• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Console style RPG?

Rudy    457

Is there any console style RPGs for PC? because i have looked and looked ever since i had a PC and i've never been able to find a true console style RPG (2d prefered but i'll take 3d if thats all there is...)

eAi    0

Maybe everyone else understands what you mean, but I don't ;) A console style RPG?

eAi

Btw: search for Console Style RPG and you get http://www.theroots-game.com/

Rudy    457

a console style rpg is an rpg like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden etc

ragn4rokk 2.0    0
Is there any console style RPGs for PC? because i have looked and looked ever since i had a PC and i've never been able to find a true console style RPG (2d prefered but i'll take 3d if thats all there is...)

I'm confused. What exactly are you talking about? Why not just play a console RPG on a console? Or are you looking for ROMs or something of that sort?

/Edit:

Just read your other post :p

There are ROMs for those games, but I can't help you in getting them. Also, Final Fantasy VII and VIII were both brought to the PC, as was FFXI. I'd strongly insist that you don't get FFVIII for computer, though... for me, that game just played like poop on a PC.

Rudy    457
I'm confused. What exactly are you talking about? Why not just play a console RPG on a console? Or are you looking for ROMs or something of that sort?

/Edit:

Just read your other post :p

There are ROMs for those games, but I can't help you in getting them. Also, Final Fantasy VII and VIII were both brought to the PC, as was FFXI. I'd strongly insist that you don't get FFVIII for computer, though... for me, that game just played like poop on a PC.

nah i played all the roms i could get believe me lol :p

im just looking for similar games on PC

eAi    0

I don't think theres a huge PC market for RPGs like FF, as the PC control system and resolution etc allows much more detailed games (I've not played much FF, so maybe I'm making the wrong judgement).

I wonder if Monkey Island counts as an RPG...

eAi

Colin.B    24

The only one is Beyond Good and Evil. It isn't really an rpg, it just kind of has the same combat system as Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. That's all I can recommend and it isn't even what you were looking for :(. Sorry mate:/. Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic is a good rpg for the pc though....well..a great one actually...but I'm sure you already knew that.

AgEnTsMiTh    0

Gothic 1 and 2 is a great RPG as well.

T-Grey    0

There aren't many true console games out there for the PC. However, I've found that Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights both give the same feeling that those RPGs do. I would highly suggest getting into those games.

Lanky    0

Sceptera Core is a classic if you have an older computer :read: pentium 90 :/read: :D

EmuZombie    139

Gradia 2.

Hard to find the PC version though, but it is out there...

Flash    1

grandia 2 is a great rpg for pc, you'll enjoy it as much as i did

nekrosoft13    626
a console style rpg is an rpg like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden etc

oh, all those bad ones

well you might find some but, most pc gamers don't know them

there are bunch of good real rpgs, like Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, KOTOR, Gothic 1&2, and more.

more comming soon.

and T-Grey KOTOR and NWN, are no where near like console rpg, NWN and KOTOR are actually good games.

edit

btw, another amazing RPG from the Best RPG Company BIOWARE

just started production http://www.bioware.com/games/dragon_age/

Vodun    0

Only PC RPG that feels like a console one is a really really good, but really really old (and to some, ugly) game called Anachronox. It was the first game by Ion Storm I think (Diakatana doesn't count). The particular studio that made it got closed down a while afterwards, so I dunno if you can still find it anywhere. It's really good tho.

The only site I can think of that is still around is Planet Anachronox.

*edit*

What's with the console bashing? If you can say NWN is remotely good then you have no right to talk down on any console game. Get the stick out of your ass and actually try some. Also, saying KOTOR isn't like a console RPG is soooo ignorant it's just sad. It IS a bleedin' console RPG you prat, it was made for X-Box first. :angry:

Fred Derf    214

If want to get something from the discount bin then consider Diablo I and Diablo II. They were great games. Fairly straightforward hack and slash but entertaining nonetheless.

ragn4rokk 2.0    0
oh, all those bad ones

well you might find some but, most pc gamers don't know them

I want to kick you for that. Why would you start bashing games out of the blue like that? He was looking for suggestions, not opinions.

nekrosoft13    626

if you want to kick me, get out from under your bed, and get over here

KOTOR might have been realeased on xbox first, but in heart it was a PC game, controls on pc are much better, graphics are too. it was build on slightly modified Bioware Aurora engine using Simplifiled Dungeon & Dragon 3rd Edition rule set.

ragn4rokk 2.0    0
KOTOR might have been realeased on xbox first, but in heart it was a PC game, controls on pc are much better, graphics are too. it was build on slightly modified Bioware Aurora engine using Simplifiled Dungeon & Dragon 3rd Edition rule set.

From all the reviews of the game I read, a lot of people seem to prefer the console controls more- especially the inventory and status screens. The graphics are better on PC? Well, yeah. Most gaming rigs are capable of running a better looking game than an X Box. As for the rest of your post... how would that even affect the game at all? :p

nekrosoft13    626

i played both versions, and gamepads are only good for sports games, and maybe racing games (steering wheel better).

and btw, so when will you kick me

ragn4rokk 2.0    0
i played both versions, and gamepads are only good for sports games, and maybe racing games (steering wheel better).

and btw, so when will you kick me

I was kidding :p

I think you're one of the only people I've ever known to say consoles are only good for sports racing games. I'm not trying to flame or anything, but, well, have you even played many console games? I'd have to say platformers on consoles vs. PCs are usually about even. FPSs would have to go to PC. Single player RPGs... I'd definitely go with a console.

nekrosoft13    626

kidding? damn i'm disappointed i wanted to crack some heads

well back to topic

FPSs - 100% PC, playing with gamepad is pathetic (and yes i tried)

Strategy - 100% PC

RPG - well that depends,

---- TRUE RPG (NWN, KOTOR, DIABLO, Baldurs. ETC) 100% PC

---- Simplified RPG - PC or Console

Sports Game - PC or Console (for better sound, graphics PC, use Gamepad)

Racing Game - (like Sports game, instead of Gamepad, use Steering wheel)

Platformers - Console

2d game - Console

Fighting game - because no other choice, it has to be console :|

Simulation - PC

ragn4rokk 2.0    0
RPG - well that depends,

---- TRUE RPG (NWN, KOTOR, DIABLO, Baldurs. ETC) 100% PC

---- Simplified RPG - PC or Console

"True RPG"? Who's to say what an RPG is or isn't? All the games you named were basically D&D variants. Consoles have their fair share of real, meaty role players as well. Chrono Trigger? It's still brilliant to this day. Final Fantasy? I admit, some can be snooze fests, but when the going gets good they are absolutely enthralling. Even Pokemon was a great game :woot:

I guess it's all opinion, though.

redfish    470

I grew up playing Ultima, Might & Magic, Bard's Tale, etc ; the progenitors of all computer RPGs. Ultima of course is in a class of its own, though some people consider the later ones 'adventure-RPGs' and not real RPGs. Might & Magic and Bard's Tale are simple stat raising first person games.

A lot of newer RPGs, like Diablo, because they are basically like FPS in the guise of an rpg are called 'action-RPGs'.

And then there are console RPGs which are very simple and which generally I don't appreciate in the same way, although I enjoyed Pokemon and Zelda.

Btw, has anyone here played Fallout

Cheshire Cat    0

try for an old pc game called revenant, that was quite console-ish

i got it and its a kool game, but you gotta play it on a really old pc otherwise it runs at about a million frames per second

BigDaddy    10

Fallout series or Diablo was quite awesome IMO