Email giga, terabyte war starts

Daniel F.

THE CONTROVERSY surrounding the prelaunch of Gmail has reached new levels.

Soon after Gmail launched their 1Gb free email service, others followed suit - spymac.com had a 1GB ad-free inbox offer complemented by 330MB storage space.

Aventuremail upped the ante with a 2GB mail service as well as an online agenda, everything being based on the hivemail plateform. Finally, the straw which broke the camel back, youvegotpost.com launched a 1TB, well, almost unlimited inbox.

This started a flamewar at Neowin. Neowin caught by a storm in a GMail tea cup? According to that particular thread, "GMail already has a loyal elegance [elegance, you sure Desire? Ed.] of fan boys & malicious members" which apparently "didn?t like what they heard".

The whole thing was started by the word "unlimited" which like bulls**t is almost always considered as a foul word in the world of webhosters and service providers.

Youvegotpost.com has since reduced the 1TB limit to a more respectable 20Mb. As for aventuremail, we contacted it over its service.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16588

BxBoy

It's a crazy war, but I think Gmail will come out victorious in the end!

HoochieMamma

Why would you want 1 TB?? EVERY single email I have recieved wouldnt even come close to 500 MB

zhangm

I'm happy with me 100MB at Yahoo. Its a shame to see a few bad Gmail users ruin it for others. What a bunch of elitist pricks...

Bearded Kirklander

I am so sick of all these fanboy wars. Even to free email. How pathetic. I think I'm going to stick with hotmail. It works with Outlook Express and addresses are pretty disposable if need be.

• 1 month later...
madd_matt

this is why i want to host my own email. 120 gigs of hard drive space should work fine :)

Mister Lamar

some people are in need of things they don't need. A terebyte of storage, Ha, let me go. This is another topic I vow not to respond to again. :angry:

+John Teacake

Why dont these companys just say unlimited space. Who cares about space anyway. I use what works for me.

Schmoove
I'm happy with me 100MB at Yahoo. Its a shame to see a few bad Gmail users ruin it for others. What a bunch of elitist pricks...

What exactly do you mean by that?

How do some GMail users ruine it?

I use GMail and I like it, but it isn't really the best thing since sliced bread.... far from it even. Though I really like to know how GMail users ruine it for you.

Kriz
Why would you want 1 TB?? EVERY single email I have recieved wouldnt even come close to 500 MB

Same here, its un-needed.

And with Youvegotpost.com dropping from 1TB down to 20mb, it just proves that all they care about is getting noticed and getting as big as Gmail.

Gergith
Why dont these companys just say unlimited space. Who cares about space anyway. I use what works for me.

for one reason and one reason only, people who would see the word unlimited and test this...

im sure you could sign up to enough mailing lists to fill at least 10 mb a day... (Y) hehehe