are nowhere near in your face as the original's signature taste. Still, Coca-Cola C2's taste is leaps and bounds over that of Diet Coca-Cola.

Room Temperature

I have grown fond of drinking Coca-Cola Classic at room temperature in the early evening when I feel at ease and not in need of a caffeine boost to wake up, so this was an obvious second test to go forth with in this review. Sadly, this is where Coca-Cola C2 falls short. The substitute ingredients used to heighten the nutritional value become apparent and there is a medicinal flavor followed by a mild after-taste (But not so much as to the point where I would scream, mind you).

There is where I found myself disappointed. Coca-Cola C2 tried desperately to mimic the overall appearance of Coca-Cola Classic, but found it to have the impression of any other diet beverage when kept at room temperature. After a second attempt I found myself not as forgiving as before and tossed the soda down our kitchen sink. Hopefully revisions of the formula will follow to address this problem, although it will not affect a majority of their target audience since most prefer to have their beverages refrigerated.

Conclusion

While the beverage has shortcomings compared to its big brother's taste, it is very refreshing and is a value considering the increase in nutritional value.

Pros

Physical appearance is near identical.

Absence of an after-taste if refrigerated.

Nutritional value is a large improvement.

Tastes a helluva' lot better than Diet Coca-Cola.

Cons

Limited Availability

Horrible after-taste at room temperature.

Higher Cost (Currently, Subject To Change)

Lacks the initial kickback taste of Coca-Cola Classic.

Chouzan gives Coca-Cola C2 a single thumb up, with the other stabilizing a can of Coca-Cola Classic... :shifty:

--------------------------------------------------

Special thanks to David for helping me swing back a few during the tests to see how they would taste with the combination of NyQuil. :laugh: