What do you YOU use to code?

Question

Alright, I haven't coded anything in a while, and in celebration of my new domain, I decided to begin to try again. I will most likely be coding in HTML/CSS/PHP. What is the best program to get (hopefully freeware) to code?

Alright, I haven't coded anything in a while, and in celebration of my new domain, I decided to begin to try again. I will most likely be coding in HTML/CSS/PHP. What is the best program to get (hopefully freeware) to code?

I would just use Notepad and a few reference books to code. Notepad is free, and has no annoying formatting "help" (although there is no syntax highlighting). I suppose that if you need help coding, or like tag insertion, you could use Dreamweaver MX, but it certainly isn't cheap, and probably isn't worth your while. Try coding in Notepad and see how you like it, and if you find that you want syntax highlighting and other such fancy things, look into another program then.

Right now I'm using Dreamweaver because it's served me well for a long time and it has some support for a few of the tools I use on regular basis (accessibility, cvs, and it's development/production server setup). I've been using it for years but I'm starting to have a hard time justifying paying for software when I'm only using 10-20% of it's features: I don't remember the last time I've seen 'design view'.

As a result I'm turning to some of the descent alternatives:

emacs was the environment I did a lot of console c programming in unix with. I've used it for editing HTML, PHP, and CSS and it does the job - with a few macros to check my work in/out and upload to a testing server and it's serviceable but IMO it's too general purpose for what i want to do.

cssedit is a new css editor I've been toiling away in for a while. It doesn't do the cvs tricks but I think I might be able to write something up in applescript to cover that. As far as editing code goes - i think it's got dreamweaver beaten hands down (even it's 'graphical' mode is good: i just prefer text).

bbedit has come highly recommended so it's going to spend a month in my applications folder as a trial. So far I don't have anything to complain about except maybe that it's still too general purpose: it edits text: any kind of text. I'd prefer something that just did xhtml and maybe a couple of server-side languages like php, coldfusion, jsp, and asp.net (css would be nice, but cssedit has that covered). I want a text editor that was targeted strictly for designers - bbedit started that way but now also does assembly source code, c++, etc.

I only mention it because I like what i've seen of it's xhtml editing and it is highly recommended.

Notepad.exe is a great tool with no stupid program formatting and extras like in the commercial programs. I use to use notepad when I was learning HTML and CSS but now I just use Microsoft Frontpage to update my sites. However, mastering a language should always come first before using a program like Frontpage or Dreamweaver. If you make a mistake with a commercial program, knowing the language will automatically help you by just fixing the mistake in text mode by hand. Whatever works for you is best though.

I use Dreamweaver. WYSIWYG for quickly laying the site out, then I switch to code view to make the markup more semantic, tweak some of the CSS rules, add PHP and javascript code, stuff like that.

Texturizer (http://www.texturizer.net)

Why? Not sure...I'm pretty fond of all of the syntax highlighting in these types of programs, and just haven't felt the urge to switch to a (probably) better solution that Texturizer. I use to use TextPad, pretty good stuff, didn't like the "classic" interface feel though.

TopStyle was suggested by metal_dragen on another forum a few days ago when we were having this same conversation. Give it a try, lovely lovely program. (The same company also makes FeedDemon, kick ass program)

I might give some of these other alternative syntax highlighting editors a whirl.

Windows: ConTEXT

Linux: gedit

Any GUI text editor with tabs and syntax highlighting will do me.

If somebody knows an open source alternative to context let me know :)

php/html - notepad on windows, pico on linux :)

c/c++ - visual studio for windows related programming, sometimes used for linux programming for syntax highlighting