Legal Copy of Windows

607 members have voted

1. 1. Legal Copy of Windows

• Yes, I did go into the store and get a copy of Windows
    • Yes, it comes with my computer
    • Yes, I bought it for from a kid at school
    • No, I managed to get a copy from IRC/bittorrent/(the internet)
    • No, I got my copy from a friend
    • No, I got a copy from the internet and I sell it to kids at school too!
    • Others, please specify!

A birthday gift from a good friend. She bought it from Wal Mart, October 2001. I was excited, although I thought I lost all my music and pics, through the upgrade. Microsoft helped me find them...... Countless reformats, I have to call microsoft to activate now.

oh actually i forgot, i do own a copy of Windows XP Home that i got when i bought my laptop.....too bad the first thing i did was format using my corp version :p

lol! That's exactly what I do when my family members buy pre-built computers. They must be formatted with a *cough*good*cough* copy of XP. I would do it on mine, but now I run Mac/Linux. :D

Hey, actually just to point out something, so many games and music cd's and software and such have copy protection on them, causing an error which stops you copying, but microsoft hasnt seemed to decide to do this yet...

The reason being is that they want some people to copy their software, so it has more users, so the name of Microsoft spreads, and so forth.

So we're actually HELPING Microsoft if we copy their software :D

Hey, actually just to point out something, so many games and music cd's and software and such have copy protection on them, causing an error which stops you copying, but microsoft hasnt seemed to decide to do this yet...

The reason being is that they want some people to copy their software, so it has more users, so the name of Microsoft spreads, and so forth.

So we're actually HELPING Microsoft if we copy their software :D

well that is true to a point

Downloaded it when it came out, on 56k! :|

i don't see a reason why this is against the rule.

Unless someone says where to download it, this is not against the rules.

well that is true to a point

Because Microsoft is not very well known outside of Redmond, it's really a tiny company you know. (? :blink: )

no, get linux and screw microsoft.

I would, but I still want to be able to do useful things with my computer.

I have Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 and various other bits as part of my works Microsoft Campus Licensing Agreement.

And McAfee VirusScan Enterprise though a similar agreement with Network Associates.

I have Windows XP Pro from school, and I also have an illegal copy which I use to install because it has SP1 on it where as the one I got from school doesn't...

Sure I could just download SP1 everytime I format and reinstall but thats just too much work...

Other. Uni gave me a legit copy for one of the units I did. Bout time I got something good out of Uni. :p

Same here. Also got 2003 from the same source

no, get linux and screw microsoft.

I would but I like to play games listen to music surf the net etc.. Its nice to install a driver with out haveing to re-compile the kernel. Click on a .wma file and have it play instead of trying to find an app that will play it with out crashing. How ever I do like Linux it just is not a every day OS for me. I want to play my games music DVD's compileing software for hours. Linux has come a long way it just is not where I would like it to be yet.

Got Windows XP Pro the first day it went on sale at Best Buy.

I have afew copies of XP home and one of Pro from college which i got for $5(one time offer). I run XP corp on my comps because I made the stupid mistake of buying home early when xp first came out....

Just like my mp3 collection, slowly working on going legal, buying cds that get the most listen time and move backwards from there

I have Windows XP Pro from school, and I also have an illegal copy which I use to install because it has SP1 on it where as the one I got from school doesn't...

Sure I could just download SP1 everytime I format and reinstall but thats just too much work...

you could just download the full SP1 file and slipstream and burn the image to a CD-R then you have a legal SP1 CD, but might as well wait for SP2 to be released to do that. :yes:

I paid for XP Home, then downloaded XP Pro when I realised a couple of things I was trying to do are only features in Pro, not Home (Internet Information Services and Concurrent Sessions).

I actually have bought more copies of windows than I have computers. :wacko: On my current setup I installed an OEM version that I bought when I bought the parts for the system. I had put the CD and key in with a bunch of old papers and my mom didn't notice and threw them away in the process of throwing away the papers (not her fault). Then 3 weeks ago by hard drive kicked the big one and with no windows I had to buy a new hdd AND windows again. :( Plus a whole load of copies of older versions that I have bought over the years.

Edited by jonkun

The point is that A LOT of people steal things everyday.  So don't go around dissing people who are using a pirated version of Windows.  It's not your place to judge.

The level of participation in software piracy does not change the fact that it interferes with the intellectual rights of others and is illegal. Thievery is an issue closely related to morals, which varies from person to person. So, in some respects, each individual is given their own choice as to pass judgement on actions that abide, challenge or cause influence on their own personal insight. To be honest, I feel it is not your place to deny others of such freedom.

As for this poll, I own an OEM copy of Windows XP which was bundled with one of my computers I purchased a year ago.

Edited by Chouzan

The level of participation in software piracy does not change the fact that it interferes with the intellectual rights of others and is illegal. Theivery is a issue closely related to morals which varies from person to person. So, in some respects, each individual is given their own choice as to pass judgement on actions that abide, challenge or cause influence on their own personal insight.

As for this poll, I own an OEM copy of Windows XP which was bundled with one of my computers I purchased a year ago.

Technically I think this is illegal too. A copy of windows is only designated for use on one machine at a time.