Opera named best browser of 2004

Sorry, not trying to rain on the big Firefox parade going on right now, but I just thought I would post this interesting article that PC World released saying that they picked Opera to be the best web browser of 2004. I know this won't be the popular choice here, but as many know, I obviously agree with them and couldn't resist this little gloat... :D

Link to article: http://www.w3reports.com/index.php?itemid=390

By: Press Release

Friday June 04 2004, 13:59:51

http://www.w3reports.com

The US edition of PC World, the most widely-read technology or business magazine, has unveiled the 2004 winners of its annual World Class Awards, with Opera 7.23 gaining the title as best Web browser.

The magazine highlights Opera's many innovative features in its reasoning: "...a fleet-footed package that provides innovative ways to view, analyze, and store Web pages. Opera's security options are strong and easy to configure."

"We are honored to earn the best browser title," says Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "The recognition confirms the trend we are seeing on desktop: more and more users are tired of the ageing Internet Explorer, and are looking to get more out of the Internet. For these users Opera offers a fast, feature-rich alternative that is both fun and more productive."

PC World's editors make their selections based on exemplary usability, design, innovation, features, performance, and value from a reliable manufacturer. The full article is available at: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,116015,00.asp

Opera is now available in version 7.51 for Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris. Opera 7.51 offers users hungry for a better Internet experience the latest advancements in Internet technologies, with the same engineering excellence and inventiveness that made its browser rendering so famous, now also offers a top-notch e-mailer, newsreader, IRC-compatible chat client, contact database, support for RSS newsfeeds and much, much more. Still, with all the features, Opera remains the fastest, best coded, small browsing application in the world, weighing in at 3.5 MB.

Get Opera 7.51 at http://www.opera.com/download/

god i would never have picked opera of all browsers as the best one of 04'

and theirs nothing wrong with trucker hats

ha, well it is obvious we don't agree on much....guess that means one thing...

You're wrong.

JK...don't have a cow. But yes, browser issue aside, the trucker hat fad is way old and needs to die.

lol, yes very good seeming that Firefox hasn't even reached version 1 yet :whistle: Opera didn't really have much of a competition. Sorry to burst your gloat bubble.

Don't get me wrong I use opera and I think its really cool, but I am also watching the development of Firefox. ;)

lol, yes very good seeming that Firefox hasn't even reached version 1 yet :whistle: Opera didn't really have much of a competition. Sorry to burst your gloat bubble.

Don't get me wrong I use opera and I think its really cool, but I am also watching the development of Firefox. ;)

yea, but something I thought was nice was that they were basing this off the 7.23 version of Opera, not even the most updated which is version 7.51. Most anyone that uses Opera updated knows that they made some pretty significant changes in the newer version.

I've found Opera's page rendering compatibility to be sub-par, and the fact that they charge money for it is laughable. IE and its enhanced variants (e.g., myIE2), Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, etc., are all free. Why would I pay for something with no distinct advantages over a free browser like Firefox?

I prefer a frontend for IE, like MyIE2. Mainly because of rendering issues I have with several websites I frequent. However, I do agree with tlogank that Opera is the fastest browser I've seen, and I like the low resource usage of Opera. I wish it were free, but sometimes I don't mind paying for a program if it meets all of my needs. I would probably purchase it if the sites I use that have problems in Opera worked correctly.

haha, its june and already best of 2004? funny, also, this article is from june 2, and just today you point it out? haha seems a little bit of a backlash for the 0.9 release of FF if you ask me.

Not sure about windows, but Opera on OS X is a lot better then firefox.

I am really starting to like the windows release of firefox though, it is a lot better then IE.

It would be nice to see what they compared it to, the only thing I see from the link provided was a blurb about how wonderful Opera is. Compared to IE, sure most any other browser is awesome. But how many did they compare?

I tried it out the other day. The interface is just too cluttered for me...the ads annoy me (why pay for something I can get for free). On the other hand, it rendered pretty fast. It's an okay browser, but I won't put up with the ads...

I've found Opera's page rendering compatibility to be sub-par, and the fact that they charge money for it is laughable. IE and its enhanced variants (e.g., myIE2), Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, etc., are all free. Why would I pay for something with no distinct advantages over a free browser like Firefox?

I challenge you to find me one page on the internet that will render correctly in Firefox but not Opera...please do it.

Opera is a pretty good browser but its a little cluttered for my taste, even when I customized the hell out of it. I still much perfer firefox, but to each there own.

I tried it out the other day.  The interface is just too cluttered for me...the ads annoy me (why pay for something I can get for free). On the other hand, it rendered pretty fast.  It's an okay browser, but I won't put up with the ads...

How is this cluttered?

Opera is a pretty good browser but its a little cluttered for my taste, even when I customized the hell out of it. I still much perfer firefox, but to each there own.

operaclean.jpg

Wow, nicely done. I seriously opened up a Quick Reply box and started typing "That's a picture of Firefox" cause it looks so similar :laugh:

But, when it all comes down to it, ad-free open source software will reign over the rest. Opera's main weakness is that they charge for it. But hey, to each his own.

My opera window is far from crowded. The first time you install it, it may look crowded but its EXTRMEMELY simple to remove all the cumbersome things from the picture. Once that gets done its very very simple and fast to use. I won't look back. Oh, and I tried FF and I was far from impressed. You shouldn't have to use extentions or tweaks to get a program to work properly. KTP FireFox (Sh!tiest browser of 2004)

But, when it all comes down to it, ad-free open source software will reign over the rest. Opera's main weakness is that they charge for it. But hey, to each his own.

How does open-source make it any better?

Sure, Opera "costs" alot of "money" to "buy" it, but as long as you know where to get this "money", you can easily "acquire" a "registered" copy of Opera. If you get my drift.

Opera is hands down the best.

Firefox is decent, however there is one inadequate feature: The Right-Click menu

In Opera if you right click you can open "in the background" ahhh refreshing, especially when you have a site like Neowin where news posts have abotu 3 - 6 different links you want to view adn oen all at the same time without being on top.