• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Legal Copy of Windows

607 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the evn show    138
I don't think Adobe gives out photoshop for free

and I don't remember Apple did this: "Hey people, now go to the nearby Apple Store and grab a free copy of Panther if you wish to try it out on PearPC!" And maybe Flash, dreamweaver... Office 2003.

Maybe they're using the demo? I'd bet that percentage is pretty small - but not everybody who has 'good' software pirates it. I've got photoshop 7 legally, and I've installed the demo of CS (though it has some cool features I'm not going to get it unless work will pay for it). It's only about $250 for a student - that's pretty reasonable.

I just got office 2004 STE by talking to the microsoft campus rep - she gave me a 'special deal' because i traded in the (usless to me) copy of office 2003 thats included with our software bundle. Even at $150 - for any college kid that's not even a beer tab on a weekend.

Visual Studio is also a freebie (probably for every computer-science major in north america) - even for people who have to pay for it - the academic version is only $100 so there's no real reason to steal it.

Dreamweaver is also pretty accessible if you're a student: about $150.

There will always be the kiddies who pirate software because they're young and think it's cool, and the people who can't/won't afford it. There are those who can justify piracy to themselves, and those that don't care: all the ranting in the world won't change their opinion - either they grow out of it or they don't, but there's nothing you can do as an anonymous person on the net to change their mind.

The whole discussions of Longhorn (screenshots... etc) or PearPC show how many people pirate soft alread:/:/

The level of piracy in those threads is embarassing so I just stay away. No point in getting yourself worked up of some strangers pirating themselves a copy of mac os to run in a painfully slow emulator or alpha-quality microsoft operating systems.

adam.sproul    0

Got Windows with my Dell. :)

Bizkit    25
Maybe they're using the demo?

Wow. I didn't even know they had a demo! You totally rock!

I know a kid that found an XP disc on the street, with the CD and everything, but he doesn't want to activate it cause he thinks that he will get caught. He also just installs a ton of demos and formats every month so he doesn't have to pay for anything.

I am slowing trying to get everything legal on my computer, and the only thing that I have left is the music. A friend gave me a copy when his Dad ordered two by mistake.

MagicMan    0

Was sent a boxed copy by the nice folks at Microsoft for being on the beta program :)

b0m8er    3

Have downloaded Corporate XP Pro for one of my PCs. And got one leagally with my laptop.

sdb815    0

Got mine from newegg.com for $96.00.

TwiztedCam    0

I pirated XP a while back ( a couple times, yay go me :rolls eyes: ). But since I got my new Dell that came with XP...well, I haven't had a reason to pirate it.

a_fire_inside    0

Got it legally with my laptop, but on my other pc its a copy

jkrupa128    3

I've never paid for ANY software and don't plan to start any time soon...

RDX1    0

A friend that works at Microsoft gave me a copy of Windowx XP Pro, for exchange in cash. :ninja:

mihir    0

i have a legal copy on my laptop, and osx on the other laptop

themartin    0

i dont have it yet, but im gettin a copy of XP 64 bit off of microsofts website

RDX1    0
i dont have it yet, but im gettin a copy of XP 64 bit off of microsofts website

Do you have a 64bit processor? How do you like it? As for the Windows XP 64bit edition, tell me if it is just a trial or the full version, I downloaded it too.

themartin    0

i do, but i dont have it setup yet im wait for the rest of my parts to arive

i have the clawhammer core 3200+ with a Chaintech ZNF3-250 motherboard

and its a trail, but it last for a year. and i think they email you when there are new versions of it out

Edited by themartin

[hxc]    0

my workplace bought an extra copy of xp pro by accident and gave it to me :) it was quite a nice surprise, but apparently i was doing a really good job.

edit/ for those curious, i was the network and computer tech at a decently sized public library.

lieb39    0

Came with my laptops. Gotta love it, hehe. Oh ya, also brought Windows XP Home.. but don't use it.

-lieb39

troGGers    1

I got mine from MSDN through my university! Tee Hee.

NetRyder    1

Windows XP Home OEM pre-installed on laptop (Dell also sent me the actual installation CD rather than one of those silly recovery disks)

Windows XP Pro through my university's MSDN Academic Alliance license. :)

Joseph B    37

IRC.

Premgenius    27

and whats the point?

FryzDog    0

I got mine form a program through my college...

FryzDog    0

I heard that SP2 will not work with any copy other than those obtained legally.

iMonkey    1

Such good hearing you have...

Most of the tech interweb heard that too...

Guest Dan C   

Got it from MSDN :)

mistical    36

I have 1 Legal copy on my laptop (pro)

other computers not... have to admit it as others, but I guess for buying windows 95 and 98 SE in the past... this makes up for that, lol. :p